Swim Bike Run

Race Report (Read 21 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

Did my first triathlon of the season (sprint triathlon) in Cape Girardeau, MO. It was the Steamboat Classic Triathlon and consisted of a 450 meter indoor pool swim, 15.5 mile bike and a 5 mile run. Overall I was quite pleased with the results of the day.

Pre-race: Since I had never been to Cape Girardeau (my wife is originally from the area…that’s why we wanted to do it), we went up there Saturday evening to drive the course. After driving the courses, noticed that there were some hills in the course, but nothing too extreme….just enough to make it a little challenge & keep it exciting.

Race morning: We get up and I have my usual “race breakfast” of peanut butter on a slice of bread. On the 30 minute drive up there, I started sipping on my HEED/energy drink concoction (for calories, electrolytes, and caffeine). I like to have this consumed about 1 hour before race starts to give me time for one last bathroom chance before the race.

Swim: The swim was in an indoor Olympic sized pool and we had to make 9 lengths of the 50 meter layout (serpentine style, going under lane ropes each time).   We all lined up my estimated swim time and I hoped in with the other 10 minute people (I was thinking I’d do it in 10:30 or 2:20 per 100). Jumped in the first lane (we started about 5 seconds apart) and started down the lane. Nothing too exciting year…just down one lap and back the next & so on. Passed two people and got passed by one…so was happy with the self-seeding there.   Total time for 450 was 10:15 (2:17 per 100 meters)…pretty much as I expected.

T1: made the short jaunt to the transition area and started putting on helmet, gloves, etc. Usually I put on my socks for the ride, but I was having a hard time putting on my first sock on my wet foot (surprise, surprise), so I said “screw it” and decided to ride the bike sockless. Other than that, nothing exciting here. Total T1 time was 2:38

Bike: As I said before, there were some hills on this course. The first mile & ½ was “in town” and had a couple of hard 90 degree turns (including one going downhill), so had to keep speeds down for first couple of miles. Once out of town, was able to “open her up”. The course was beautiful, in the midst of farms lands and forests. Just got into aero position and pedaled away. Passed about 10-12 people during the bike leg and didn’t get passed. My goal was 53 minutes (or 17.5 MPH avg). However, I have really been focusing on increase my leg strength and I could tell. Legs felt great, even powering up the hills. Got back into town and had to slow it down a bit thru the hard turns again. Got back to transition in a time of 50:30 (for 18.4 MPH avg). Real happy with the progress on the bike….especially considering the hills.

T2: Nothing exciting here another, just normal transition. However, this time I had to put on socks, but at least feet were somewhat drier (I need to start running sockless too, to save a bit of time here). Total T2 time was 2:08.

Run: Now it was onto the run. I was curious to see how much of my legs I had “used up” on the bike and if I had anything for the run. The first mile was pretty much a slow gradual uphill…and did that in 8:20 and the legs felt great. Then a run un down towards the river and got to run along the river for a short stretch….half way there. Then it was back up for the second half….there some rollers and flat stretches. Nothing too extreme, just enough to break it up. Legs continued to feel great as I maintain my pace. After a nice flat stretch its up one more hill, a right turn, then a quick left…and there’s the finish line about ¼ mile downward (always great finishing on a downhill). I sprint it in and cross the mat….done!! Total run time was 41:38 (8:20 pace). I was quite pleased with that, as my goal (given the hills) was 45 minutes (9:00 pace). Guess all the mile repeats paid off!!

I was real pleased with my efforts…my hard work is beginning to pay off. And then to top it off, I got second place in my AG….what a way to top it off!

Swim 10:15 (2:17 per 100)

T1 2:38

Bike 50:30 (18.4 MPH avg)

T2 2:08

Run 41:38 (8:20 pace)

Total 1:47:09

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

awesome job!  Thanks for sharing.  Race season is here.
      Cheers!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

arca

Well done. it's good when you see a return on your efforts like you did on the bike.