Swim Bike Run

Am in the right place? (Read 226 times)

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

First of all I'm not fishing for compliments, etc. Roll eyes I just want to see how tri-focused folks are here or intend this group to be. I’m checking to see if this is a place that I fit in. I like the idea of triathlons, but haven’t done one yet. I’ve always run some (mostly trail and beach presently). I've always swam (and surfed). I ride my bike to work 1-2 times a week (2 ¾ mile hills and 6.75 miles each way). I can’t afford the time or money to get into the cycling side of things. My bike is a hybrid best suited for commuting. I like running and swimming. I’m average or better at times. I compete in running events, ocean swimming events and sometimes combine swim-run competitions. I am mostly interested in gleaning training info from more experienced folks. Although I may have a moment of inspiration or knowledge to contribute on rare occassions.
    Find the fun.

The voice of mile 18

sounds cool to me. I hate the bike too. I'm all about the Tshirts (and the hot tribabes) Wink

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Thanks Joe. Yup, I've got the babe (runner chick). So I race for food, t-shirts and a healthy goal now.
        Find the fun.
        Rynamite

First of all I'm not fishing for compliments, etc. Roll eyes I just want to see how tri-focused folks are here or intend this group to be. I’m checking to see if this is a place that I fit in. I like the idea of triathlons, but haven’t done one yet. I’ve always run some (mostly trail and beach presently). I've always swam (and surfed). I ride my bike to work 1-2 times a week (2 ¾ mile hills and 6.75 miles each way). I can’t afford the time or money to get into the cycling side of things. My bike is a hybrid best suited for commuting. I like running and swimming. I’m average or better at times. I compete in running events, ocean swimming events and sometimes combine swim-run competitions. I am mostly interested in gleaning training info from more experienced folks. Although I may have a moment of inspiration or knowledge to contribute on rare occassions.
          Definitely try a tri! You'll love it based on your description. The great thing is, you can try one as long as you have something to swim in, a pair of goggles, a pair of running shoes, and some form of bike. You might want to check out beginnertriathlete.com as well. Good luck!
          Cashmason

Yes you are in the right place. I have done 8 sprint tri's, so maybe I can answer some of your questions. Definitely try a tri. Sprints are the shortest triathlon distance. About 25% of the people at a sprint will be on mountain bikes or hybrids. Biking is more about the engine ( your legs) rather than the bike. I have a road bike and pass folks on time trial/ triathlon bikes with disc wheels all the time. I have had a guy in cut off jeans, on a mountain bike and in flip flops pass me in a race. It is true that if I put you on a road or tri bike you would be faster. But a guy in good shape on a hybrid, will beat a guy in less good shape on a faster bike.
              Usually the sprint distance consists of a 750m swim (sometimes 500m), a 20 km bike ride and 5 km run. Some races hold an even shorter event for people to experience a triathlon without committing to the slightly longer sprint distance. These events might be called something like a 'try-tri' or 'tri it' and from my experience are about half of a sprint distance triathlon (e.g. 400m swim, 10 km bike and 2.5 km run). As far as the quality/type of the bike concerns: I did my first triathlon on a mountain bike and passed a few people on road bikes. However, if you start taking a liking to triathlons, a proper bike is one of the best investments you can make to improve your time. Switching from the mountain bike to a triathlon bike I reduced my time from 45 minutes to 39 minutes (i.e. the bike made me about 5 km/hr faster). The difference between a road bike and time trial/triathlon bike is much smaller.
              TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome. I may throw in a Tri event this year. Thanks for the cycling info. Those are some of the things I have wondered about. I may use my old Mt. bike and trainer to build up some cycling miles as the year goes on. I have been considering making the Superfrog a 1 or 2 year goal (the bike section would kill me right now). It sounds like a cool challenge. http://www.superfrogtriathlon.com/index.html I think next year I might do it as part of a relay team if I'm not ready for it. I hope that link worked. That's the first time I've tried that. I'll post later my goal races for the year in that thread where everyone else is posting them.
                Find the fun.

The voice of mile 18

a friend of mine was doing that one it looked very cool! good luck and have fun

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Trailsurfer -- I highly recommend going and watching a tri, just to see how it works. Doing so gave me the confidence to know I wouldn't come in DFL. On the other hand, jeez louise, you have swimming & biking experience already. Go for it -- just enter a sprint tri for fun.
                    TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Thanks for the insight Econo. I do plan on watching one. The transitions, gear, etc. are all things I have to figure out. I'm not sure which one I'm going to tri yet. (Sorry couldn't resist the overused pun.)
                      Find the fun.