Swim Bike Run

Aero Bars (Read 432 times)

Just went to the local bike shop and they only had 2, one for 100 and the other for 130, and the fit would be an additional 100, wtf. Is it me or is that a lot? I would like to put aerobars on my ride bike before I set it up on the trainer that I just got. Looks like ebay it is. Any recommendations on which kind and also how to fit it or where online I can find how to fit it myself. Going to get a Tri bike in Feb or March so couldn't justify spending that much on the road bike.
    T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

If you are goung to get a tri bike in February, I'd tell you to hold off.  The reason is that it is nice to have a tri bike and a true road bike.  You'll find it nice to be able to switch it up from time to time.  Also, many group rides forbid tri bike.  Save the $200 and put it toward your new tri bike this winter/spring.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

So I should use the trainer this winter with my road bike without the aerobars? I was told that I should get them so I could get used to the position. Just wondering because I've never been on a tri bike or in the position with the aerobars. Thanks for the input
        T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

The big difference between a tri bike and a road bike is the seat post angle.  On a tri bike, you pelvis is rotated forward and your legs are pushing a little toward the back, putting you in a more aerodynamic position.  Putting aerobars on your bike won't change the seat post angle, but it will help you get a little more areo.  I'd say just use your road bike on your trainer and try to ride in the drops as much as possible.  That will help your back, neck and hamstrings get used to the position.  Once you get your tri bike, the clip on areo bars will be useless to you, so I'd encourage you to save your money and put it toward the tri bike.

BTW - what bike are you thinking about?

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Cool thanks, I have no clue which bike today, the parts, designs, etc are like a foreign language to me, still learning. I was looking at a Giant and Cervello at the store that I went to today. Not sure on exact make though. Looking to spend about 2k (hopefully I'll get a good tax return).
            T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

That was going to be my next question - price range.  I'll get back to you in a couple of days.  Drinking now.

Haha enjoy
                T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

$1,999.95.

Sweet ride.  I think this was the bike Crissey Wellington rode to victory at the Ironman World Championship in 2008.

Price is for frameset only, no components. Add 800 for Ultegra.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

A little tentative to get it online, shouldn't I get fitted for it in person?

Gotta TRI

A little tentative to get it online, shouldn't I get fitted for it in person?

Ideally, yes.  Wishing I had.

2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                        ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

FWIW, I put some cheap aero bars on my road bike and use them on training rides, I usually only ride my tri bike when I race.  although the clip on aero aren't' an exact duplication of my tri-biik aero position I find it helps get my neck and back ready for when I do ride the tri-bike.  For me, riding in the drops isn't close enough to the aero position so my neck will get stiff if I don't ride the bars some.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                          My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                          Ride 112 miles.
                          Run 26.2 miles.
                          Then brag for the rest of your life.
                          -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

My wife got the P2 carbon in 2008 and loves it. I have a older P3 and if I get a new cevelo it will be a P2 carbon.

Wannabee Newbie

I use clip on as well.....but take it a step further with a Tri seat post and tri seat that moves me farther forward.

Someday I hope to get a tri-bike.