UK Ultra Runners

4hr Pace Leader for the Brighton Marathon (Read 558 times)

Hi All

I am really chuffed, I have been selected to be the 4hr Pace Leader for the Clif Bar Pace Team at this years Brighton Marathon.

I know it is a week before i attempt to run the VLM 4 x in 24hrs, but i felt it too good an opportunity to miss, and am really looking

forward to helping a few people get under the 4hr mark (3:59.??) if possible. Just need to practice running at over 9minute mile

pace, which i will do on my 28-30miler this Saturday.

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

I am glad you decided to do this, I hope you got my belated text to you about it.

I personally think it will do you good to have this as your practice  for you 4 in 24 hour event as it will teach you to drop the pace down to a nice consistent plod.

I have learnt from when I am a Pace Bunny that you must keep the pace consistent throughout as people see you as their Datum point, the pace should be solid and consistent throughout even on the hills/inclines both up and down.

It will also allow you to completely de-carb and then start a very short taper maybe doing a slow 5-10km on the Wednesday to remind the legs they need to burn glycogen as well as store it.

I will be interested to see how you listen to your body when it comes to pace, I have a habit of monitoring it for about 2-3 miles on the garmin and then get to feel my pose, foot fall and stride pattern, this is how I managed Thames Trot where I paced at 10km per hour pace almost throughout until I whizzed of in the last 10-12 miles.

Good Call David

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Nice work David. Celebrity runner now Big grin

Richard D

Hi, Mr I.

That's funny. I ran a marathon with 12 other people about three weeks ago around the streets of Twickenham and Teddington as an experiment for a lecturer at St Mary's College in Twick (something to do with measurement of recovery with the aid of compression gear), and I was chatting afterwards to a Scottish (or Irish fellow - can't remember which asccent it was), who said that he was a Cliff Bar pacer at Brighton for the sub 4 hour group. (wasn't you by any chance was it?)

If, so see you there next week as I'm chasing a sub 4hr too.

No, that wasn't me I am afraid.

If you are at the Expo between 4+6pm I will be on the CLIF Bar stand. Otherwise come and say hi on race morning,

be nice to meet a forumite and put a face to a name so to speak. I hope your training has gone well, and are enjoying

your taper. 

I will be practising 9min miles at the weekend on the last 6 or so miles of Saturday's 18-20miles, really wan't to do a

good job for everyone as pacer (no pressure!!!!).

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

Talking of meeting up again....Has your logistics manager for VLM, ultrabobban, sorted out the finer details of you 4 xVLM run yet and do you still want me to do the night shift with you?

Jerry
              A runners blog-updated daily

Richard D

Oops, sorry. But now I come to think of it, this fellow said that he is the sub 3 hr pacer there, and it is his g/f who is the sub 4hr pacer.

Anyhow, I shall look you up on either the Saturday or the Sunday and good luck with the pacing.

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

Talking of meeting up again....Has your logistics manager for VLM, ultrabobban, sorted out the finer details of you 4 xVLM run yet and do you still want me to do the night shift with you?

Firstly I have a worryingly odd impression of you on the CLIF bar stand in a boob tube and hotpants throwing Clifbars out into the crowd!

Now that is out of my head, can we talk logistics. Perhaps you might want to switch to email or phone over the latter part of the weekend. As your chief crew operation manager I insist we plan the route as from about 2am, roads will be closed and having lived on the route for a few years, acutely aware that cars have limited access to parts of the route, through road closures, not just to the route but access points like bridges and tunnels being shut too. I'd suggest biking the route and plotting 24 hour garages and shops just to get an idea of fuel and water stops in emergencies. This in particular for the docklands section. You've trained hard for this as is evidenced by the amazing runs posted on your blog but fuel strategies will be essential to the success of your farthest run yet!

http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/