Swim Bike Run

First Tri (Read 194 times)

Gulp! I have my first ever tri this Sunday May 10. I was wondering if anyone has any advice about the transistion areas and what to bring. This tri is in reverse order so I'll run, bike, swim. I have a tri outfit that I will wear for the whole thing so no clothing change required other than taking off my cover up skirt that is also doubling as a race number belt and taking off of shoes and socks for the swim. And of course putting on goggles and a swim cap for the swim. I feel very strong in my swim. I'm not super fast. I got to do some real tri training in an olympic length pool on Saturday. My fastest and most comfortable 400 was done in 9:30. This was my no means a race pace, I was just getting used to swimming the way we will swim in the tri. Does this sound like a good pace? I'm only asking because I really want to place in my category (Athena). My bike and run times are in line with the people who placed I just don't know about my swim. The last time trial I did was about two months ago and I swam 400 yards (the race is 400 meters) in 7:30 in a 25 yard pool so I had the advantage of being able to push off the wall and get speed from that. Thanks! Terie
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
    Slo

Congrats on signing up for your 1st tri. GOOD LUCK !!!!! I'm afraid I don't have much to offer you. My worst times in the Tris I do are my transition times. I couldn't imagin trying to snap on a swim cap when I'm in a hurry. I suppose doing a reverse Tri breaks up the melee you would get with a mass wave swim start. It's good to put together a list because it's easy to forget something......like your helment. Roll eyes And another advantage your going to have is not having to run off the bike. It is much easier to transition from running to biking than it is biking to running. My biggest advice is: Make sure your stuff is organized in the transition area's.....Shoes untied and opened up. I have a bright neon green shirt that I tie to my rack so i can find it right away. Again, good luck and let us know how you do !
      seeEricaRun

Awesome

I can't help you with pacing, and I've only done four or five tris, but from what I saw on those, swimming did not appear to be a strong suit for very many racers. Most people -such as myself (though I'm trying this year! Really!) - appear to have the attitude that you can kind of fake your way through it. I have a friend who's a halfway decent swimmer (but nothing crazy) and she was shocked that she always came in the top three out of the swim in her age group in all three of the races she did. Here are some transition tips partly from a workshop I took last year, and partly from advice my teammates have given me (except for 1, I really don't do any of these): 1. Put your helmet on top of the bike, to keep from forgetting it. 2. Don't wear socks. 3. Practice your transitions beforehand. 4. Clip your bike shoes onto your bike in advance, and close them up as you ride (I am not this coordinated). 5. Tie a balloon at your transition site, so it's easy to spot. And I'm jealous of the reverse order! Doing the swim last (when you're hot, and the air is not freezing) makes way more sense to me! Also, no funny-legs coming off the bike sounds awesome.
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I suppose you could preposition the goggles around your neck before you start, and maybe even the swim cap on your head -- I mean run & bike with them -- if you want to save a few seconds? Dunno.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

http://triathlon.competitor.com/ Go to the bottom of the page, there's a good artcile by Bree Wee. (yes that's her real name - 1st place amatuer in Kona in 2007).

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'