Swim Bike Run

Ironman Recovery - weak immune system (Read 217 times)

On May 19, I'll be doing my first Ironman.

14 days later (June 2), I have the opportunity to head out of the country (to Belize) to do some mission work (not so labor intensive, but outdoor work nonetheless). 

I've never been there, but went to the introductory meeting a couple nights ago.  The conditions there are hot and humid with many bugs (and bug bites).

I would like to get some feedback regarding whether I run a much HIGHER risk of being susceptible to some sort of sickness compared to others who won't stress themselves as I will. 

Any thoughts regarding your post-Ironman experiences would be greatly appreciated.

(Unless I'm thinking this wrong, please don't focus on the Belize location; rather, focus on your immune system following a race).

Thanks,
    Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I'd post this on SlowTwitch to get more replies specific to Ironman recovery / immune system state.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Hey Brian - In my experience I am not fully recovered from an Ironman race before 4 weeks.  I mean I don't feel like I can return to full on training with any type of intensity until 4 weeks have gone by (but I am 44).  I have never come down with any type of sickness after an Ironman.  During my highest mileage weeks leading into an ironman I feel the most at risk for contacting a cold or flu, but it rarely happens.   That being said, I think 2 weeks after your immune system should bounce back and will probably be stronger than those who didn't put their bodies through that.  I think your immune suppression, if any, is likely going to occur in the 48-72 hours post race.  After that, you should be fine.  You can improve and quicken your recovery by eating well and keeping exercise sessions short and easy during the weeks following the race.  Good luck.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

I got really sick about 4 days after IM AZ this past November. I blame it on traveling and swimming in that nasty man made lake. Oh and also exercising for 11+ hrs straight.

ultramarathon/triathlete

First, good luck and congrats!  I assume you're doing Texas, though Lanzarote (same day) would be wicked cool.  (IMTexas is cool too!)

I did my first IM last July (Placid).  It was awesome.  I can't wait for this year's race!  

Personally, I did not get sick or anything afterwards but was not doing anything different from normal.  Neither did any of my dozen or so other friends who also did the race (some even raced the next weekend). But none of us traveled to anywhere out of the ordinary for us that I know of.  Still none of us got sick and we're all in NYC.

I have been to Belize though, and it was great!   I did not suffer any more bug bites that I would have at home (NYC).  In general, I'm rarely bitten anyway.  Belize City is a shit hole IMO (no offence if anyone there is reading this, I'm sure people can say that of NYC too) but not even close to something I'd worry about getting sick in, bug wise, weather wise or anything else-wise.  I've been to WAY dirtier, more questionable countries (also never got sick at any of those, but never did an IM right before visiting either!).  The rural areas I went to in Belize were very nice (the beaches were also great but sounds like you'll be more inland in the rural areas).  Overall, and I'm no doctor, I would not worry about getting sick on that trip because of a possibly weaker immune system.  

So, have a great IM and then a great trip!  Just dose up on your vitamins/eat lots of greens and fruits before you go!   

Looking forward to your race report! 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team