Swim Bike Run

USAT membership...worth it? (Read 269 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So next year I am contemplating doing 4-5 duathlons.  I think all are USAT events.  Each race has that pesky 1 day license fee, which I seem to recall is $10.  If I did 4 races the $39 membership would pay for itself.  I see that it also yields discounts on gear, but the brief list of brands/companies wasn't stuff that would benefit me, anyhow (no way am I shelling out the dough for a pair of Rudy Project shades).  Does anyone have a complete list of companies included in the discounts?  Does membership ever yield anyone discounts on race registration fees?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

So next year I am contemplating doing 4-5 duathlons.  I think all are USAT events.  Each race has that pesky 1 day license fee, which I seem to recall is $10.  If I did 4 races the $39 membership would pay for itself.  I see that it also yields discounts on gear, but the brief list of brands/companies wasn't stuff that would benefit me, anyhow (no way am I shelling out the dough for a pair of Rudy Project shades).  Does anyone have a complete list of companies included in the discounts?  Does membership ever yield anyone discounts on race registration fees?

I used to keep a membership but I didn't renew mine this year. Beside not having to pay the single day fee you also get a magizine subscription and it's a cheap insurance policy.....You know....just in case you do an endo and break a collar bone or sumtin.

Oh...you get a sticker too.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was under the impression that it's just worth it if you do so many in a year that it pays for the discounts. Plus, there's the sticker...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Your math is spot on.  Even if you did 4 it would pay for itself.  It makes registration and packet pick-up a little easier (one less line to stand in).  I race enough to make it worth it.  USAT also ranks it members, which is fun smack talking with friends and the wife. 

I have never availed myself of any discounts.   

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm still amazed at how $$ even sprint events are, though I completely understand why.  Still, the cheapest ones around here are $70, including that 1-day license.  And the prices always go up as it gets closer to race day.  A lot of them hit $100...for a race that takes 2 hours or less.  Wowsers.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

poutericky

Races cost what they do because they are a liability nightmare.

USAT is great if you race at least 4 times. THey also have a group insurance discount with Liberty Mutual, which saves me $200 / yr. So yeah... worth it for me (i also do 6-10 races per year...)

Webike.us - I'm not just a runner.

Was wondering this same question. This past year did 4 tri's and was not a member and next year plan to do 6-7 so probably sign up as well. More money spent. Gotta love it.

I got a free dvd when I signed up several years ago-about open water swimming-though they had other non-swim dvds available. I found it to be pretty helpful. I'm not sure if they do that any more, though.