Swim Bike Run

question about riding with areobars (Read 163 times)

Muebele

this weekend I took my first ride outdoors on my new tribike.  I am not the best rider, but decided to get a tri bike because I only ride when I do triathlons and I got a deal I could not pass up.  It was a rough ride.  It was the first time I rode with areobars and I felt that I was putting a lot of weight on my arms.  I did get the bike fit for me.  Not sure if that is typical, or do I need to get my fit adjusted?  I think I read that riding in the areo position you do put a lot of weight on your arms.  Am I riding wrong?  Or do I need some time to get used to the new position?

any advice?

thanks!

I'm not really sure on the different positions as I am a beginner also (had my tri bike for 1 year). But I did notice that it took me a little over a month to get used to the aero position when I first got my bike. I remember my arms and upper back being sore and also just feeling unstable in that position. It goes away with practice and the more you ride on it. If it still bothers you after a few weeks then maybe I would get re-fittned. Good luck. 

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Bike_positions_of_pro_triathletes_1603.html

Yes, your weight should be on your forearm (near your elbow).  I like the ride on a tribike better than a road bike, as I find it more comfortable.

See the attached link.  Obviously, these pro's have their bars much lower than the seat, which makes for an uncomfortable ride (for you and I), but the angle of the shoulder to the elbow to the wrist is about the same on all of the pictures. 

Falling hurts, be careful, and be comfortable.
        Enjoy,

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life