Swim Bike Run

4 days away from first Half Ironman (Read 339 times)

I'll be doing Beach to Battleship in Wilmington, NC on Nov 13.

Weather says low 48 deg, high 68, and the water temp is about 66 now.  

If I can make it through the swim relaxed, I think it will be a good day.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Those temps sound pretty nice for the bike and run.  Good luck!  Were it not for that pesky swimming thing I think a half IM sounds kinda "fun."

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Good luck

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom zoom - yes, hopefully it won't change between now and then Smile

Thanks Burnt toast.

Good luck Tony, sounds cold, hope u have a wetsuit
            T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Go get 'em Tony!  Rip their legs off!!

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Thanks for the good luck wishes!

My swim time goal was 34 minutes (counting on a strong current through the channel), Actual time was 48 minutes. (for 68th out of 80 in my AG on the swim)  There are at least 2 reasons for missing my swim goal - 1. The current was weaker than last year (so I'm told by those who did both races, and 2. I'M weaker than I thought I was (hard to believe because I was well aware of my swimming weakness)

Bike goal time 2:48, ACTUAL time 2:43 (for 13th out of 80 in my AG on the bike)  This was about a 20.6 mph avg and the first 30-35 miles was into a headwind or crosswind.

Run goal time 1:50, ACTUAL time 1:52 (for 5th out of 80 in my AG on the run)  Even though I missed my goal a bit, I was pretty happy with the run since my Half Marathon PR is only about 7.5 minutes faster. 

Overall time goal 5:20, ACTUAL time 5:36 (for 20th out of 80 in my AG)

This was an incredible experience for me, and I hope I never forget the feeling I had when I crossed the finish line.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Very nice, Tony!  It has to be hard to predict a goal for 3 events, like that.  Finishing in the top quarter of your AG is still excellent!  This sounds like it was a big race!  The one and only duathlon I've done only had 9 people in my AG.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Awesome! Congrats!

Nice bike and run splits. Now you know what your limiter is and can start hammering on it to improve. Technique, technique, technique.

MTA

If you swim was good enough to get your predicted time, what would your OA age group place have been?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

Very well done.

It can be tough to get all three to come together.

Definitly a finish you can be proud of.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Nice job Tony.  Great pacing.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

This was an incredible experience for me, and I hope I never forget the feeling I had when I crossed the finish line.

Congrats! I know what you mean here, and I'm sure you will never forget it.

Thanks everyone! 

Zoom-zoom - Yes it was a lot of fun in spite of the swim.  Smile

Burnt Toast - If I had met my swim goal, I would have been 8th in my AG, but it turns out that 34 minutes this year would have put me 10th on the swim, whereas last year it would have put me in the bottom quarter I think.  

T-bone - thanks for your help.  I've never come off the bike feeling that strong on the run... not even in a sprint triathlon.  I wore my HR monitor, but when I started the run, it said 190 or something crazy like that, so I just went by effort.  I think I'll practice staying in the zones based on HR in training for my next one.