UK Ultra Runners

Hell on the Humber (Read 928 times)

Bring it on....................................

All the bits of an ultra I like

1. Laps
    2. Night running
    3. Not mainstream

What can be better 12 hours of night running backwards and forwards across the Humber Bridge, anybody going to join me?

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

Timing is dreadful - just a few days before I leave for Colorado - probably not the best idea. Shame - it would have been right up my street.

I just happened upon it when Pam Storey mentioned she had entered it.

I have researched about the bridge and it appears that we will be running along the pedestrian path (obviously) which is lower than the roadway, in fact it looks like the road is just about above head height so it will be a bit unnerving with cars and lorries whizzing past at 40-50 mph.

What will be the killer is the camber of the bridge (I don't know if that is the technical term) as it will be more like a fartlek as we go over the centre section, up,down,up, down.

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

The incline / decline was the first thing that I thought of too. (I think the camber is the slope from left to right, or vice versa, on a road).

The incline / decline was the first thing that I thought of too. (I think the camber is the slope from left to right, or vice versa, on a road).

I thought it better than the uppydownyness of the bridge Big grin

I have been sad enough to try and find the rise of the expanse but can only find general tourist information but have looked at images and this is going to be a major aspect as to how I approach this run....I certainly won't be carrying a 25Ib packShocked

Jerry

Bring it on....................................

All the bits of an ultra I like

1. Laps
              2. Night running
              3. Not mainstream

What can be better 12 hours of night running backwards and forwards across the Humber Bridge, anybody going to join me?

I am not particularly keen on points 1 and 2, but might still consider doing it if other events haven't caught my eye.

Jerry - Does Mrs S know you have entered? I would have thought GUCR would be your last ok'd event for the next 2 years Smile

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

I am not particularly keen on points 1 and 2, but might still consider doing it if other events haven't caught my eye.

Jerry - Does Mrs S know you have entered? I would have thought GUCR would be your last ok'd event for the next 2 years Smile

I have just told her and she didn't even bat an eyelid....if I know her as well as I do, it will be filed away and brought up at a suitable time!

Jerry

Had a chance to speak to a guy from my Club last night who lives just down the road from the bridge and I now understand why they are calling it the Hell on the Humber, apparently South to North is almost one incline and sounds horrendous, somehow I cannt see 100 km + coming out of this!!!!

Jerry

Jerry, that must mean that North to South is downhill, so you can make the time up lost on the uphill section Big grin 

100km+ in 12hrs, I suppose all depends on how steep the hill is, what the winds are like on the day (can

be somewhat windy up there so I am led to believe) and what condition you are in and how hard you want to

push it within the 12hrs. Post GUCR this will feel like a walk in the park.......

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

OMG it is just going to be one big fartlek run which in a way is a good thing!

Jerry

I have officially pulled out of this race...see here for details

Jerry

Oh dear. I completely understand though.

At least it gives you motivation for Autumn ahead :-)

Oh dear. I completely understand though.

At least it gives you motivation for Autumn ahead :-)

I have a cunning plan and it has been agreed by the Delightful Mrs S so in the process of just fine tuning my training Wink

News to come

Jerry

I have a cunning plan and it has been agreed by the Delightful Mrs S so in the process of just fine tuning my training Wink

News to come

Sounds good. I need to get my ass in gear as well. Only got a trail mara end of Oct.