Swim Bike Run

Bizarre OW phobias (Read 318 times)

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Okay, so I just spent the last thread trying to convince SLO_HAND that I was comfortable in the water, but still.... Whenever I'm swimming by myself in open water (or my friends have gone on way ahead or behind), I sometimes find myself inventing incredibly bizarre phobias. What if that anchor down there is really a gateway to hell? What if there ARE freshwater sharks? What happens if the lake starts to drain and turns into a giant whirlpool? I'm never troubled by what could be real concerns - I'm not worried about sharks, when I'm, say, in the ocean. Or worry too much about getting hit by a drunk-ass motorboat driver when on a lake. Does anyone else do this? Or is it just me?

The voice of mile 18

"Whenever I'm swimming by myself in open water (or my friends have gone on way ahead or behind), I sometimes find myself inventing incredibly bizarre phobias. What if that anchor down there is really a gateway to hell? What if there ARE freshwater sharks? What happens if the lake starts to drain and turns into a giant whirlpool?" um think that might be just you. I just paddle away and look for feet generally bored outta my mind

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

db7

Sounds like you just need more time in the water. Try swimming 5-6 strokes with your eyes closed when you are in the pool. This will help with your phobia and help you work on swimming in a straight line. Think of it like when you signed up for your first marathon. I bet you didnt think you could do it or at least a fair amount of anxiety. Stick with it. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

I agree it sounds like more time in the water. I don't have any specific phobias, but getting in the water is always difficult for me, way more difficult than being in the water. I've never actually had any fear while in the water. I guess may I need more time in the water. BTW, Erica, where do you do your swims? I "lived in somerville" for my undergrad. My brother still lives in the Boston area (he's the reason I got into Tris vs just running) and does his OWS practice in Walden Pond.
          pitrunner

Okay, so I just spent the last thread trying to convince SLO_HAND that I was comfortable in the water, but still.... Whenever I'm swimming by myself in open water (or my friends have gone on way ahead or behind), I sometimes find myself inventing incredibly bizarre phobias. What if that anchor down there is really a gateway to hell? What if there ARE freshwater sharks? What happens if the lake starts to drain and turns into a giant whirlpool? I'm never troubled by what could be real concerns - I'm not worried about sharks, when I'm, say, in the ocean. Or worry too much about getting hit by a drunk-ass motorboat driver when on a lake. Does anyone else do this? Or is it just me?
            I always imagine the sea weed I'm swimming through is really the gilly (sp?) weed from Harry Potter. It's going to latch on to me and take me down. Freshwater sharks have crossed my mind too, lol.
            pitrunner

whoops

Gotta TRI

I'd have to agree with you Erica though I'm ususally fine on race day. but in traininig and especially on my own I can really freak myself out. what was that movie?....you know the one where all the dead bodies are tied to the bottom? That or the scene where Freddie jumps out of the water at the end of friday the 13th. THESE are the things that cross my mind. Other than that... I love swimming!
                2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                  I'd have to agree with you Erica though I'm ususally fine on race day. but in traininig and especially on my own I can really freak myself out. what was that movie?....you know the one where all the dead bodies are tied to the bottom? That or the scene where Freddie jumps out of the water at the end of friday the 13th. THESE are the things that cross my mind. Other than that... I love swimming!
                  I think this thread has created more phobias than I had before....
                  seeEricaRun

Awesome

BTW, Erica, where do you do your swims? I "lived in somerville" for my undergrad. My brother still lives in the Boston area (he's the reason I got into Tris vs just running) and does his OWS practice in Walden Pond.
                    Mystic Lakes early in the morning before the lifeguards show up (sometimes with friends and a couple times with the Mystic Marauders, if he wants to look them up), and Walden Pond. I also spent a lot of time swimming in upstate NY last year, but that's not terribly close to Somerville. I also "lived in Somerville" for my undergrad. Actually - looks like we might have overlapped at the same school at the same time, probably getting the same degree (Computer Science).
                    seeEricaRun

Awesome

I always imagine the sea weed I'm swimming through is really the gilly (sp?) weed from Harry Potter. It's going to latch on to me and take me down. Freshwater sharks have crossed my mind too, lol.
                      Hahaha. Glad it's not just me. Now I have new things to worry about! I'm guessing it's probably just some weird learned childhood behavior, since I've pretty much always done this... I definitely hope it goes away as I OW swim more! Though I still sometimes worry that my parents' hallway looks like that scene from Poltergeist... And this is why I can't watch horror movies.
                        Mystic Lakes early in the morning before the lifeguards show up (sometimes with friends and a couple times with the Mystic Marauders, if he wants to look them up), and Walden Pond. I also spent a lot of time swimming in upstate NY last year, but that's not terribly close to Somerville. I also "lived in Somerville" for my undergrad. Actually - looks like we might have overlapped at the same school at the same time, probably getting the same degree (Computer Science).
                        I think I may have done some running around Mystic Lakes, I had a brief stint on the various running teams there. My only personal experience at Walden was at 2am. Yes, I did study CS, finishing in 1995 (spent my junior year in england, though). If you tell me you did your swimming in Lake George, that'll be too much (I grew up in upstate and my parents still have a boat there).
                        seeEricaRun

Awesome

I think I may have done some running around Mystic Lakes, I had a brief stint on the various running teams there. My only personal experience at Walden was at 2am. Yes, I did study CS, finishing in 1995 (spent my junior year in england, though). If you tell me you did your swimming in Lake George, that'll be too much (I grew up in upstate and my parents still have a boat there).
                          Funny, I graduated in '97 - I can't imagine we didn't meet, or at least spent time in Halligan (or maybe it was still Pearson then) at the same time. Not Lake George - the other side of the state - my father's family has a camp on Skaneateles Lake (one of the Finger Lakes), so I try to spend some time up there every summer.
                            Funny, I graduated in '97 - I can't imagine we didn't meet, or at least spent time in Halligan (or maybe it was still Pearson then) at the same time.
                            I'm sure you're right. Very funny.