Swim Bike Run

Profile Design - Aero Bars T1+ or T2+ or ??? (Read 816 times)

I ride a Cannondale Slice, and it comes with T2+ bars.

I took a spill on Sunday and bent the Aero bar.   I went head over and planted the aero bars in about 6 inches of mud.  The shifters are fine.  The brake levers are fine.  The wheel spins true.... Believe it or not, that's all that I can see that's damaged.  No scratches on the bike at all.

Anyway, I have T1+ bars on my Cannondale Synapse road bike.

My question is...

Should I move my T1+ bars from my road bike to my Triathlon bike or are the T2+ bars better for aerodynamic ride?

I've seen pictures while looking at slowtwitch.com, and it looks like a couple of the professional riders within the "bike position" have a T1+ style bar (Cameron Brown), but most of them have a T2+ style.

Personally, I don't feel as comfortable with the T2+ style.  My right hand does not feel comfortable and it feels like it's too low relative to my forearm (it's a little cramped and confined).  It's OK, but just not as comfortable as I was while riding my road bike....

Thoughts? T1+ or T2+ or other...

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

No clue.  But I would have your bike mechanic give the bike a once over.  If the bike hit hard enough to bend the alloy aero bar, the accident could have caused other damge that is not readily apparent. Hope you are ok.  Be careful out there.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Slo

but just not as comfortable as I was while riding my road bike....

Thoughts? T1+ or T2+ or other...

Define comfortable....as in handeling confidence or taking a nap.

Time trial bikes are little squirrely. I never feel comfortable on them. A small twitch can result in alot of unexpected movement. And then the geometery...it wasn't designed for creature comfort. Only a Triathlete would enjoy riding a century on a Tri bike.

I honestly couldn't tell you if one is better than the other in re: to aero...I would go with the comfort first. Both types if your going long. In a sprint or a Oly I would sacrfice creature comfort and suck it up.

And what T-Bone said. Paint can easily cover up cracks. Your forks and headset likely took some pretty good forces.

When my thumb is the same level as my pinky, my wrist is uncomfortable. When my thumb is further from the ground, its more comfortable. I agree wither the twice / trice over on the frame check. The only thing that makes me optimistic is that the aero bars were submerged in 4 inches of mud, and nothing else even had any on it. I felt every bit of the frame and nothing feels off. My knee took a big hit too. Otherwise, all is well. Fingers crossed on the frame.

Life Goals:

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I just switched from Vision aero bars with a slight bend up at the end to the newer version that is flat.  I agree they are more uncomfortable with the flat wrist, which has me a little concerned, but I've only been on it on the Computrainer (too much snow/ice/cold).  It will be interesting to see how this works once I get outside and start piling up some miles.  I'll let you know, but I guess that doesn't help answer your question.  Maybe just stick to what you have used.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Slo

Couldn't help but notice... neither of us said..."Glad to hear your alright!"

Really, and endo on a road bike rarely has a happy ending.  You'll need to give some detail on exactly what happend.

BTW, Glad your alright.

IMKY13 finish!!

BTW, Glad your alright.

+1

I have no clue about the difference between T1+ and T2+  Confused

heck i thought T1 was time for 1st transition and T2 was 2nd transition time Smile

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Couldn't help but notice... neither of us said..."Glad to hear your alright!"

Really, and endo on a road bike rarely has a happy ending.  You'll need to give some detail on exactly what happend.

BTW, Glad your alright.

Thank you.  I'm glad I'm "alright" too, but "all right" may not be the best description of my current condition....

My knee is more bruised than road rashed.  It's tender to the touch, but I feel fine running and riding on a stationary bike.  I have 3 cuts / scrapes, but no rash on my knee.

I was on the typical 3 hour tour de Flower Mound (my home town) that ends out being about 55 miles.  The majority of the ride is in the country with horses, donkeys, cows, and farmland as my scenery.  I leave from my home, which is more residential (curbs, stoplights, stopsigns, etc.).  I was on mile 54 of a 56 mile ride, and I was back in the residential area.  I had a great ride, and was now at the point where I wanted to get 56 miles in 3:00, which I have never done before.

So, I turned from one feeder road onto another feeder road (neither streets have houses going directly to the road, and neither street is overly busy).  The street I turned on, though, was having construction over the past few months and shifting lanes a few feet to left or right... The speed limit on the street was 35 MPH....  It was a 2 lane each direction street on a Sunday afternoon with very little traffic.  I was riding along at a decent pace (18+mph).  On those types of streets, I'm riding with finger at the brake levers.  I was doing a shoulder check to see if there were cars behind me, and there were 2 cars side by side behind me, and the 1 car was doing a lane change into the left lane.  I took an extra second to verify / confirm what I saw.  When I looked forward, I realized that the lane shifted to the left enough to make it that I was only about 3 inches from the curb.  Rather than correcting myself by steering and going into the lane more, I tried to balance myself to the left slightly. 

Obviously, it didn't work.  Based on my chain links, gear, tire and rim review post accident, it appears as if I bailed out after losing balance rather than actually hitting the curb.  Nothing has a scratch or any cause of concrete contact.  So, with my eyes likely shut (and my memory now blank), I'm guessing that as I went off to the right, my aero bars got lodged into some constuction mud and caused me to slap the sidewalk concrete with my right knee and right hip.

For as much mud was in the location between the curb and the sidewalk, the fact that my aero bars were covered in mud, and there was no mud on any other part of my bike, I'm guessing that my bars acted like a pole vaulter sticking his place in the pit.  It was not your typical "endo" as the front of my tire did not touch anything.  I was not catapulted.

The aero bars "break" was relatively minor.  They were bent to the right slightly, and there was a flat spot at the location where it mounts to the frame (high leverage point).  The fault occured as if there was weight on the aerobars. 

I was able to ride home, and I've inspected the bike every night since it happened.  I've removed items, and have looked high and low.  I've felt all points and have paid special attention to the high load stress points based on what I know from the accident. 

Anyway, it was a humbling experience, and I'm glad I decided to go to the right rather than the left.  Whatever damage there is to my bike or to my knee is minor relative to the vehicle to my left that could have punted me into the new world.

Cheers,
                  Brian

Life Goals:

Oh, and my quote below that I've had on here may need to be used...

"If you realize that you can't do what you set out to do,
                    Then set out to do what you can do."

I'm scheduled to do a 70.3 on April 10 in Galveston.... Based on the bruises on my knee, I may need to "set out to do what I can do" because "I may realize that I can't do what I set out to do."

Oh well,
                    Brian

Life Goals: