Swim Bike Run

Aero Bars (Read 389 times)

Home Away From Home

So I got a set of aerobars for my bike thinking that they would make me more comfortable and aerodynamic for my HIM training. I put them on and have had to tweak them almost every ride to get the rid feel. In addition, I do a group ride on Thursday with a club and don't spend a lot of time down in the drops racing the city streets so the aerobar pads are in the way when I try to place my hands on the top of the brake /shifter handles or on the top of the handle bars. 

Previous to purchasing the aerobars, i spent most of my practice rides in teh drops trying to get use to the position and felt pretty good. are the Areobars worth all this fighting with on race day? Any thoughts on just removing them entirely?   

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Slo

What type of aero bars did you buy.

The arm pads should not interfer with the levers at all and you should have plenty of room to grasp the top of your drop bars.

Do you know the width of your drop bars. Generally, the drop bars should be equal or slightly less than your shoulder width. 42cm is farily common.

I'm thinking if they are two peice aero bars you likely have them spread apart to far. When your hands are griping the ends of the aero bars there shouldn't be much room maybe 1/2 to less than 1 inch between the knuckles of your hands. Usually the pads are adjustable in and out as well.

I have century bars on one of my road bikes. Basically aerobars that are one peice and don't require a loan because they are not labled "aero" and marketed to triatheletes. This bike is my touring bike and I like having the added hand and body position the bars offer. I may ride this bike 5 hrs straight and I will be in the drops, on the hoods, on top of the drops and in the aero position. I also have room for a light.

They do make aero bars with flip up arm pads as well.

The aerobars will save you some time. A few minutes, maybe more. Whether thats worth it is up to you.

Home Away From Home

Slo-Hand-

Thanks for the reply, I got a set of Profile Design T1+ bars for about $100. I would say after your post that I probably have them to far apart that is why I am getting blocked out of some positions. I will slide them closer to your 1/2 to 1" spacing between knuckles and that might do the trick. Pads are adjustable front and backwards and a little side to side but no flip up option. 

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm thisclose to pulling the trigger on a set of Profile Design Jammer GTs.  Seems that at least 3/4 of the cyclists I've talked to say they are ideal for road bike geometry and great to have for races, solo rides, and centuries.  Since I have all of the above on my agenda in the next 6 weeks I'm probably going to give them a try.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just won these for less than a pair of the aluminum ones...I love sniping on eBay! Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Congrats.

Everytime I go bike part shopping on ebay I end up buying something I really didn't need because I coudn't pass up a good deal.

Home Away From Home

Just won these for less than a pair of the aluminum ones...I love sniping on eBay! Wink

Sweet, and awesome deal too, congrads

MM#5768

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks!

The hubby thinks I'm silly to get aerobars, but he doesn't race.  The difference between me and a podium spot at my last duathlon was about 65 seconds.  It didn't help that my taper was insufficient and I was recovering from a cold (I've had relatively easy training rides at twice the distance of the cycling leg at a full MPH faster than my race day performance...ugh), but I think aerobars would have been useful that day.  It was windy as hell for several miles of the 30k course.

~ Sarah Kay

... have had to tweak them almost every ride ...

Fortunately, for me, I haven't had to tweak them much.  I'd suggest fitting yourself on it, and maybe looking at others that ride on the bars to see the proper angle (shoulder to elbow to wrist) so that may minimize the discomfort.  I'll go to race results for other HIM's and look at their photos as well as look at the photos on websites (ie. SlowTwitch.com has great aerodynamic bike photos that show great shoulder, elbow, wrist angles).   

I know that I'm on the aerobars about 80% - 90% of the time.  It's very comfortable for me, and when I ride with my road bike friends, they tend to adjust frequently, while I maintain steady effort and comfort in the aero position.  When setup right, it's an aerodynamic position that allows for a powerful, consistent, and comfortable ride.

As SloHand says, the knuckles should be close together.  I often time put my fingers in the "praying" position while riding (interlocking fingers) as an adjustment to just gripping the bars.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Home Away From Home

Had a good ride with them the other day after bringing closer together andthat helped a lot so think I am getting close to perfection. Thanks for the input.

MM#5768