Swim Bike Run

Ironman Distance Triathlons (Read 409 times)

james33693

Here's the deal.  I have set a long term goal to complete an Ironman Distance Triathlon when I turn 35.  This gives me right at three years to get ready.  I currently run about two marathons per year.  My weakness at the moment would be the swimming so I know I have to concentrate on that aspect.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone out there has any experience in this event but I had a few general questions.

Should I try to gain entrance in to one of the official Ironman events (if it is even possible)?

Or, do I choose one of the other Ironman Distance events?  Are there any locations in particular you would choose over another?

What is a good model entry level bike that won't break the bank too bad?

Is three years enough time to train properly?

Where can I find a good training plan?

Anyway, these are just a few questions I had off the top of my head.  If some experienced triathletes have any additional input that would be appreciated. 

I am thinking of setting up a blog to let folks follow my progress.  I will let you know when I have that up and running.

Gotta TRI

Hi James,

I'll start off with my limited knowledge and advice. There are many others here with more experience so please take it for what it's worth. That being said:

3 years is plenty of time to train for IM. Besides the marathons have you done any triathlons? If not start. There are multiple distances obviously but they all point you in the right direction, and personally I would want to have a 70.3 or more under my belt before attempting the full 140.6

What are your goals for this race? Will you be competing for placement or attempting to finish? There are many IM races and entries vary. IM Lake Placid ( on my list for 2011 ) sells out in a day or so and to get a shot at getting in you need to either volunteer at the race the for a shot at the following year or finish a qualifying race elsewhere. I'm going to run IM 70.3 Rhode Island this year for the shot at a ticket for next years Placid. Depending on your location I'd probably choose something close but it's your choice.

Bikes have been debated here over and over and there are pros and cons to both sides but there are so many variables to this subject to cover them all but...my advice would be to find a good bike shop first then shop for a bike. The bike shop is just as if not more important to the actual bike in that it is the place you will go for bike fitting, repairs, maintenance, possibly shipping ( if you decide to go that route ), advice, group rides etc.

There's arguments regarding road bike or tri bike too. Again personal choice, depends on how serious you are at this point. If unsure, go with road bike. Road bikes can be made into tri bikes with little cost, but tri bikes cannot be made into road bikes.

Most people have trouble with the swim but with a little coaching and some practice it can become quite fun. It's mostly technique and once you get that the swim becomes so much easier. As far as training plans and such, right off the top of my head I'd say go to http://trinewbie.com/, but there's also tons of books out thee as well. Let me know of  your blog site. Mine is triandtravel.blogspot.com

hope this helps

Andy

2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
      T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

James - I just posted some additional thought under this same topic in the general forum.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Marathonmanleto

James,

My advice is to just do it!  Sign up and begin training.   That's what i'm doing.  Way back in the early 90's I was an avid triathelete/marathoner.  Got married, had kids, and stopped tri's.  Started marathoning again in 2006 and have been competing 2/year since.

Whenever anyone started talking about Ironman I have felt guilty.  Guilty in the sense that I was not doing what needed to be done.  It's always been tops on my list of life goals.  The clincher was a few weekends ago when my sons friend's mother stopped by, looked at my Garmin on the kitchen counter and remarked that her husband was an ironman.  I know her husband and he ain't what I would call an ultra endurance machine. Nevertheless, he did one. That did it.

Searched online for open races and signed up for Louisville Ironman 8/29/010. 

I have since plugged into my old network of tri friends.  Got my old Trek 1500 tuned up.  Began a swim program with my son's swim club coaching assistance and am doing it. 

Oh yeah, cut out the Ironman logo and taped it to the fridge.  More details to follow--dinner time.