Swim Bike Run

Open water swim (Read 155 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

So...I am doing my first open water swim workout Friday evening.  Anyone got any tips?

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Try to start a little bit away from others, especially the big guys (we'll run you over, but we're great to draft off of). That being said, if someone goes by you with enough of a wave to notice, get behind them, like you're breathing off their hip or slightly behind, and they will pull you along. That is the most wonderful thing about swimming in an open water group!

Other than that, if you've done an open water start to a race or even seen one, know that the practice will be much more friendly; people will be much nicer and not go over the top of you. Definitely enjoy yourself and get used to the idea of open water swimming!

Here are some top of mind pointers that were handed to me verbally that I try to use when I swim in open water.

1. know your markers in the water, and realize that those markers are real small when your eyes are at water level.  Towers and trees are better than a buoy.

2. if you breathe to the right, swim to the left of the main group (if left, opposite). 

3. when you're swimming, ride the wake of the person to your side and look at their hip when you breathe.  Try not to look forward often.

4. if you lose your bearings, and don't notice other people nearby, then raise your head to find your bearings (tree, tower, buoy, boat, dock...).

note: when your head rises out of the water (chin and all), your feet drop, and you stop.  So, if you're riding beside somebody, don't look up.  Trust that they're in the right direction.  It's better to drift somewhat off course than to stop too many times to verify course (energy inefficient).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Bugs

Warm-up just a few yards close to shore before heading too far out. Get comfortable in the water before heading too far out.

Bugs