Swim Bike Run

Which triathlon to do? (Read 271 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

There are two different Olympic distance triathlons I am thinking about doing…one is 5 weeks prior to my first HIM triathlon and the other is 3 weeks prior.  Which one do you think I should do?  Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

jdais

5 weeks may be a safer race.  When do you plan on tapering for the 70.3?

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

IMKY13 finish!!

5 weeks may be a safer race.  When do you plan on tapering for the 70.3?

I was planning on tapering after the triathlon 3 weeks prior (I just found out about the 5 week out tri).  The distance is a bit far for a 5 week out tri, so I think I'll do the tri three weeks out & then start tapering.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

Elly.

What are the distances, Paul?

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

IMKY13 finish!!

What are the distances, Paul?

Elly, they are both pretty much the same (Olympic distances for both).  I am thinking between Fall Creek Falls & Nash Vegas.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Elly.

The Fall Creek Falls should be lovely, but mid August .. It's far away, I could not find the bike course, but they have some nasty knobs in that park. The trail system would likely be the run...and the Park tour does a 13 miler and it's a great venue. NashVegas in September might be equally hot. It's close. River swim will be cleaner if you are a strong swimmer 'cause you are going to swim against the current! Rolling hills for the bike and run. I'd go with the Ashland city race. You are likely to ace it, feel confident that you are in good shape and be ready to take on that half. Good luck whatever you decide.

Elly.

OOOOH saw some more on Nashvegas.  Are you up for hills? 

Blondie

The Fall Creek Falls should be lovely, but mid August .. It's far away, I could not find the bike course, but they have some nasty knobs in that park. The trail system would likely be the run...and the Park tour does a 13 miler and it's a great venue. NashVegas in September might be equally hot. It's close. River swim will be cleaner if you are a strong swimmer 'cause you are going to swim against the current! Rolling hills for the bike and run. I'd go with the Ashland city race. You are likely to ace it, feel confident that you are in good shape and be ready to take on that half. Good luck whatever you decide.

Couple of things on this one Elly.

FCF is all on pavement and not as hilly as you would think. Smile

I do believe the river swim at NashVegas is with the current, and not as bad as Music City Tri. There will be Hills thought, to quote a famous Monkey man. They are on different dates, so he could do both.

Here is the one I am going to do on Aug. 19th. It's an OLY in Huntsville, AL.  Rocketman

IMKY13 finish!!

OOOOH saw some more on Nashvegas.  Are you up for hills? 

Am I up for Hills?  Have you heard about or seen the profile for the bike course for Branson 70.3?  That's hilly!!!

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

It looks hilly enough, but I think the course profile maybe makes it look worse than it is (average gradients dont look too bad).

However I havent done it so what would I know!

IMKY13 finish!!

It looks hilly enough, but I think the course profile maybe makes it look worse than it is (average gradients dont look too bad).

However I havent done it so what would I know!

There are 8 decent climbs in the bike portion for Branson 70.3, and the average percent grade seems to be around 3.5%...but it’s for like 1 & ½ miles each time (the good thing is that what goes up, must come down).

They claim it’s the toughest bike course on the 70.3 circuit.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Elly.

I'm thinking of doing the sprint nashvegas. I've had some problems with my hip and back, but have been to several PT sessions ... I think I might be able to manage it. Probably could handle the Olympic very well, but that might be pressing my luck.