Swim Bike Run

Duathlon pacing? (Read 542 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm sure the book I've based my training around (Training Plans for Multisport Athletes) addresses this, and I will reference that, too, but I am curious how I might want to pace myself on race day, particularly in the first running leg.  Since I am guessing that my actual race time will be just a bit longer than my HM time, might I want to run that first leg ~ my typical HM pace?  I figure that would be fairly conservative and smart way to handle that first leg, then I can save the pain for the cycling and last 5k on Jell-O legs.

Thoughts?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

How long is the race zoomy ?

Zoom

I push my pace on the first run leg but not so hard that I will have nothing left for the bike.  I know I push the bike as hard as I can and then I run with what my legs will let me on the last run.

2 weeks ago during the Virginia Duathlon my first 5K - Avg 8:07 m/m, 23M Bike (17.5 mph and bad wind), 2nd 5K - Avg 8:27.

Happy Running,
        Troy
        "Start with your Head, Finish with your Heart!"

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How long is the race zoomy ?

5k run, 30k bike, 5k run.  Troy, do you find that you recover some on the bike leg?

~ Sarah Kay

You will recover some on the bike because your upper body is relaxed and if you have aero bars some of your weight is on the arms, however, with that said when you come off the bike be very cautious as your quads are going to be limp noodles.

If you can, go drive the courses so you know where your hills and such are.  Down hills are a short recovery.  The VADU had one, so it was pedaling the whole time.

I really wish I would have pushed my first run a little harder than I did, but hey, it's the first race of the season with many more coming.

Happy Running,
            Troy

5k run, 30k bike, 5k run.  Troy, do you find that you recover some on the bike leg?

A friend of mine said that you should stand up and pedal on your bike for the last 1/4 to 1/2 mile to get you body ready for the run. He is a top 5 finisher in nearly every tri he races.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A friend of mine said that you should stand up and pedal on your bike for the last 1/4 to 1/2 mile to get you body ready for the run. He is a top 5 finisher in nearly every tri he races.

Neat advice...and it makes sense.  I may have to give that a try.  If not this race, then in future ones.

~ Sarah Kay

I like that...going to have to remember.  Have you been doing any Brick workouts?
                  Happy Running,
                  Troy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like that...going to have to remember.  Have you been doing any Brick workouts?

I've done a few...have a few more in the last 2 weeks of training.  That run after being on the bike is ROUGH! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

They do get less rough the more you do them.  I've incorporated a brick into each week of training.  Yesterday's was really smooth...felt wierd.
                      Happy Running,
                      Troy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, the first couple of bricks I did were awful...the most recent one I did wasn't as bad.  I definitely find that the first mile sucks...after that my legs seem to go "oh, yeah...running.  Ok, we can do that, too."

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

When's this race......That's a perfect Du for me.

My suggestion.....not knowing your race times......for me this would be close to a Red Line event.....41 - 42 mins of running and 45 - 50 mins of biking.

I would pick one for a red line.....either run both 5k's all out or bike all out.......I probably wouldn't decide until about half way thru my 1st 5k which one it would be. 

I've never tried standing on the bike but I do sit up and ride the hoods....or the bull horns, depending which bike I'm on, for the final 1/4 mile before the transition.

Good luck !!!!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The race is 2 weeks from this coming Sunday, Steelcase Grand Duathlon in Grand Rapids.

Right now I'm playing with the idea of running the first 5k fairly conservatively, doing the ride at a comfortably difficult pace (I'm still not sure what this is, since I'm a noob, so I'm just hoping to not blow-up on this leg), then throwing anything I have left into that last leg.  It will surely be a learning experience.  I wish I could do another du this Summer to make use of what I learn.  We have a really popular one in late June, but it's the same weekend that we will be out-of-state for my hubby's 20th HS class reunion.

~ Sarah Kay

How every you decide to play your cards on race day, remember this is your first one....so most importantly have FUN and soak in the experience.
                              Happy Running,
                              Troy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How every you decide to play your cards on race day, remember this is your first one....so most importantly have FUN and soak in the experience.

Yep, that's the ultimate goal.  I'm not going to put too much pressure on myself.  I'm still not super comfortable with the bike handling skills (yet), so I'm guessing that will be my weak leg -- and I'm OK with that (until NEXT year!).

~ Sarah Kay