Swim Bike Run

Male Sub-3hr marathon equivalent for Ironman? (Read 25 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Breaking sub3hrs in the marathon (for men) is a typical hard-won accomplishment for the hobby-jogger.  What is the equivalent accomplishment for the Ironman?  8hrs? 10hrs?

I'm going to run with some Tri-guys in Croatia at the end of Dec.  I just want to know what they heck they're talking about -- need points of reference.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Hmm, that's a tough one to compare to.  Here's what I found searching for facts and figures on the topic:

For the marathon:

-  Average male finishing time = 4:30

-  Percentage of runners sub-3: between 2.0-2.9% of all participants (from 2012 data of major US marathons)

For the IM:

-  Average finishing time = 12:35

-  Average finishing time (M40-45) = 12:44

-  Average finishing time (M35-39) = 12:18

-  Top age group finishers will be around low 9 hrs.

-  The bike accounts for ~50% of the total time (run 40%)

So what's the comparable threshold similar to the 3-hr marathon?  Not exactly sure but I would put it somewhere around 10:00-10:30.

Running Rev'd

I'd say sub-10 is about on par, a pretty impressive accomplishment particularly for the amateur/hobbyist.

For perspective, at Ironman Kona 2013, my 27 year-old brother finished in 10:17, though he cratered in the marathon and had to speedwalk the last half because he'd vomit every time he tried to run.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

The Ironman Kona winners typically runs about 2:40 - 2:45.
          That's crazy fast considering the warmup and heat they deal with.

Sub 8 hours isn't possible (except for a couple of fast courses)

Sub 9 hours is possible, but only by "2:35" marathon type of athletes (a few amateurs are sub 9).

Sub 10 hours is maybe the goal of a "hobby jogger" like trying to become "sub 3:00" in the marathon.

Apolo Anton Ohno (US Olympic speed skater) broke 10 hours at Kona this past year.

If I see a 3:30 marathon time in Ironman, I think they're sub 3 hour marathoners.

(add in 1:05 swim and a 5:15 bike and 10 minutes of transition, and they become sub 10 hours Ironmen)

For the entire race, anything below 10 hours is extremely good.  The hours per week of training in order to achieve sub 10 hours is commendable.

I think a 13 hour Ironman might be similar to a 4 hour marathon.

Maybe 12 hours = 3:30 marathon

Maybe 11 hours = 3:15 marathon

Maybe 10 hours = 3:00 marathon

Yes, I'm throwing numbers without any data to support.

Personally, my marathon PR is 3:43, but I haven't "raced" a marathon since 2009.

My Ironman marathon PR is 4:50, and I finished sub 12 hours.  It was 93 degrees and the run started at 2pm.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Thanks, this is all helpful.

Not knowing anything about Tri, are there other semi-equivalents that European Tri-guys might reference?

Sub3 marathon is about a 18min 5K.

What's the "Sprint" or "Olympic" equivalent?  (do Europeans call them that?)

Crap, now I have to learn kilometer paces before Sunday's run.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Not knowing anything about Tri, are there other semi-equivalents that European Tri-guys might reference?

I don't know much about triathlon compare and contrast items between Europe and North America.

There really isn't a "Sprint" equivalent.  Sprint distances vary based on the local roads, pools, lakes, etc.

I don't know the equivalent speed barriers for an Olympic, but the distances are supposed to be:

1500 meter swim

40 km bike

10 km run

The problem is that a 10km might be 9.8km or 10.2km.  Same also for the swim and bike.  I don't know how consistent the distances are from race to race.  I've only done 1 Olympic distance event.

Regarding the conversion to metric pacing.... good luck.  I'm grew up in Canada and I stumble whenever I read my Canadian friends posts their speeds in the xTight lippedx min/km.

Life Goals:

The common international distances you'll see are:

1. Sprint Distance: 750-meter swim, 20-kilometer (12-mile) bike, 5-kilometer run
                2. Olympic, Intermediate (or Standard) distance: 1500m swim, 40-kilometer (25-mile) bike, 10-kilometer run
                3. Long Course or Half Iron Distance (70.3): 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run
                4. Full Ironman Distance (140.6): 2.4-mile swim, 112.0-mile bike, 26.2-mile run

The sprint distances will vary the most with swim legs typically around 400-800m, bike legs from 12-18 miles and the run usually being 5k.  There are, of course, super-sprints too, which are shorter than sprint distances.

The common international distances you'll see are:

1. Sprint Distance: 750-meter swim, 20-kilometer (12-mile) bike, 5-kilometer run
                  2. Olympic, Intermediate (or Standard) distance: 1500m swim, 40-kilometer (25-mile) bike, 10-kilometer run
                  3. Long Course or Half Iron Distance (70.3): 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run
                  4. Full Ironman Distance (140.6): 2.4-mile swim, 112.0-mile bike, 26.2-mile run 

Additionally #5.... 421.8 = triple Ironman. I've seen the T-Shirt, but not the sticker.

Life Goals: