Swim Bike Run

On the topic of aerobars -- where to attach computer/lights? (Read 410 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've seen those little nob things, but I don't know that they are large enough to attach a Forerunner 305, especially if one uses the sort of rubber "pseudo-wrist" attachment for most rides.  I've also seen some adaptors that attach to the stem, like this one:

Anyone have any other options that have worked well?  I'm pretty certain I won't have room for my Garmin or a light once the aerobars are on.  My bars are only 40cm and are flat-topped, except for a few inches in the middle for the stem attachment.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Home Away From Home

After just returning from my ride after sliding my bars in closer there is zero room for my 305. I had to wear it on my wrist.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I definitely don't want to have to wear it on my wrist.  Then it's difficult to see/use.

This attachment thingy looks good, too.  Reviews aren't bad, either.

~ Sarah Kay

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Seems like those things would poke you in the eye (or at least b e very much in the way) if you were in the aero position.  I have a real short one that I can attach to the aerobar and position it on the outside of the bar. It is only about 3 inches long, I'm looking for a photo of it online and will post when I find it.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
          My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
          Ride 112 miles.
          Run 26.2 miles.
          Then brag for the rest of your life.
          -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Seems like those things would poke you in the eye (or at least b e very much in the way) if you were in the aero position.

They can also be attached so they come out under the bars, too (either from the bars or the stem)...but I'm not sure I'd be able to see anything if my hands are on the tops, or not...?

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I should add that I'd prefer something that doesn't attach to the aerobars, since I probably won't leave them on all the time and I don't want to have to move my computer mounts all the time.

~ Sarah Kay

I have a knob about 2 - 3 inches that goes on the outside of my aero bars.  Works fairly well. 

Between my bars is a waterbottle, so I needed to put it to the outside of my bars.

I used to have it attached to my stem, but when you're in the aero position, you won't be able to read the screens.

While in the aero position, I need to move my wrist slightly (while still holding the bar and having my elbow resting) in order to read the screen.  It works fine.

My only recommendation would be to put glue in the thread of the connector.  A few weeks ago, I had my knob fall off my bars, as that mechanism is a plastic screw item.  Fortunately, my Garmin lives another day, and a little monster glue in there keeps the knob on the bar.

Cheers,

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Regardling lights.... I place my light underneath my elbow pad (between bar and aerobar).  There's enough room to hold it there.  I put it on the left side as close to the center as possible (to have better visibility and least obstruction)

Life Goals:

Home Away From Home

I have a knob about 2 - 3 inches that goes on the outside of my aero bars. 

Brain- Do you have a name or photo of this2-3" knobby thing?  Curious what it is as it sounds like it might be worth checking out. Thanks.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

I'll look, but I bet it's from Profile Design, as they happen to be the manufacturer of most of my add-on bike stuff.  I'll let you know tomorrow.

Life Goals:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My only recommendation would be to put glue in the thread of the connector.  A few weeks ago, I had my knob fall off my bars, as that mechanism is a plastic screw item.  Fortunately, my Garmin lives another day, and a little monster glue in there keeps the knob on the bar.

Cheers,

Brian

Yikes, good advice!  I just replaced my first 305, as my first one was starting to flake-out after 3.5 years of hard use.

~ Sarah Kay

http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/accessories

It's a UCM xl which is 60mm long.

As I said earlier, the thread needs help (with glue) to prevent the knob from separating from the thread.  Otherwise, the Garmin holds steady and stable when setup properly.

Life Goals:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So what kind of glue do you use?

~ Sarah Kay

I used monster glue. 

Life Goals:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is that like superglue?  On the topic of glue, my new (used) aerobars came.  They are in really good condition, though I notice on one of them the prickly half of the velcro elbow pad attachment is starting to come off of the elbow bracket piece.  Any idea what glue would work to reattach that better?  The elbow base pieces are carbon, from the look of it (or plastic meant to look like carbon, but I think they are the real deal).

~ Sarah Kay