Swim Bike Run

2014-04 Triathlon News Thread (Read 28 times)

1. Drone hits Triathlete mid race in AUS.  Have you seen this?  I don't think this would be permitted in the USA due to FAA regulations.  Apparently, the operator had some hand / eye coordination issues.

2. On March 29, I swam in open water.  The water was freezing! 54 degrees (air and water).  It was with DFW Tri Club (Dallas / Fort Worth Tri Club) and there were about 200 people there (including Chris Lieto).

3. 2014 racing season has begun here in USA.  Galveston 1/2 Ironman was yesterday.  I helped train a friend from a runner to a triathlete over the past year, and he was able to finish and enjoy his 1st 1/2 Ironman.  In March, 2013, he wasn't able to swim more than 10 yards without resting.  I have video of it.  He bought a bike in March 2013.  He swam in open water for the 1st time last weekend (March 29).  Yesterday, he swam 1.2 miles in choppy / rainy conditions, biked 56 miles, and ran a 1/2 marathon.  Super excited to see a newbie do a 6 hour race and learning how to swim and bike in preparation for this race.  Excited to see what he'll do next.

4. This coming Sunday, my 10 year old son is doing his 1st Sprint Triathlon.  He'll swim 275 yards (pool), bike 13 miles, then run a 5k.  Super excited for him.  I'll start the swim right behind him, and manage him through the finish line.

Share your 2014-April triathlon news (training or racing related).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

IMKY13 finish!!

That's great that your son is doing his first triathlon....you must be super excited & proud!!

Training has been going well for my upcoming triathlon season. No open water swims from me yet…although I will need to get a couple of those in soon. Been working on my running, as that was my weakest link in my first Ironman last August. My first triathlon of the season in on April 27 in Cape Girardeau, MO (450meters / 15.5m / 5m)…it’s a pool swim, but a good first one to work out the kinks. I'll post a RR sometime afterwards.

Here is what my season looks like:

4/27/14: Steamboat Classic Triathlon-Cape Girardeau, MO (450meters / 15.5m / 5m)

5/10/14: Dickson Endurance Triathlon-Dickson, TN (1,600 / 38 / 9.3)….first OWS triathlon of the season

7/27/14: Music City Triathlon-Nashville, TN (Olympic Distance)

8/23/14: Clarksville Triathlon-Clarksville, TN (Olympic Distance)

9/28/14: Ironman Chattanooga (looking to break 14 hours)

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

That's great that your son is doing his first triathlon....you must be super excited & proud!!

The triathlon was great.  The weather was awful. Smile

It was a pool swim, and he did great.  Overall, he came in 54th out of +/-600 racers.

I started about 3 seconds after him and swam in his draft the entire way, and finished about 1 second faster than him Smile

Daddy still got it! Smile.  That was my goal for the race, and I told him I would try to beat him on the swim.

The bike ride was 14 miles and a thunder storm started about 20 minutes earlier.  We had rain non-stop the entire ride, with 20-25mph wind.  It was the strongest wind I rode in.  I stayed about 50 yards behind him the entire time and let him do his thing.  He wasn't fast, but that was ok.  He averaged about 10mph safely through those rough conditions.

The run was good.  He did a 32 minute 5k, and it was good.

He felt like a rockstar.  He was super excited and super proud of himself.
        I was very proud of him and excited for him.  He wants to do another (without me shadowing him).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life