Swim Bike Run

virginia triathlon series starts next weekend (Read 279 times)

Anybody attending the sprint tri in Smithfield VA.  It will be my first ever.
      It's a little far for a sprint, but I'm thinking of doing the Patriot half in Sept.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.

I practiced the swim to run transition for the first time today.  I'm sure it was a comical site.  I staged my gear in the front yard, drenched myself with the hose then ran and changed for the bike, rode around a little, then transitioned to the run.  That is not an easy evolution!  I will definitely lose time in the transition but at least I know where I stand now.
          Practicing is a great idea, the better you can visualize your transition, the better it should go.  remember, don't get flustered, but T-time counts.  Every race I work, I see people loafing in the TA.  I also see people forget to put on their helmet, take off their helmet, forget their number, etc.  Practicing really helps.

I like to lay out everything in the order I'll need it;  then mentally go through the entire race while standing in the TA.  Walk the TA, you will have to find your rack from both directions while in race mode.

Have fun!

I drove the bike route for the Smithfield Sprint yesterday and I'm glad I did.  There is a very tricky part where you take a sharp turn at the bottom of a hill and the road is covered in sand and gravel from a washout.  I hope they clean this up before the race otherwise there could be some nasty wrecks there.  Then directly after that is a steep climb.

I'm getting rather nervous about doing all the right stuff at this race.  They have a good briefing sheet online talking about all the rules and tips.  It's very confusing to me.  They have a newbie meeting tomorrow during packet pickup and I'm hoping that will straighten out my questions.  The presenting of the numbers in different events is baffling to me.  I will be changing clothes all the time because it will be around 50F for the bike which to me calls for a jacket, then I can probably take that off for the run.

My first Tri went off without a hitch.  I had no real reference point for the swim or bike but it ended up that I predicted my times on those pretty accurately.  My goal was 1 hour 6 min and I beat that by 18 seconds.

300m swim - 6:54 (need work here)

1st trans - 2:02 (need work here)

10 mile bike - 34:01 (need lots of work here)

2nd trans - 0:47 (happy with this)

5k run - 22:00 (obviously my strong point)

114/294 men

Great job!