Swim Bike Run

My first triathlon (Read 382 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

<font><font><font>Hopefully this post will look better, hopefully.</font></font></font>

<font><font><font face="Calibri"></font></font></font>

<font><font><font>Okay, I’ve got my first Sprint triathlon Saturday (300 yard swim, 16.5m bike, 3m run).  Here is the list of things to pack in my transition bag:

</font></font></font>

<font> </font>

<font><font><font>Helmet

</font></font></font>

<font><font><font>Bike Gloves

</font></font></font>

<font><font><font>Sunglasses

</font></font></font>

<font><font><font>Hat

</font></font></font>

<font><font><font>Running Shirt

</font></font></font>

<font><font><font>Running Shoes

</font></font></font>

<font><font><font>Socks

</font></font></font>

<font><font><font>Towels

</font></font></font>

<font><font><font>Water Bottle w/ Gatorade (for bike)

</font></font></font>

<font><font><font>Water bottle w/ water (for transition area)

</font></font></font>

<font><font><font>Swimming goggles

</font></font></font>

<font> </font>

<font>I am making a list so I make sure to pack/bring everything…am I forgetting anything?</font>

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

protoplasm72

Sunscreen, bug spray, plastic shopping bags.  Do you have bike shoes?  I'd skip the bike gloves.

I pack 2 bags.  One goes into transition the other stays in the car.  The car bag has extra towels and a change of clothes.  Nothing that isn't necessary during the race goes into transition (except the bag that carries all the stuff).

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Hey Paul - I don't think I've met you but it looks like we live in the same area, and I think we're doing the same triathlon.  This was my first one two years ago.  It's a great race!

You may want to use a race belt to put your race bib on to make transition easier/quicker, but if you're changing shirts, just having the bib pinned onto the shirt will be fine.

You also may want to bring a swim cap since it's a pool swim and they won't provide one at the race.  It's optional for a pool swim, so if you don't mind swimming without one, leave it.

Make sure to bring your USAT card and photo ID.

There are shower facilities, so if you plan on a shower, bring shampoo, etc.

Good luck to you - maybe I'll see you there!

Cool!  Good luck!

I have my 2nd ever, 1st in 10 years on Sunday.  So it might as well be my first.  Now I don't need to make a list!  I just need to delete all that formatting crap. 

I was thinking of bringing a bucket for water to wash my feet off...not sure if there is room for something like that, or if I should just dedicated a water bottle for that purpose.

Someone else recommended a "race belt" to me, for having the number on.  I guess on the bike it is supposed to be in the back and the run in the front, so you just swivel the belt around. 

Hope it goes well for you!
          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Race belt is a great call.  I have an Amphipod one that I used for marathons, since it has a nifty removable pouch for things like gels an inhaler.  I used it for my duathlon and it was a perfect way to not have to be pinning and unpinning my #--especially since the weather was bad and I had to add a long-sleeve top for my bike.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

protoplasm72

Cool!  Good luck!

I have my 2nd ever, 1st in 10 years on Sunday.  So it might as well be my first.  Now I don't need to make a list!  I just need to delete all that formatting crap. 

I was thinking of bringing a bucket for water to wash my feet off...not sure if there is room for something like that, or if I should just dedicated a water bottle for that purpose.

Someone else recommended a "race belt" to me, for having the number on.  I guess on the bike it is supposed to be in the back and the run in the front, so you just swivel the belt around. 

Hope it goes well for you!

I never wear my race belt on the bike.  There is usually a number on the bike and your helmet plus your body marking.  I've never heard of it being required to wear it on the bike.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I never wear my race belt on the bike.  There is usually a number on the bike and your helmet plus your body marking.  I've never heard of it being required to wear it on the bike.

Ditto, don't bother with it. All the tri's I've been around tell the psrticipants that the number is required on the run only.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

IMKY13 finish!!

Thanks for the tips!!!

As far as the number belt or no number belt is concerned...I am planning on wearing the same shirt for the bike portion as well as the run portion...so can't I just put my race bib number on the shirt prior to the race?

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

Thanks for the tips!!!

As far as the number belt or no number belt is concerned...I am planning on wearing the same shirt for the bike portion as well as the run portion...so can't I just put my race bib number on the shirt prior to the race?

Yes - that should work fine.

Also, on the last 2.5 miles of the bike course, the road is pretty rough, so I would make sure and drink all you're going to on the bike BEFORE you get to the last part of the course.

IMKY13 finish!!

Also, on the last 2.5 miles of the bike course, the road is pretty rough, so I would make sure and drink all you're going to on the bike BEFORE you get to the last part of the course.

Yea, I drove the bike portion this past weekend.  That part doesn't "scare" me...it's all the hills before that.  Doesn't appear to be much flat area on the bike portion....seems like you are either going up or going down. 

How is the run portion?

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Yea, I drove the bike portion this past weekend.  That part doesn't "scare" me...it's all the hills before that.  Doesn't appear to be much flat area on the bike portion....seems like you are either going up or going down. 

How is the run portion?

The run course isn't bad.  The first 3/4 mile or so is the same as the bike course, then you take a left turn and loop around to the other side of the pool area.  Near the turnaround there's a pretty good hill, but the good thing is, once you turn around you have a nice downhill and mostly flat other than that.

IMKY13 finish!!

Well, i completed my first triathlon...and I finished!!!! Cool

Here are my times:

300 yard swim 7:58

T1 4:02

16.5mile bike 1:05:29

T2 1:15

3 mile run 31:09

Overall time was 1:49:51

My ultimate goal for my first one was to just finish...and I did that.  Now it's on to improve my times.  Here are some areas for improvement:

Swim: Overall I am thrilled with this time as I did a "time trial" about 2 weeks ago and I did 300 yards in 9 minutes...so I shaved 1 minute off.  Also, I only started swimming at the end of April (4 months ago) and didn't have a coach.  So I am sure there is a lot of room to improve my efficiency (I just may invest in a coach and/or swim lessons)

Bike:  May look into getting bike shoes/clips and aero bars...I think those two items will greatly improve my time there.  Also need to work on my hill climbs and drinking water/sports drink while on bike.

Run: I am normally a runner...but I was just so tired at this point.  I think I need to run more bricks and run on "tired" legs more

Transition times: Mostly in T1...need to learn to bike/run without socks, get those quick ties things for my running shoes.

Overall, I am thrilled to now be a triathlete!!!

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Slo

There is no need for socks on the bike. If I'm running 4 miles or less I go sockless on the run. This is a big time saver.....esp trying to pull socks over wet feet.

Going clipless and learning how to push/pull with each leg can help. More saddle time will always make you faster.

Nice T2 transition.

Congrats on your first Tri !!!! 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Going clipless and learning how to push/pull with each leg can help. More saddle time will always make you faster.

Nice T2 transition.

Congrats on your first Tri !!!! 

I am definitely more comfortable on a bike with clipless pedals/shoes.  And more saddle time is definitely key.  My average mph pace has increased since I first started riding in Nov. by ~4mph and for MUCH longer distances.  Helps that I sprained my ankle in June and am only recently building my running miles back up.  I've had a few months of biking like a fiend to maintain my fitness (and it's fun as hell, so that helps).

Congrats on becoming a triathlete!  It's nice to get that first race under one's belt and know what to work on for the next race. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

IMKY13 finish!!

Nice T2 transition.

Thanks...but don't forget: I didn't need to change from biking shoes to running shoes at T2.  All I had to do was rack my back, and take off my helmet.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!