Swim Bike Run

Bigfoot Triathlon - Oly (Read 173 times)

protoplasm72

Did my first triathlon of the season today and the roughest swim of my life.  The swim was in Lake Geneva WI and there were 20mph sustained winds with 30mph gusts blowing straight across the lake to the beach where we swam.  After 100m I thought I was going to die.  Breathing to my right meant looking straight into the sun, to the left just meant getting a wave in the face and no breath.  After the pack broke up a little and I wasn't getting kicked in the face I was at least able to get a little more relaxed and swam it in 31:23 which was good enough for 126 out of 531.  Much better then I thought based on the amount of water I drank.

The bike was not much better since the first half was a lot of up hill and directly into the the winds most of the time.  There were a couple steep downhills into the wind that I barely hit 15 mph.  Without the wind I'd probably of been doing 25-30 mph.  The course was a little short, just over 23 miles, and I did it in 1:13:52 which I was happy with considering I don't train in hills and am generally a weak biker.  

The run was a hilly trail run that was a little long.  They said about 6.4 miles.  My legs were shot from the bike and I'm kind of out of running shape but I finished in 53:55.  I had hoped to do 8 mm so I was a little slow.

Total time was 2:44:50.  Had a long T1 cause I cut open my toe at the start of the swim.  I tried to wipe the lake gunk out of the wound.  My sock was a bloddy mess by the end of the race.  Without the wind I think I would of been pretty close to my goal of 2:30.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Slo

1st....Way to go and a great job of over coming adversity. One of the beauities of Triathlon is you never know what it's going to throw at you.  You overcame the weather and injury and turned in a very respevtable time. Great Job !

I'm in the mid-West and not far away from the race. I was glad I wasn't racing in that wind !

Good job.   Take care of that foot, lots of bacteria in that lake water
        Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers