Swim Bike Run

Short Hill Workout Question (Read 181 times)

Home Away From Home

All-

I am in a training program for Timberman Half Iron and in the next few weeks I have  start short hill intervals.  It asks me to ride 1 min at VO2 max up a hill and then recover 2 min or 1.5 mins up hill with 3 min recovery.  I am having problems figure out how to do this on a normal street. If I pick a hill that gives me a 1-1.5 min climb I have to cross traffic, come down the hill with time to spare before crossing again to get on the right side of the street for the next climb. If I go out on a regular ride hills will be variable lengths and various intervals.  Any suggestions form all you experienced types?  

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Muebele

depending on where you live, you might want to try something off the road.  Maybe a grassy hill somewhere.  i think you might be right to want to avoid having to cross the streets for a workout.  For a hill workout, I think you can still get the benefits by adjusting the workouts to fit your area.  Maybe do more sets/shorter rest.  I know at some easy runs, Brad Hudsons marathon training program has you do short, intense steep hill sprints.  Other then that, maybe find a street where you have to make a right turn to keep going up a hill.  That way you can avoid crossing traffic.

Good luck

PS:  I'll see you at Timberman!  Did it my first time last year, great race, BIG BIKE HILLS

Nice, see you both there as well. Last year was my first 1/2 IM, they put on a great race. The bike has some very challenging hils and the run is rolling hils the whole way.

Home Away From Home

Thanks for the input, can't wait to get there myself. I plan on biking the course hopefully twice before race day just to see i, probably bike the running course as well. I live in Maine so we have plenty of hills as well though. 

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

If you have an indoor trainer, you could use that and set the resistance higher to simulate the hill climb.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Muebele

duh, I thought you were running!  My bad

My suggestion would be to get up earlier.  I've had to wake up before 5am to get a good ride sometimes

Home Away From Home

Should have mentioned that this is a bike workout, not a run.  Hence, how does one bike a 1 min hill without fighting traffic.  Trainer would be a great idea if I had one, one of those many items on the wish list.  

MM#5768