Swim Bike Run

Transitions (Read 201 times)

Supa Dupa Fly

So my first Tri is 2 months away...and I'm a little nervous/intimidated by some aspects... including the transitions. (It's a sprint tri) Can some of you vets give a beginner some pointers on what has worked for you? What all will I need? What do you wear? If you wear a wetsuit, what do you wear under it (same as what you would have worn without wetsuit)? When I've seen pictures from Tri's it looks like during the run you might have to wear a number, like in a road race? But this isn't worn during the swim (obviously) and the bike either? I've read up some about it online, but just looking for some opinions here... (Oh I'm male if that makes any difference to suggestions, lol) Thanks!! Evil grin
    ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
      tcerda, I practiced T1 by hopping in the shower, running downstairs to the garage, and getting on my bike. It really did take practice! I wear a trisuit with a wetsuit over that (or just the trisuit). Before the bike, I hook a racebelt around my waist, which has my bib # on it. The race belt is just a lanyard I rigged up with a super-fast clip. The bib # is on my back during the bike, and when it's time for the run I pull it around to the front. Easy!
        Here in GA we don't get much occassion to wear a wet suit so I usually wear tri bottoms then put on a singlet or tight shirt for the bike/run. Don't wear bike shorts for the swim- the pads retain water and make the rest of the race very uncomfortable- get some tri shorts. As far the bib- get a race belt at your local tri store. Most race will have a booth set up to buy things like that so you may be able to get one there. BTW- in the transition area- make sure you have everything laid out so you can change quickly. Some people will have a tub of water and a towel so they can rinse their feet off and fry them before putting their sox/shoes on. Good luck in you tri!!
        http://distance-runner.blogspot.com

The voice of mile 18

practicing transitions is a very good idea. wear what you will race in during the swim under yoru wetsuit - it's really hard to put dry clothes on a wetbody in a hurry. also sadly for most races there is a no nudity rule so no changing out of a bathing suit/bike shorts in transition unless there is a changing tent (which is extremely rare in races less than a full ironman) I wear my race belt on the swim just to save time and you do wear it on the bike so the refs can ID you in case you are drafting/blocking ect. some folks go without socks but don't try this without practicing it first maybe bring balloons or something to use a milestone to find your spot quickly/easier it's amazing how confusing it can be when you're in a rush. get to the race early to set your stuff up AND NEVER EVER EVER EVER move someones stuff without asking first

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

db7

Good pointers!! Thanks guys and girls. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Supa Dupa Fly

Yes, Thanks everyone! Yes Yes
              ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
                I have done over 50 Tris including 9 Ironman Races so I have had a lot of practice. Some more tips: Use socks that go on easy when your feet are damp. I like the The Wigwam Ultimax socks. They are very thin and have a close smooth knit. Use elastic shoelaces or cord locks. They can really help save time in bike to run transition. Before you pull on your wet suit spray your legs with pam or one the cheaper brand of nonstick cooking products. This will help the wetsuit come of easier. Body glide can help with this also. all these liitle things add up to make for a faster, smooth transition