Swim Bike Run

What to DO? (Read 122 times)

Muebele

OK guys, I have a bit of a issue that I am trying to decide. 

I have two more Tri's this summer, NJ State (Olympic) in two weeks and and Timberman (70.3) in August.  My "A" race for the year is the Philadelphia Marathon in November where I hope to make up for the disaster that was the Boston Marathon.  I really hope to do well in the Marathon (big goal would be sub 3 hours).  However, the race is only 12 weeks after Timberman.  While I want to do well in Timberman (this will be my third Timberman and it is certainly my "B") race, I wonder if the timing of the event will effect my marathon goal. 

In order to be prepared for the marathon, I was thinking about adding some additional runs into my schedule.  If I could bike twice a week (maybe a 30 miler and a 60-70 miler) and swim twice (total of 2 + miles) and run 4 to 5 times (hopefully leaving me around 35 to 40 + miles for the week), I think it might give me a good lead in to marathon training.  However, I wonder how much I will be sacraficing for the 70.3. 

What do you guys think about this plan?  Anybody with experience training for both?

OK guys, I have a bit of a issue that I am trying to decide. 

I have two more Tri's this summer, NJ State (Olympic) in two weeks and and Timberman (70.3) in August.  My "A" race for the year is the Philadelphia Marathon in November where I hope to make up for the disaster that was the Boston Marathon.  I really hope to do well in the Marathon (big goal would be sub 3 hours).  However, the race is only 12 weeks after Timberman.  While I want to do well in Timberman (this will be my third Timberman and it is certainly my "B") race, I wonder if the timing of the event will effect my marathon goal. 

In order to be prepared for the marathon, I was thinking about adding some additional runs into my schedule.  If I could bike twice a week (maybe a 30 miler and a 60-70 miler) and swim twice (total of 2 + miles) and run 4 to 5 times (hopefully leaving me around 35 to 40 + miles for the week), I think it might give me a good lead in to marathon training.  However, I wonder how much I will be sacraficing for the 70.3. 

What do you guys think about this plan?  Anybody with experience training for both?

I think 12 weeks post Timberman is plenty of time to get into marathon shape. I will be at TImberman and also running Steamtown which is about 8 weeks after TImberman and I'm also hoping to make up for this past Springs marathons. 35-40 miles a week is solid and once Timber is over, bump that up. My plan is for the long runs until Timber to be around 13-14 and then after Timber bump it up to 16-20 once its over. Are you sacrificing something with the 70.3, probably but would you rather have a fast 1/2 IM or marathon, just depends what your goals are and what you want more. Good luck with the training.

Nice marathon PR btw Smile

Muebele

bzeganjo

You did Timberman last year too didn't you?  I guess you are like me and have some unfinished business!  But judging by yourtraining, you are well on your way. 

As for me, I do want to do well at Timberman.  Falling apart last year sucked and triathlon training takes up so much time to begin with that of course I want to walk away feeling proud of what I did.  But I just worry that I am biting off more then I can chew on the marathon.   If I do want to go sub 3 that would be a 9+ minute PR with 12 weeks of training.  It is not like I am going to be starting from scratch, but I don't know how much the biking and swimming translates to marathon fitness.  Back in 2010 I actually did both Timberman and the Philly Marathon and got my long awaited BQ.  I think there is a big gap between 3:10 and 3:00.  So hopefully I can just get my whole self in great shape for Timberman (i.e. lose some dang weight for once) and then go full speed ahead into the marathon.

On a side note, I have heard nothing but good things about Steamtown.  I trained a couple times on the first 20 miles of the course (the last 6 are where the uphills are). 

Yea I have done it the last 2 years and will probably continue to do it as logistically it works. My brother has a Summer house about 20 minutes from the race site so I try to get up there a few times and ride the course. Last year I PR'd by 20 min but missed sub 5. Coming off the bike I thought I had it in the bag, but it got too hot and came in at 5:06. This year I think I'm more ready for it and acclimated to the heat better. Oh it helps that I just graduated Physical Therapy school and I'm waiting to take my license exam so i'm not really working that much. I have to take advantage of the free time now Smile 

I think you can PR from 12 weeks of training as long as that base stays at 30-40 miles per week and once Timber is done focus on the longer runs.