Swim Bike Run

Sweaty Hands & Numb Pinkies (Read 23 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I've been riding my new TT bike for going on 2 weeks, I think.  Feeling more and more confident (first ride was terrifying -- like learning to ride a bike, all over again).  Neck and shoulders are less cranky about things.  Overall speed is increasing as I become more comfortable with the bike and position.  I figure I've already bought myself 1-2mph at comparable effort -- and the TT bike is really low rent (KHS SCR 2000 -- only TT bike our LBS carries in my size, unfortunately) compared to my Cdale SuperSix road bike.  In another year or two I'll likely upgrade the frame or even entire bike.  Definitely looking at a wheel upgrade in the short term.

So the issues I am having are really small.  My pinkies are going numb and my hands are sweaty enough to make them feel slippery on the foam bar tape.  The tape is super cheesy stuff that came with the bike.  I have Lizard Skins tape on my road and gravel bikes and our tandem...but I suspect that would be slippery-when-wet, too.  I always wear gloves on those bikes, so it's not really an issue.

Would cork tape be more grippy/absorbent?  And what could I do about the pinched nerves (?) on my arms/hands?  Or is that just something to live with during duathlon season?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

What extensions do you have on your tri bars? Probably an s-bend?

The pinky thing could simply be too much bend in the wrist at the bar ends. If they are s-bend, then maybe switching to a ski-bend style extension could help.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not long after I posted I went out and looked at the bike and somehow the entire handlebars assembly had rotated downwards by 10-15º -- I blame DH.  He's forever over-tightening things and I think in an attempt to change his ways went too far in the opposite direction.

~ Sarah Kay

What extensions do you have on your tri bars? Probably an s-bend?

The pinky thing could simply be too much send in the wrist at the bar ends. If they are s-bend, then maybe switching to a ski-bend style extension could help.

Agree with this. Will be interesting if recent finding will fix your numbness issue.

Re: tape.  Not sure what's out there for absorbency but the LBS I went to uses Bontrager tape. They redid my bars this Spring and really like. It had the right amount of grip and cushioning.

Late Father's Day gift = Torque wrench, no more over or under tightening.

For bar tape, the best I've used was original equipment on my BMC. I've since retaped with a Gel tape by Felt and HATE them. They get super slippery when wet. Same is true for a Sram tape I've used in the past. I think the BMC came with Lizardskinz on it and I will be swapping a set back onto the bike soon.

Not long after I posted I went out and looked at the bike and somehow the entire handlebars assembly had rotated downwards by 10-15º -- I blame DH.  He's forever over-tightening things and I think in an attempt to change his ways went too far in the opposite direction.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

19 numbness-free miles on the bike with the bars re-placed at proper angle -- bingo!

I think I'll probably go with Lizard Skins on the TT bike.  I've never had sweaty hands issues on my road bike sans-gloves with that tape.

~ Sarah Kay

19 numbness-free miles on the bike with the bars re-placed at proper angle -- bingo!

That's great news!

What brand?  (Profile Design)?

What style are they?

I had Profile Design T2 and it was painful (see link).

http://www.profile-design.com/product/aerobars/t2-plus-carbon/

http://www.profile-design.com/product/aerobars/

The angle of my wrist when engaged with the gear shifters caused pain / numbness.

I converted to another profile design with a more natural wrist angle, and that improved my comfort and I hadn't had pain or numbness since.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life