Swim Bike Run

HR Training - Weird Run Results (Read 293 times)

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Exactly.  Not much more to it than that.  I only do this for "A" races (2-3 times each season).  I adjust this for the duration of the race.  The key is to go into each session rested and recover well before the next.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

This information is great.  Thanks.  I re-read the chapter last night, and I'm going through my schedule now to ensure the last 3 weeks are outlined similar to how the book reads, and how you used it through your experiences.

T-Bone, you use the word "rested".  To clarity, the book describes a 72 hour period to be rested (you also mention in in your exerpt), so it describes a Wednesday / Saturday or a Thursday / Sunday peak day focus. 

It appears as if the Peak workouts relate primarily to how you handle the bike and the run elements.

Friel describes these Peak workouts as Bike / Run workouts, and the swims are separate.  "Most athletes will benefit from maintaining their normal swim schedule during the Peak period (one longer swim, one faster swim, one technique swim)" (page 306).  So on the off days (Sun., Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri in the case of a Wed / Sat peak day workout schedule), you should / could get the swim training in.

Thanks,

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Right on Brian.  Usually I swim in between breakthrough workouts.  It's like a "leg rest" day.  Don't go and do a bunch of kick drills and do use a pull buoy.  So if I do a breakthrough workout on Satruday and have another on Wednesday, I will most likely take Sunday totally off and swim on Monday and Tuesday.  Maybe an easy 1 hour bike on Monday.  I have found that running between breakthrough workouts is counter productive for me.  By the time I am 3 weeks out from an Ironman, I figure my run fitness had better be there. There is nothing to be gained by an easy 1 hour run inside three weeks out, it just serves to beat you up.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'