Swim Bike Run

70.3 training interruption... (Read 128 times)

pitrunner

Hi all. I'm considering registering for the Miami 70.3 this October. I'm already training like I'm doing it and feel pretty motivated...but I'm worried about how an upcoming vacation is going to mess me up. Next week I leave for Sweden & Denmark and will be there for 10 days. I can easily run every day that I'm there and possibly get in 2 - 3 swims, but biking is going to be more difficult. My friend has found me a bike to borrow but I'm concerned with planning 30-40 mile routes and getting lost, not understanding signage, etc.

So let's say worst case scenario is that I don't bike at all for 10 days, do you think that I should forget about Miami this year? The next 70.3 that would make any sense for me to do with travel, etc would be Eagleman next June...which sucks. I feel motivated now so want to strike while the iron's hot!

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Also, if anyone has done Miami I'd love to hear about your experience. Thanks!

Oh Mighty Wing

OH I'm considering Eagleman!!! either that or florida in May. We shall see though...

Is this a goal race (time wise)? 

I think you would be fine missing the bike as long as you can run/swim. I don't really think 10 days of missing 1 activity is enough to ruin the race. 

IMKY13 finish!!

are you staying at a hotel with a fitness area....perhaps there is a stationary bike you can ride on a couple of times.  I know that stationary bikes are boring, but it's better than nothing

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

jdais

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

I wouldn't worry about being off of a bike for 10 days when its 2 months before the race.
            If you're looking for a specific time, that goal might be compromised some (but I doubt it).

Enjoy running and swimming while in Sweden. 
            Maybe do some leg specific weight training a couple times.

Don't worry about the bike.

You're going on vacation!

Balance your life, and enjoy your vacation.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

pitrunner

Thanks for the responses guys!

Jelly - I think I'm going to end up doing Eagleman regardless of whether or not I do Miami. My family used to have a house that the bike course runs right past...so Cambridge has a special place in my heart. Hope to see you there!  Miami's goal is just to finish...no time in mind just yet.

Pablo - we're staying with a friend so no gym access Sad

jdais - I already have access to a bike...it's figuring out routes, understanding signs, and not getting lost that I'm more concerned with. I hope to maybe get in a couple of 20 milers once I get there and become familiar with the town we're staying in. Going long is what I'm more concerned with.

Brian - nice way of looking at things! I need to keep that in mind during this training cycle Smile