Windy City Runners

Weeklies Jan 7th- 13th (Read 244 times)

Duke of the Internet

Well January 7th tomorrow.  The sunset is setting at little later.  We are a 1/4 of the way through January and that much closer to spring.  Once we hit March 1st, I always feel like we have weathered the storm (so to speak) and can make it to spring.  The forecast looks great for this week.  Get outside and run!!

Mon Jan 7

Sunny

37°

27°

Sunny

Tue Jan 8

Mostly Sunny

39°

32°

Mostly Sunny

Wed Jan 9

Mostly Sunny

44°

33°

Mostly Sunny

Thu Jan 10

Few Showers

43°

41°

Few Showers

Fri Jan 11

Few Showers

51°

45°

Few Showers

Sat Jan 12

Cloudy

51°

26°

Cloudy

Sun Jan 13

Rain / Snow Showers

39°

25°

Rain / Snow Showers

TennisKid1192

Kevin

Turning 21 on Friday =]. Here's to a good year of running!

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

Duke of the Internet

Turning 21 on Friday =]. Here's to a good year of running!

21 years old.  Ahhh memories.   Hope you have a good one.

Happy Birthday Kevin!

This weather has me considering changing my race on Saturday.  I'm scheduled for the Polar Dash 10k but am thinking of going to the half marathon instead.  Only problem is that I'm not really trained for it!  My longest run in the last month has been 10 miles.  I ran 9 miles yesterday and will probably ease back a bit on the mileage this week (last week was 33) ahead of the race.

Duke of the Internet

Happy Birthday Kevin!

This weather has me considering changing my race on Saturday.  I'm scheduled for the Polar Dash 10k but am thinking of going to the half marathon instead.  Only problem is that I'm not really trained for it!  My longest run in the last month has been 10 miles.  I ran 9 miles yesterday and will probably ease back a bit on the mileage this week (last week was 33) ahead of the race.

Where is your race Meg?  I didn't know there was a half marathon this weekend?  I know F^3 is the following weekend.

Edit:  I see it now.  I had never heard of it before now.  Here is a link for others.

http://www.chicagopolardash.org/half-marathon-a-10k.html

Trail Dog

Wow, a fleece and a stained glass medal? Much better than the cowbell the F3 is giving out...

Seems like a great weekend for a half marathon, so Meg I say go for it! I would do the same except I have a race this Sunday.

I really, really wanted to do the F^3 half this year, but will be out of town, so scheduled the Polar Dash instead.  I think this is only the 2nd year for this race - the course is pretty unoriginal (half the races in Chicago seem to do the same route on the lakefront), but it's nice to have race options in January.

Duke of the Internet

I really, really wanted to do the F^3 half this year, but will be out of town, so scheduled the Polar Dash instead.  I think this is only the 2nd year for this race - the course is pretty unoriginal (half the races in Chicago seem to do the same route on the lakefront), but it's nice to have race options in January.

It appears the price difference to change is only $15.  I say do it as well.  I hear it might be 50 Saturday.  I actually like this course this time of the year.  In the summer, it would be a nightmare.  My biggest issue with this race is packet pickup.  No race day but at least there is one on clark street on Wednesday night, so that wouldn't be bad for me.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

I sat out the Polar Dash this year, after they moved last year's race back due to 'inclimate weather' that was never forecast and (predictably) never came and a pretty 'meh' overall experience with the rescheduled race. Hopefully they get it together this year (the weather appears to be cooperating) and have a successful race- please post an RR and let us know how it goes!

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Duke of the Internet

I sat out the Polar Dash this year, after they moved last year's race back due to 'inclimate weather' that was never forecast and (predictably) never came and a pretty 'meh' overall experience with the rescheduled race. Hopefully they get it together this year (the weather appears to be cooperating) and have a successful race- please post an RR and let us know how it goes!

I forgot all about that happening to you last year.  That totally sucked.  I couldn't believe it at the time.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

I forgot all about that happening to you last year.  That totally sucked.  I couldn't believe it at the time.

There were numerous posts on their FB page claiming that they actually didn't get the necessary permits to put a race on and needed to postpone in order to got those ducks in a row, but I just chalked it up to the traditional 'inaugural event' screwups. If they get their act together this year, I'd definitely be open to running it again- it's nice to have January race options in the city!

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

If I'm reading it correctly, the Polar Dash offers race day packet pickup... for $30... if you tell them by today.  Nice.  The 5k looks the same as the one I ran on New Year's Day.  As always, with all races on the lakefront path; wind is typically a significant factor.

Anyway, I chose the TM.  Big mistake.  1 hour seemed to take forever and I was overheated after 15 mins.  It's going to be a long winter if I have to do that more that more than a few times.  I'd much rather run on the 200m indoor track but need to justify the gym membership.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Duke of the Internet

If I'm reading it correctly, the Polar Dash offers race day packet pickup... for $30... if you tell them by today.  Nice.  The 5k looks the same as the one I ran on New Year's Day.  As always, with all races on the lakefront path; wind is typically a significant factor.

Anyway, I chose the TM.  Big mistake.  1 hour seemed to take forever and I was overheated after 15 mins.  It's going to be a long winter if I have to do that more that more than a few times.  I'd much rather run on the 200m indoor track but need to justify the gym membership.

Do you have anything coming up in the spring?  You could just slack off till say April.

When do the beach runs start?  I need to hook up with you high fliers.  I'm doing my long run Saturday this week as I'm volunteering Sunday.  Saturday has shorts written all over it!

This is the second time I've seen that extra charge for race day packet pickup - seems like a total racket.  This is also the second race I've signed up for despite significant bad press (I also ran the Hot Chocolate 15k in November - all I can say is never again).  I'm hoping the actual race day experience is good - I'll report back!

Trail Dog

Yes Meg, please report back about Polar Dash. I ran Navy Pier 10 miler this year, and won't do that one again.

I was also on the treadmill, but only 5 miles easy. I've been sick since after my Saturday race, so decided to stay inside in case I keeled over.

Sharz, thanks for the review about the Columbia base layer! I wore my CWX insulated tights at the Saturday race, and they kept my legs pretty warm.