Swim Bike Run

Swimming and stitches (Read 538 times)

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Tomorrow I have to have a surgery to remove a benign tumor in the palm of my right hand. I suspect the doc is going to say no swimming for several weeks.  Conservative advice to be sure.  I was thinking it is probably ok to start back after the wound appears closed.  Anyone have experience swimming with stitches? I'm going to double post this on the swim forum as well, so my apologies in advance to those of you who look at both.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Slo

T-Bone,

You know what the dangers are. Even though the water is clorinated it still can take hours for it to kill different bacteria.

On the other hand.....I've done lots of swimming with cuts and abrasions and I know as a kid I swam with stitches in my head in area ponds.

Let us know what you do.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*thinks of the stuff floating in a swimming pool and throws up a little in her mouth*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

When I was a kid I swam with stitches in my hand, but wrapped in a plastic bag and duct taped it.

Yea I'm no help, sorry. Hope all goes well.

protoplasm72

You shouldn't ask triathletes for medical advice.  Very little would stop me from getting a workout in.  If I was leaving a trail of blood in the pool I'd probably stop swimming but only for the benefit of the other people that use the pool.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

The surgery went well.  My surgeon thinks he got it all.  I am cleared to bike and run on Monday, but I was strongly cautioned not to swim until the stitches are out on the 18th.  I'm going to be compliant, which should be easy since I can bike and run.

Now, off to take some hydrocodone and watch football.  Carry on...

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm going to be compliant, which should be easy since I can bike and run.

Now, off to take some hydrocodone and watch football.  Carry on...

You are a wise man.  Enjoy the drugs... Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Got the stiches out today, back to the pool tomorrow.  The tumor was totally benign, which is what we expected.  The incision site is still a little tender, but that tenderness is way less than the pain associated with the tumor.  I so glad it is gone.  The only bad news is there is a 10-20% chance it will grow back.

Glad to hear the good news. Hope you heal quickly.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Got the stiches out today, back to the pool tomorrow.  The tumor was totally benign, which is what we expected.  The incision site is still a little tender, but that tenderness is way less than the pain associated with the tumor.  I so glad it is gone.  The only bad news is there is a 10-20% chance it will grow back.

Glad it was benign and that you can return to the pool.  Sucks that the tumor will likely redevelop.  Is there a reason this showed up in the first place?

~ Sarah Kay

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Not sure, but doc siad there is a genetic component (my mom had one of these too).