Swim Bike Run

my 2009 opening OWS report (Read 329 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

68F water temp (about 2ft down) supposedly channel bottom is about 58F (ya, I won't be swimming on the channel bottom) after started swimming felt fine no wetsuit felt fine on way out, short swim, felt tired on way back, heh only about 0.3mi total but felt beat afterward good times

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Slo

I really wish I had a place I could OWS !
      protoplasm72

Lucky, already 68 by you. Lake Michigan is 45 degrees at the surface. Maybe by June it'll warm up enough to get some OWS in.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Gotta TRI

What I wouldn't give to have 68f water. I'm 4 weeks out from my first event, 5 from second one. The water was 52 dgrees last year for both of these events. I'm determined to be in the water by May 1st, but we'll see. The ice just cleared one of the lakes like two weeks ago.
          2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... The ice just cleared one of the lakes like two weeks ago.
            Ouch.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

After tonight's swim, I will say it is really tough to keep up when everyone else is wearing wet suits and I'm not. But great exercise Smile

Gotta TRI

I did it! I did it! 44 degrees, but I did it! Thank god for wetsuits. The worst part was going back in the water to remove wetsuit ( as I didn't want to drag it through the sand ). I skipped a few breaths there Big grin Can't say exact distance but was in the water about a half hour. Once I warmed up it wasn't too bad. Can't wait for first race now!
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Gotta TRI

For what it's worth, I did a second swim in the lake last night. Still cold. But did a little better. I'm certainly getting some funny looks though Big grin
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Our second full OWS was last night, and I believe water was up to 70. Was pretty warm this time, didn't even feel cold when entering. But did feel some cold spots later. Switched off halfway through with one paddler so she could swim too, so she also used no wetsuit (and my goggles & cap). Everyone else in wetsuits again. Crazy people out in 44 stuff!

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I'm certainly getting some funny looks though Big grin
                        I didn't think you could see me from all the way up there Tongue. Madman.
                        pitrunner

Our second full OWS was last night, and I believe water was up to 70. Was pretty warm this time, didn't even feel cold when entering. But did feel some cold spots later. Switched off halfway through with one paddler so she could swim too, so she also used no wetsuit (and my goggles & cap). Everyone else in wetsuits again. Crazy people out in 44 stuff!
                          AP - I get the feeling you're in or around Maryland, am I right? If so, I'm wondering if I can start up OWS this weekend. I usually swim at Gunpowder State Park in Middle River. Any idea if it'll be warm enough with a wetsuit??
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

AP - I get the feeling you're in or around Maryland, am I right? If so, I'm wondering if I can start up OWS this weekend. I usually swim at Gunpowder State Park in Middle River. Any idea if it'll be warm enough with a wetsuit??
                            I expect it is. You might ring the park and ask they if they know of anyone keeping temperature data for either that area or anything nearby. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/dv?referred_module=sw&site_no=01597500 shows abt 13C (~55F) at Savage River somewhere in Bloomington, MD, and I'd expect it likely to be warmer in Baltimore area... This site http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishingreport/freshwater.asp has some links to freshwater data near the bottom -- but didn't spot any in your area. Maybe try ringing MD DNR and ask them if they have any leads (on web site reported temperature readings) as well? Worst case, you could get a thermometer and go measure, but obviously it is much nicer to take advantage of regular reporting someone else is already doing.