Swim Bike Run

*hurl* (Read 529 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just registered for my first duathlon.  That is almost as scary as my first marathon. 

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I just registered for my first duathlon.  That is almost as scary as my first marathon. 

I feel where you're coming from, I've yet to make the plunge but will soon have to cause I'm stingy with my money and its cheaper when you register early.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I feel where you're coming from, I've yet to make the plunge but will soon have to cause I'm stingy with my money and its cheaper when you register early.

Yeah, I'm only going to do one this year...too many other expenses and I don't want to register for #2 this far out, in case I hate it.  By the time I could register it will be $$ one fees are figured-in.

~ Sarah Kay

The voice of mile 18

congrats zoomie! just wait till you throw the possibility of drowning into the mix EEEK!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

congrats zoomie! just wait till you throw the possibility of drowning into the mix EEEK!

Na...I have 0 interest in swimming.

~ Sarah Kay

Gotta TRI

Aww the swim isn't as bad as sounds. Everyone hates it at first. Personally I've found it to be my better leg of the tri's.
              2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

The voice of mile 18

famous last words.  and who has an interest in swimming it's like a dreadmill with no music or tv only a long black line

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a feeling I would absolutely suck at the swim...I have teeny, sloped shoulders.  I can't even carry a shoulderbag and my bike handlebars are pretty much the smallest width available.  I don't think we can even add tri-bars.

Plus I have no access to a pool (nearest one is 30 minutes away and $$ YMCA membership), so training would be 3 months of Lake MI...brrr...

~ Sarah Kay

I have a feeling I would absolutely suck at the swim...I have teeny, sloped shoulders.  I can't even carry a shoulderbag and my bike handlebars are pretty much the smallest width available.  I don't think we can even add tri-bars.

Plus I have no access to a pool (nearest one is 30 minutes away and $$ YMCA membership), so training would be 3 months of Lake MI...brrr...

I decided to start hitting the pool. I joined the local YMCA on Jan 15th and have swam 8 times and 2.16 miles since then. I'm getting better, but not much. Once I get the breathing figured out I'll be okay, but right now there is NO WAY I'd set out for a 1/2 mile open water swim in a triathlon. If it wasn't for a wall every 25 yards, I'd drowned.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Bugs

Too bad you're not closer, I want to do the swim and the run not the bike.

Bugs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Too bad you're not closer, I want to do the swim and the run not the bike.

Ha!  Is there such a thing as a tri relay?  I've always thought that sounded fun.  Get 3 people together with different strengths and race as a team.

~ Sarah Kay

The voice of mile 18

sure lots of races have relays but not WTC events they don't like that.but know some iron distance races have relays like silverman or chesapeakeman

Gotta TRI

Relays are an awesome intro to tri's. I've been involved with a few here. It's great to get some friends together and each run to your strengths. We had a team that had one player that was whellchair bound but a strong swimmer. They allowed for him to be carried from the swim exit to transition so the next team mate could depart for the bike leg. It was really cool to watch. I think the relays are most comon in the sprint distances.
                            2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                            GP160

Good luck! Glad to see your trying something new! Smile
                              Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
                              Muebele

Good luck, Du's are a lot more fun without the nerves of the swim for most people

I also fear the swim... but once you get through that, it's smooth sailing.  I did my second Du two weeks ago, and I really need to work on my bike leg. 

Wait a second, I'm weak on the swim and the bike???? Why am I doing these multi-sport events anyway???