Swim Bike Run

Depressing. (Read 309 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did my first time trial, today.  17.4 measly miles at a slower pace than my easy rides of 2-3x the distance last Summer and Fall.  So demoralizing...especially getting passed by pros with their disc wheels (man, is that a weird sound).  Granted, it had some significant hills, especially at the end (it finishes on a massive, wretched hill).  And a little wind...and a lot of cold...but, still.  Meh, it's such a bummer.  50 miles/week on the nowhere bike just really doesn't take the place of 100-200mpw on the road.  Not even close.  Almost makes me wonder if it's worth it to "train" indoors all Winter.  Though somedays it beats going out in horrid snowstorms.

On the bright side, I was not last in my AG.  I beat some chick on a tri team by 3 minutes.  She likely had a true TT bike, too.  I wonder if she had pinchy bits like I did (TMI?)... Black eye  I also think my new bike fits me SO much better than my previous bike did.  My first road bike had relaxed, women-specific geometry.  I'm finding I feel a lot comfier on a unisex/men's frame with that longer, flatter top-tube.  My longer stem also made riding in the drops a lot comfier, though my lower back is still not accustomed to this riding position and I need to keep working on my core muscles before I can do a ton of miles that way.  I rode probably half or more of the race in the drops.  It wasn't bad.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Don't sweat it. You've got base so the speed should come around quicker than if you took the winter off.

When I was cycling more I used to take off from mid-November to mid-March. Those first rides in the spring were always rough. Heck, I still take those months off but the running has made those rides much, much easier. The one winter I was religious about riding the trainer was my best year ever. By April I was flying. I wouldn't be surprised if you are too within a month.

I do agree with you that the trainer isn't a substitute for the road. I would always log trainer miles at a slower pace/less miles than I would do with equal time on the road because they just weren't equal. I did find I could get ok training by targeting HR zones. I don't want to admit how many times I did that cyclerobix tape.

It's always nice to beat folks on nicer equipment. I recommend you consider getting some clip ons for TTs and Dus. Though the riding can feel less stable than riding in the drops, with the right clip ons, it can be more comfortable. You don't have to get super aggressive clip ons for them to make a difference.  Several years back when I was participating in a monthly 12 mile TT series I decided to race one w/o clip ons. I was notably slower.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've been wondering abut the clip-on aero bars.  I'm going to have to figure out if I can do that.  My handlebars are the narrowest size (40cm, I think), since I have tiny shoulders.  Can they be clipped-on over the bar tape?  Someone was telling me about some sort of adaptor that might work, too.  Any recommendations on specific brands/models to look at?

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I've been wondering abut the clip-on aero bars.  I'm going to have to figure out if I can do that.  My handlebars are the narrowest size (40cm, I think), since I have tiny shoulders.  Can they be clipped-on over the bar tape?  Someone was telling me about some sort of adaptor that might work, too.  Any recommendations on specific brands/models to look at?

I'd give them a try. As you get used to them I'd recommend using them only on open safe roads and don't go out and initially ride 10-20 miles straight in them unless you want to risk tweaking your back. At least this is what would happen to me. I've got to train my back into getting used to them so I'll leave them on and ride a mile or two here and there until I get used to them. Also, don't use them if your following another rider or in a pace line. You can also practice and get used to the position on your go nowhere bike.

As for bars, I can't make a good recommendation. I use Profile Century bars. These aren't very aggressive but are fairly adjustable, weren't expensive, and most importantly allow me to go faster than I would without them. I'm not that flexible so the fact that these don't allow me to get super low isn't a big issue for me.

You'll probably have to unwrap your bar tape back an inch or so away from your stem. You could just wrap it on top of itself and tape it in place or cut off the excess and tape it there. That's what I do. It allows me to pop the bars on and off with minimal hassle.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You'll probably have to unwrap your bar tape back an inch or so away from your stem. You could just wrap it on top of itself and tape it in place or cut off the excess and tape it there. That's what I do. It allows me to pop the bars on and off with minimal hassle.

Ahh...OK, that makes sense.  The only thing giving me pause to go for it is that my saddle position would probably have to be tweaked.  And I'm not sure how much use I'd really get out of tri bars--I only have 3 duathlon events this year.  The rest of my time will be mostly group rides and centuries and such.  This may be something I will wait on for a year.  Just working on my comfort and strength in the drops would probably go further...and getting a 'cross bike with studded tires so I can ride outdoors year-round! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Ahh...OK, that makes sense.  The only thing giving me pause to go for it is that my saddle position would probably have to be tweaked.  And I'm not sure how much use I'd really get out of tri bars--I only have 3 duathlon events this year.  The rest of my time will be mostly group rides and centuries and such.  This may be something I will wait on for a year.  Just working on my comfort and strength in the drops would probably go further...and getting a 'cross bike with studded tires so I can ride outdoors year-round! Big grin

I've used clip ons in centuries. The whole idea with the clip ons is to go faster with the same effort so in centuries they were useful to bridge up to groups or to ride some solo stretches with them.

Considering you could pick up a pair of basic bars like mine for about the cost (or less) of a du registration I'd consider it. They will last you years and years.

I just dug out the results of that clip on vs. non clip on TT experiment and it looks like, all other things equal, riding w/o the clip ons was about a 1:40 slower over 12 miles than my times before and after the experiment. Your milage may vary but that's the typical length of the bike leg of a sprint du. Saving a minute will move you up the rankings.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Saving a minute will move you up the rankings.

'Tis true! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

My first tri is this Saturday.  Just a little sprint with a 10 mile bike but I am already preparing myself for a letdown.  I have managed to get some real road work on the nicer days over the last month but I know I am well off last years pace.  We'll get them later in the year!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heffa, I was looking at last year's log and I'm about a mile/hour faster now than I was, then...but I was a total noob, then.  I had really hoped that the fitness and speed I built last Summer and Fall would have carried over more during the Winter...but, wow.  I hope what everyone says is true, though...most people tell me that the 2nd full year of riding has pace coming back faster--even if a person doesn't ride at all over the Winter.

~ Sarah Kay