Swim Bike Run

"Like a duck to water" (Read 396 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

30 miler yesterday...my 3rd road bike ride (did 17 on Friday).  Piece o' cake.  Why did I not let DH talk me into a road bike YEARS ago!?  I seem to be so much more natural at this than I am at running.  And with my new wider, firmer saddle my butt doesn't even hurt today! Big grin

Really bummed that I likely won't be able to manage any outdoor rides for a while.  We're going to be busy with Thanksgiving holiday stuff this week and weekend (going out-of-state).  And I'm not really ready to venture out by myself, yet--need some tutorials on tire patching, changing, and basic repair stuff.  For now I have to do rides on the weekend with the hubby and stuff on the trainer indoors (which sucks more than running on a treadmill...and that's pretty godawful).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

http://bicycletutor.com/

Tutorials for you and your bike.

We have a Kreitler roller trainer in the basement so we can get some saddle time in during the snowy months. Its not as good as riding outdoors, but I think its better then a typical trainer where you're pretty stationary.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

http://bicycletutor.com/

Tutorials for you and your bike.

We have a Kreitler roller trainer in the basement so we can get some saddle time in during the snowy months. Its not as good as riding outdoors, but I think its better then a typical trainer where you're pretty stationary.

Ooh, that tutorial site is awesome--bookmarked!  Thanks for that. Big grin  As for rollers...ack!  I don't know that I have the balance for that.

~ Sarah Kay

The voice of mile 18

wow great ride zoomer took a long time before I could hit that distnace.

and +1 on the tutorial site thanx

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Mmmmm, Kreitler Rollers...

did

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mmmmm, Kreitler Rollers...

did

Ok, you get those, I get the nice, quiet trainer.  Dane can have the noisy old trainer.  We can watch a movie and pedal away in the living room.

~ Sarah Kay

Actually the roller is pretty quite. I watch sa little TV while I'm riding too.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Do you have any kind of resistance unit on the rollers? And do you ride 'em in a doorway? I know a guy who can play the banjo while riding rollers...

did

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Do you have any kind of resistance unit on the rollers? And do you ride 'em in a doorway? I know a guy who can play the banjo while riding rollers...

did

Hey, you could tie one end of a rope to a nail on top of the doorway, the other end to your bib shorts, then you would be suspended and not have to worry about falling! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

did

I have the flywhell (its a must) and the headwind fan. I haven't used the headwind fan yet, but I may towards spring. Its easier to stay rolling with the flywheel, although it does add some resistance. It helps keep you rolling when you stop pedaling and coast to grab your water bottle or wipe the sweat from your brow.

I have it set up next to a wall and I have a foam aerobics step next to it on the opposite side of the framel. I use the step to mount the bike while its on the rollers and lean against the wall to set my shoes. While still leaning against the wall, I start to pedal, balance myself and steer towards the middle of the rollers and away we go. The faster you ride, the easier it is to stay in the middle.

I've ridden off the side a couple times and the last time I did that I blew a tire. You definately need to pay attention to what you're doing and it helps to look forward, not down.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Great job Zoomy.  I could not get through the winter without my Computrainer.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Great job Zoomy.  I could not get through the winter without my Computrainer.

I remember seeing that...would be really fun to have that...but $$.  I still need to get a rack on the back of my car.  Cripes, this is a $$ sport.

~ Sarah Kay

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

No doubt about it!  Bikes will bleed you dry of all extra cash!  At the risk of sounding like a "know-it-all"

Best bike rack

I can honestly say this is the best bike rack.  Get a standard trailer hitch (1.5 inches I think), then this slips right into it.  It is stable and no part of the bike hauler ever toughes the frame of your bike.  No scratches on that beautiful paint job!

The Computrainer is an unbelievable tool however, albeit expensive.  You get a deal if you buy two.  A buddy on mine and I went in together three years ago.  I've had no regrets.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's the thing...I drive a Mazda 3 hatchback.  A trailer hitch would be kind of overkill.  But I actually talked to a guy at a recent race who had my exact car (I was parked next to him...same color, year, package...kinda freaky).  He has a Thule that works without a hitch, so that is one option we are looking at.  They have a couple of models that would work on my car...2 and 3 bike models.

~ Sarah Kay