Swim Bike Run

building a bike (Read 242 times)

Muebele

I see all these places selling just the bike frame.  I am wondering if it is cheaper to buy all the parts and have the bike put together?  Or is this a something that people swaping high end parts do?

Matt

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think typically it's not cheaper.  I believe the bare frame appeal is for those who have VERY specific components requirements.  I doubt it is a money savings, unless a person already has a component group laying around and simply want a new frame.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

I'm not at home so I don't have pictures.

Last year I built up a Cannondale Six 13 Frame. I got a great deal on the frame and then shopped Ebay and bought a mixture of new and used components. I ended up investing about $1350 in a bike that would retail for around $3500.

This year I was in the process of rebuilding my touring bike when I stumbled across another great deal. A 1999 Lightspeed Ultimate Titanium frame. The only thing I have left to buy is the rear Cassette. This is going to be a SWEET bike. Again, total investment around $1600....A bike that will be worth over $4000 ! That frame alone sold for $3500 in 1999. The color scheme gives it away...most people don't want to ride a "Dated" ride...I'm more interested in the ride...and there is no beating Ti !

If I bought all new components from an LBS I'd have about $2200 in it...Shop smart and you can build yourself a very nice bike.

The Frame, the wheel set, the Crank and the Front shift levers are your High dollar components.

Of course, I parted out my Touring Bike...I haven't sold the frame yet. I'm sitting on that deciding what I want to do.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh...that Litespeed sounds awesome!

Yeah, Slo, building a bike that way does sound like a really good way to save $$ AND get exactly what you want.  But if a person were to buy a new frame and new components it's not usually cheaper than the package deal, right?

I got really lucky with my current ride.  I knew I wanted more aggressive geometry, carbon (not so much for the weight savings, but because aluminum is painful on our rough, chip-sealed roads), a unisex frame (my previous WSD frame is not as good a fit for my long torso and short limbs), SRAM Rival.  Then when I saw exactly what I wanted with orange (my favorite color)...well, it was like the stars aligned.  Plus Cannondale has a deal with JDRF Ride to Cure peeps--20% off bikes.  MSRP on my bike is $2600, our shop was selling it for $2500 - 20% = $2k out the door.  Sweet.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

There is no way a person could by all new from the frame, through the components and wheelsets and come out cheaper than buying a new bike outright.

Most every build I've ever done started with a used frame.

Muebele

I would be trying to buy used parts and put together a solid bike for cheap
              xhristopher

I've built several. I don't think it's necessarily cheaper unless you plan to move components over from an old one or got a great deal on a frame. If you know what you want and want to customize that's a reason too.

About four years ago I built two Stumpjumper hardtails for my inlaws. In both cases I found "new old stock" frames on ebay for real steals. My mother in law is very petite so I got an unused extra small s-works frame for about $150. (Actually I bought it on speculation because I couldn't pass up the deal. The frame was "raw"/unpainted and beautiful.) My father in law is very tall so I found him an unused bright yellow extra large Stumpjumper for about $175. I don't think I would have gotten these prices for medium or large sizes. I took my time and built both with new components found on ebay or online retailers, Deore LX level stuff. I built them in the winter and took my time. Both bikes came in somewhere around $800 and are much better than an $800 bike at a bike store. They get lots of positive comments, love the bikes, and ride more because of them. Custom parts also allowed me to tune the fit for each very well.

My last two road bikes happened by me buying the frame, throwing the old components on, and upgrading here and there. Eventually I ended up with a pretty decent bike. It worked out for me but, with the exception of a few sweet deals, I'm not sure I saved much $$ in the long run. I just never spent much in any given year.

If your not competent and willing to do your own wrenching, or have someone willing to do it for you I wouldn't bother building your own since having a bike shop do it can be expensive. Also, searching out deals and understanding/comparing component offerings can be time consuming. I enjoyed the process and challenge of building my inlaws' Stumpjumpers but it's not for everyone. I'll probably buy my next bike complete, but who knows...

Slo

I would be trying to buy used parts and put together a solid bike for cheap

I've had great success doing this. Until recently.

I bought a set of "Lightly Used" Shimano Ultegra SL 6600 shifters of Ebay. I did a quick inspection of them when they arrived. All looked well.

But it wasn't. I've sent the right side shifter off for rebuild. it was broke...and not "Lightly Used". well cleaned yes. Ya win some, ya lose some. No response from the seller either.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Buying a bunch of new stuff and building it up will never save you money. The bulk purchase discounts that the bike companies and shops get ensure that. The only place you might save a little money is if you build your own wheels, and then only if you don't figure in the necessary tools.

That said, it's an invaluable experience, and it's good fun, too - especially cobbling up a junker bike from old parts.

did