Swim Bike Run

Brick Survey (Read 419 times)

I'm curious as to what kind of brick workouts everyone does. As with all types of training, there are a million opinions out there-some training plans wait until last 3 weeks, one book I have says do them every week, I've heard people say just tack on 2 miles to the end of a long bike, etc.

How often? What type of work-long bike, short bike, fast bike (ditto for the run)?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When I trained for my first duathlon this past spring my plan had me do 1 every few weeks up until the last month or so (IIRC)...then I was doing 1-2 every week.  You can go back through my log for March and April to see the bulk of training for that.  Generally it was a relatively short and fast-ish bike with a run after...I think the runs were often easier, until the very end.  Bricks made a HUGE difference on race day.  Really trained my legs to not be jello-like after transition.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My schedule that I am loosely following says once a week, but running is my strongest so I haven't done as much as I should.
        T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Its a good idea to do a run off the bike after you long rides.  A half hour is generally sufficient.  If you are preparing for a half IM or an IM, then doing an hour or an hour and a half ROTB after your long rides is a good idea.  These don't need to be done all year, just during the last six or eight weeks out from your big race.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Thanks for the responses. It occurred to me that the answer I least wanted to hear (run after long bike) is probably the one I should be doing. Either way, I need to start adding more of them.
            protoplasm72

This year my only bricks have been my races.  I've done enough bricks to know how to pace myself.  I'd rather get in a longer bike ride or run instead of splitting it up.  Thats just my thought.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

This year my only bricks have been my races.  I've done enough bricks to know how to pace myself.  I'd rather get in a longer bike ride or run instead of splitting it up.  Thats just my thought.

Why not go for your long bike ride, then run for 15 or 20 minutes when you get back from the ride? You really gon't need to get a quality run in to make the brick a positive training experience.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

protoplasm72

Why not go for your long bike ride, then run for 15 or 20 minutes when you get back from the ride? You really gon't need to get a quality run in to make the brick a positive training experience.

I'm Lazy

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I'm Lazy

and apparently you're honest

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I've done a couple.  Mostly it's been a long bike ride and then run for about a mile afterwards just to get my body used to the switch.  I should probably do more, but I'm lazy too
                      Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                        I've done a couple.  Mostly it's been a long bike ride and then run for about a mile afterwards just to get my body used to the switch.  I should probably do more, but I'm lazy too

I did the long bike/short-ish run this weekend as well. I'll probably keep doing it-replace one of my shorter runs with that brick and then maybe do some shorter bike/hard run bricks as race week approaches.

It is amazing how we've redefined "lazy".