UK Ultra Runners

NDW50 (Read 681 times)

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

Both Immune and myself are in for this. Farnham to Knockholt. Had I had been in greater fitness I would have attempted the 100. However, this will have to wait until next year.

The course takes in Box Hill and Reigate Hill on the west side (although I have heard about diversions in the afternoon owing to an Olympic cycling event) and then joins the Pilgrims way to Knockholt. I have run along much of this in various runs, including the Green Belt Relay sections from Merstham to Tatsfield, and Tatsfield towards Lullingstone which is not too far from the finish. The Founders challenge also covers some of this territory.

Jezza, I think that it would be good to see you if you are around that weekend, as I guess you could run down to the finish as it is not far from your manor, although convincing Mrs S that you are not ACTUALLY running the event will be a tough one!

training is going OK but I feel a bit deflated after 2 30+ milers in 2 weekends

http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/

Have fun on this one gents. It certainly looks like a great race.

I would love to have been at this one especially as I made decision to pull out of Adidas 24hr race after 50 miles due to asthma related issues but couldn't make it anyway due to a friends wedding, poxy things :-)

Both Immune and myself are in for this. Farnham to Knockholt. Had I had been in greater fitness I would have attempted the 100. However, this will have to wait until next year.

The course takes in Box Hill and Reigate Hill on the west side (although I have heard about diversions in the afternoon owing to an Olympic cycling event) and then joins the Pilgrims way to Knockholt. I have run along much of this in various runs, including the Green Belt Relay sections from Merstham to Tatsfield, and Tatsfield towards Lullingstone which is not too far from the finish. The Founders challenge also covers some of this territory.

Jezza, I think that it would be good to see you if you are around that weekend, as I guess you could run down to the finish as it is not far from your manor, although convincing Mrs S that you are not ACTUALLY running the event will be a tough one!

training is going OK but I feel a bit deflated after 2 30+ milers in 2 weekends

Rob, I will ceratinly be running down there at the weekend as I want to do some more exploration around Knockholt, I cannot hang around all day but if you give me an ETA I will do my best

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

Hi Jezza

My best guess for ETA's based on 06:00am start to the race

2:30pm - Dream Target - If absolutely everything goes right and with the wind behind the whole way

3:00pm - If absolutley everything goes right

3:30pm - Possibly more realistic time

4:00pm - Rob's initial thought on his finish time (I expect him to do it quicker)

Certainly no need to be at the finish before 2:30pm, but as we are carrying phones, we could call you en-route
          to let you know how we are doing and what we think our ETA might be based on how we are feeling, distance to

go etc.

Hopefully Rob and I feel good on the day and we have a really good run. And I hope it cools down a bit for next

weekend, running 50miles in 25'c+ temperatures would not be easy.

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

Just re-read the NDW50 race pack info. As far as I can see it does NOT mention drop bags for the 50miler (unless this info is

somewhere else). The 100miler does have drop bags, so I am assuming we will need to carry all of the food stuffs we want,

and checkpoints will cover the basics.
            Also noticed we need to carry: Headtorch, back up light source, space balnket, mobile phone, bottle/bladder
            No issue with the last 3 items, but the others are a bit OTT in my opinion, fair enough for the 100miler, but a 50

that starts @ 6:00am in the summer time??

Sounds like I am ranting, which I am not (honest Smile) just wont be able to travel as light as I had hoped. Anyway, will be backpack rather
            than waist pack for me then.

PB's

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

I've had to withdraw from this one owing to work and illness (no doubt one precipitated the other)

full story http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/

It leaves me feeling somewhat deflated but I needed the rest. Not around for a week or two. How about a cheeky LDWA event on sunday 4th september?

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_events/show_event.php?event_id=8923

south bucks way, chess valley, grand union canal.........remember that last Jan chaps? It's only an hour on train /tube from S London.

http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/

I've had to withdraw from this one owing to work and illness (no doubt one precipitated the other)

full story http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/

It leaves me feeling somewhat deflated but I needed the rest. Not around for a week or two. How about a cheeky LDWA event on sunday 4th september?

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_events/show_event.php?event_id=8923

south bucks way, chess valley, grand union canal.........remember that last Jan chaps? It's only an hour on train /tube from S London.

Sorry to hear you are unwell it is just not worth running if you are under the weather.

The Chiltern Challenge looks pretty good although it does say no runners I am sure we can do the distance unsupported with a backpack full of sweets and pop. Let me check out with the delightful Mrs S and confirm over the next couple of days.

Jerry

Rob, Sorry to hear about you pulling out. It makes sense though considering the load on your mind/body. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

David, I looked you up on the NDW50 live results feed and saw you finished around the 10hr mark. Hope it went well for you out there today. I bet it was a challenging course!

David, you finished at the almost perfect "Jezza Pace" of 5 min/miles Big grin

I was out on the Knockholt section this morning and tripping over all the signs and hazard tape so at leat it was nicely marked for you. Sorry I couldn't come out to cheer you on but I was under orders by fear of emasculation if I didn't stay at home to finish off the digging!

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

David, you finished at the almost perfect "Jezza Pace" of 5 min/miles

Ooopps....where did that come from......5 mph, it should read:

David, you finished at the almost slow perfect "Jezza Pace" of 5 mph Big grin

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

Wink

Hi All - Mini Race Report

Yes, 10hrs for me. Ran the whole way with a Serpentine runner called Gemma (friend of Claire Shelley's, and was 1st Woman at the

Fairlands Valley 50k!!). We got chatting from the start and by the time we reached the 1st CP at 6.6miles (including going the wrong

way with about 20others for 1/4m) I had decided to run the rest of the race with Gemma as it was her first 50miler and she was really

good company (v, v chatty).

The NDW is very different from the SDW in that it is much more wooded, with very steep climbs and lots of fairly narrow sections, and

is a bit difficult to follow in places not to mention up and down a lot of steps, and not just the ones at Box Hill.
                            I felt very strong all the way, and even had enough energy to be pushing Gemma up the really long climbs as my walkiing pace and hers

were different (she's a lot smaller, think smaller than Claire Shelley). She also had a little wobble at one point, but to be fair was nursing

an ITB issue and ran really strongly in the last 10miles, so top effort from her, she even put in a sprint at the finish to try and beat me, cheeky

monkey.

Good day out, the 100milers had to turn round at our finish point, none of them looked overly happy, but seeing others finished and having

beers etc must have been pretty tough. We ran with Robbie (100mile winner) for a fair bit, who had also won TR24 in the mixed pairs I think

he said, he looked really fresh on the retun leg and finished mega strongly over the last 10miles or so to take the win from Neil Bryant.

I think I could probably have gone around in 8:30 to 8:45 based on how I felt on Saturday, but to be honest had a great run with good

company and thoroughly enjoyed myself, so the "lets go for a time" race will have to be another time.

Bacchus Marathon on 11th Sept is on my radar. It is 2 laps around Denbies Vineyard in Dorking, they like you to wear fancy dress, so could

be a good laugh, anyone else up for it, although realise it is the week before Rob's LDWA event already mentioned.

PB's

Gemma is lovely, after dropping out of the GUCR I teamed up with her and friends to support Claire Shelley, you did well to have her as company.

Definitely a tough old path the NDW and I am glad you ran it for the fun and not to race it as it can be a little cheeky especially through the woods where is very trippy.

I am just off to get a printer cartridge so I can print off my application for the Surrey Tops on 17/9/2011 so if you don't want to do the marathon the week beforehand we could buddy up and do the 50 miles as I don't fancy doing the evening/night section by myself or with a person I don't know

Jerry

Hi Jezza

Surrey Tops would be great, unfortunately I am pacing a colleague at 3:30pace at the New Forest Mara on the 25th Sept.

I know I am in quite good shape at the mo, but don't want to muck up on the pacing as my colleague really want's a sub

3:30 and has been training hard. I think 50miler the week before might be pushing my luck, as 3:30 is still pretty quick

for me.  On the plus side, Gemma (who I ran with) mentioned she is doing the Surrey Tops, so you could have a running

buddy who talks even more than you do Big grin.

PB's