Swim Bike Run

Replace swimming during training period (Read 125 times)

obk

Hi there,

I have just seen the doctor for some nose problems, and got out with a complete ban of swimming for the next 4 to 6 weeks. My next triathlon race is in september, so I hope by then I will be able to swim. But would anyone suggest a replacement to swimming during these 4 to 6 weeks?

Thanks.

2012 goals: Run 650Km; Ride 1800Km; Swim 140Km; Finish Sprint Triathlon in 1:30; Finish half marathon (no time limit) Done - jan 29 in Marrakech, Morocco - timing: 2h07m51s; Finish Olympic Distance triathlon (Done - Nov 10 in Agadir)

Elly.

There is no substitute.  Find a new doctor. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Muebele

I think there are other exercises you could do to use the same muscles, but use the time to focus on the other disciplines to gain strength in other areas so that you can make up for any lost time due to swim fitness

IMKY13 finish!!

I think there are other exercises you could do to use the same muscles, but use the time to focus on the other disciplines to gain strength in other areas so that you can make up for any lost time due to swim fitness

I was talking with my swim coach last night, and he said that the next best thing to do other than getting in the water is a rowing machine.  Just make sure to use your arms/upper body for the work & not legs.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

obk

Thank you for your replies. I have indeed done some specific exercises that use the arms and upper body, and increased a bit the volume on running/biking. I'm seeing the doctor again next week and hopefully I will be allowed to swim again soon.

2012 goals: Run 650Km; Ride 1800Km; Swim 140Km; Finish Sprint Triathlon in 1:30; Finish half marathon (no time limit) Done - jan 29 in Marrakech, Morocco - timing: 2h07m51s; Finish Olympic Distance triathlon (Done - Nov 10 in Agadir)