Swim Bike Run

Shoes on the bike (Read 394 times)

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Hi, I'm going to start experimenting with having my shoes already clipped on the bike for a faster T1.  I read a hint to use very thin rubberbands to attache your bike shoes to the fram to keep them horizontal, so you can them slip them on after the mount line and when you start to peddal the bankds break away.  I'm going to test this out during my brick workout this evening.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
    Ride 112 miles.
    Run 26.2 miles.
    Then brag for the rest of your life.
    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Slo

Hi, I'm going to start experimenting with having my shoes already clipped on the bike for a faster T1.  I read a hint to use very thin rubberbands to attache your bike shoes to the fram to keep them horizontal, so you can them slip them on after the mount line and when you start to peddal the bankds break away.  I'm going to test this out during my brick workout this evening.

I've tried this.

Both times one of my rack neighbors had bump my pedals and broke the rubber bands or turned the cranks when they unracked thier bike.

Plus, what ever time would have been  saved I would have lost when I gingerly run out of the transition barefoot.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

hmm, maybe I'll test it and reserve it for very grassy T1 areas.

Swim 2.4 miles.
        Ride 112 miles.
        Run 26.2 miles.

Slo

At the HY-Vee World Championship Triathlons they have mats down for T1 and almost everyone of the pro's used the rubber band with thier shoes already clipped in.
            Can you guys post a pic or a link of where the rubber band is attached? I actually did contemplate this, but tried it once during practice and realized that it would not happen.
            Slo

Try This

T1 Time Saver

Scroll down to where you see the shoe....it'll link you to the article. I must have copied the wrong link.

Practiced this for about an hour today and was surprised on how it wasn't that hard. Will try it during an actual Tri next weekend...
                  Had my 2nd Triathlon today (.5 swim, 12 bike, and 4.4 run), tried the elastics with the shoes in the clips and it went VERY well when I got on the bike. No problems at all. Same issue as a couple of weeks ago when I got off the bike. One shoe got caught scraping the ground and fell off. Luckily this time I had a plan and that was to have my girlfriend grab it if it happened instead of me going back. Looked at the results for a second before I left and both transitions were under a minute and I won the newbie age group. Waiting for the rest of the results to pop up online.

Update: Results are posted.....

Swim was better than expected, bike and run were tough (probably due to the 90 degree weather). I'm really happy overall tho

Tottime  Div/Tot  Div    Rank Swim    Tran1   Rank Bike    Tran2   Rank Run
                  1:26:53   1/60   NEWB-M  251   19:46    0:51  111   36:36    0:45   14   28:57

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Had my 2nd Triathlon today (.5 swim, 12 bike, and 4.4 run), tried the elastics with the shoes in the clips and it went VERY well when I got on the bike. No problems at all. Same issue as a couple of weeks ago when I got off the bike. One shoe got caught scraping the ground and fell off. Luckily this time I had a plan and that was to have my girlfriend grab it if it happened instead of me going back. Looked at the results for a second before I left and both transitions were under a minute and I won the newbie age group. Waiting for the rest of the results to pop up online.

Update: Results are posted.....

Swim was better than expected, bike and run were tough (probably due to the 90 degree weather). I'm really happy overall tho

Tottime  Div/Tot  Div    Rank Swim    Tran1   Rank Bike    Tran2   Rank Run
                    1:26:53   1/60   NEWB-M  251   19:46    0:51  111   36:36    0:45   14   28:57

Hey, nice job on your second tri.  I have a couple of comments, please don't get mad.

1.  If you lost a shoe, you need to go back and get it.  Under USAT rules you could be assessed a penalty for one of two (or possibly both and thus 2 fines equalling 4 minutes penalty) for 1: abandoning equipment and/or 2. receiving outside assistance.

My second comment has to do with entering the novice race category when you have already completed a tri.  In most race rules the Novice category is reserved for first timers only.  But your race rules could be different.

Again, nice job on the tri and I'm glad the rubber banding your shoes is working out for you

Swim 2.4 miles.
                    Ride 112 miles.
                    Run 26.2 miles.

Hey Tri-Kev,

Don't worry I'm not mad at all. I was unaware of the rule of outside assistance in that part of the race. We were told if something fell off your bike on the course (water bottle) then there would be a penalty. But I thought that since it was in transition it would not be a problem and it was not on the course, will definetly take note of that next time. And I asked the Race Director about what to sign up for and he told me to sign up as a newbie. In this race series they said you can be a newbie for your first season of racing. And since this was a longer tri than my first one I decided to sign up as a newbie, if it had been the same sprint distance as the last one I probably would have signed up as an age group. I was even talking to a few people before who said they had been doing tri's for 2 or 3 years and they were still newbies, that got me a little annoyed. Next year I won't be for sure.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Hi Bash,  cool.  I'm glad the RD has that attitude on Novice racers.  That might inspire more people to stick with the sport and not be "one and done" triathletes 

Regarding abandoned equipment, the transition area (including mount/dismount area) is one of the place where you are most likely to get this penalty.  I have known referees to penalize people for dropping gu wrappers here.  One of the least likely scenarios is a dropped water bottle out on the bike course.  Go figure.

Again congrats on a great race!

Swim 2.4 miles.
                        Ride 112 miles.
                        Run 26.2 miles.

Slo

Regarding abandoned equipment, the transition area (including mount/dismount area) is one of the place where you are most likely to get this penalty.  I have known referees to penalize people for dropping gu wrappers here.  One of the least likely scenarios is a dropped water bottle out on the bike course.  Go figure.

The blatant disregard displayed by those that dispose of thier gu paks and water bottles on the course burns my ass.

Being an advid outdoorsman.........I follow the rule.....Pack it in, Pack it out. There is no excuse for the hudreds of Gel Paks littering the highway after a sprint Tri......or even an olympic for that matter. For most the course isn't long enough that your normal energy reserves are anywhere close to depletion.

Almost every Tri begins with a littering talk........I for one would love to see penalities issued for this. FWIW  A dropped water bottle is different than a tossed water bottle. I've hit bumps hard enough to throw my water bottle out of it's rack. Turning around to go get it creates a hazard.

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

The blatant disregard displayed by those that dispose of thier gu paks and water bottles on the course burns my ass.

Being an advid outdoorsman.........I follow the rule.....Pack it in, Pack it out. There is no excuse for the hudreds of Gel Paks littering the highway after a sprint Tri......or even an olympic for that matter. For most the course isn't long enough that your normal energy reserves are anywhere close to depletion.

Almost every Tri begins with a littering talk........I for one would love to see penalities issued for this. FWIW  A dropped water bottle is different than a tossed water bottle. I've hit bumps hard enough to throw my water bottle out of it's rack. Turning around to go get it creates a hazard.

Totally agree, I don't think that most people are tossing thier water bottles, but mainly they are getting ejected on bumps.  All the other trash should not be a 2 min penalty it should be a DQ.  I mean how hard is it to put your empty wrapper in you back jersey pocket

MTA I do disagree about the need for nutrition on an oly course, just did on on Saturday (and a sprint on Sunday) and the oly course took me 2:43:00 so approaching a three hour event on a very hilly venue, yeah I needed some nutrition to make it on the run.  I probably didn't eat enough because I blew up a bit on the second loop of the 10K.

Swim 2.4 miles.
                            Ride 112 miles.
                            Run 26.2 miles.