Swim Bike Run

Ironman Kona - 2013 (post race thoughts) (Read 25 times)

Did anybody have the opportunity to watch (follow) Ironman Kona on Saturday?

Great race.  Who watched it?  Who followed it?

I happened to watch the race for about 1/2 of the 1st 10 hours while working on a project in the house.

Highlights:

1. Mirinda Carfrae

Did anybody follow Mirinda Carfrae's run?

She was the 3rd fastest runner, behind 2 male professionals.

She did 2:50:38 (1 pro male did 2:44, another did 2:48, then Carfrae)

Wow!

2. Luke McKenzie

Loved seeing the truck driver hat in 2013.  Great race for a younger guy (26 years old)

3. Hines Ward

13:08.  That's a great time for somebody who developed all those slow twitch muscles over the past 10 months.

For somebody who never swam prior to 2013, he beat my swim time.

I've been following him over the past few months, and it's great to see him finish an Ironman.  I hope he's been bitten by the bug.

Any other stories that I've missed?

Any other favorites from this past weekend?

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

1. She made it look easy and effortless. Wonder what her open mary time would be....Olympic qualifier?

2. Trucker hat aws awesome, but I wonder if he overheated a little with it.

3. I figured he be over 13 but closer to 13.5 hrs. He came along way from his first sprint and its nice to see a big guy finish that well. Its already been reported that Kona was a one and done event. No more Ironman's for him.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

carlos49er

I watched it in pieces throughout the day.  Miranda wasn't even in the top 5 during the swim and bike then just ran everyone down. I thought someone ahead her coming out of T2 would be able to hold her off with enough lead time, but not much you can do when she's on record pace. I was excited to see our organization's (Team RWB) ambassador cross in 5th place, Tim O’Donnell.  He's also Miranda's fiancée.

Celebrity Chef Gordon Ramsey (Hell's Kitchen) was out there as well.

I watched it in pieces throughout the day.  Miranda wasn't even in the top 5 during the swim and bike then just ran everyone down. I thought someone ahead her coming out of T2 would be able to hold her off with enough lead time, but not much you can do when she's on record pace. I was excited to see our organization's (Team RWB) ambassador cross in 5th place, Tim O’Donnell.  He's also Miranda's fiancée.

Celebrity Chef Gordon Ramsey (Hell's Kitchen) was out there as well.

Red White & Blue, yes O'Donnell did well.  I was surprised to see Miranda be able to jump up on Tim after the race.  I remember crossing the line without any desire to move my legs let alone lift both of them off the ground at the same time.  That was a great picture of her hugging O'Donnell at the finish line.

Yes, Ramsey as well.  I didn't really know he was racing until the day before the race.  I 'kind of' followed him during the race.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Red White & Blue, yes O'Donnell did well.  I was surprised to see Miranda be able to jump up on Tim after the race.  I remember crossing the line without any desire to move my legs let alone lift both of them off the ground at the same time.  That was a great picture of her hugging O'Donnell at the finish line.

Yes, Ramsey as well.  I didn't really know he was racing until the day before the race.  I 'kind of' followed him during the race.

But you didn't just win your second World Championship while setting two course records.Big grin

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life