Windy City Runners

Weeklies Jan 7th- 13th (Read 244 times)

Duke of the Internet

BuckeyeNurse-It depends.  The south DPRT gets very muddy.  The section from Oakton to Lawerence isn't too bad.  The section from Lawerence to North can be horrible.  The north section of the DPRT isn't bad at all.  I agree with Roxie's comments.

I'm thinking that there is a real chance the North Branch Trail may have gotten cleared from that storm last night.  We got a ton of rain.  If anyone runs out there today, please report back.  It will certainly be sloppy even if it's clear.  Bring extra socks.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

BuckeyeNurse-It depends.  The south DPRT gets very muddy.  The section from Oakton to Lawerence isn't too bad.  The section from Lawerence to North can be horrible.  The north section of the DPRT isn't bad at all.  I agree with Roxie's comments.

I'm thinking that there is a real chance the North Branch Trail may have gotten cleared from that storm last night.  We got a ton of rain.  If anyone runs out there today, please report back.  It will certainly be sloppy even if it's clear.  Bring extra socks.

We took a short run between Golf and OO Rd.  Just a few patches  of snow left, but easy to get around them.

TennisKid1192

Kevin

5 Mile birthday run giving me the 15 miles for the week which is my all-time high =]

Have an awesome day/weekend everyone!

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

Trail Dog

Happy Birthday Tenniskid!!!!!

Sharz96

Happy Birthday, tenniskid! And congrats on the new weekly high.  Always fun to get into new territory, whether it's for a single run, a week, or a month.

I'm going for a weekly high this week, too.  Sunday afternoon is supposed to be colder, but nicer--sunny.  I'll do my long run on the DPRT, but a lot farther north than what you folks are discussing.  I'll be doing an 8+ mile stretch beginning where I left off a couple weeks ago, north of Grand Avenue, and running south to Buckley Avenue.  My trail shoes  came (I decided on Adrenaline GTX), so if it's wet and muddy, they'll be put to good use.

anneb

Happy Birthday Tenniskid! Wow, 21. That does seem like a long time ago! I can't remember much of mine (going to blame old age, but I don't think that's really why), but I'm sure it was a fun one - summer in between jr. and sr. year in Madison, WI.

Anne

Duke of the Internet

Happy Birthday Tenniskid!  Yes, you are young one of the crowd.  Make us old people proud and go out this weekend.  Cool

BuckeyeNurse

Happy Birthday, Kevin!

Thanks for all the input on the DPRT!  Good to know.  I might just have to dig out some older shoes and give it a try.  I usually run from Devon north, but I'm looking forward to trying some of the more northern sections this year.  I did try one more northern sections this fall, but I didn't know it was the section where you have to run behind the Cubby Bear, down the road, through the development, etc. etc., and that wasn't so awesome.  I'm assuming once I get past that it gets better again, though.

Just did 10 miles on the NBT- Touhy to Golf is completely clear, as is the rest of the path, I'm sure, after today's weather.  Nice to wear shorts again Smile.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good job on the 15 Kevin and Happy Birthday.  Do you run at ARC?  Awesome facility.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

9.3 on NBT Golf to Winnetka Rd.  Temperature dropping fast, but it was a nice run anyway.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

9.3 on NBT Golf to Winnetka Rd.  Temperature dropping fast, but it was a nice run anyway.

Dropping like a stone!  I got in 17.5 on the North Branch late this morning.  Home to Harms then run north around Skokie Lagoons and back.  52F when I left and 42F went I got back.  Nasty windy around the lagoons.

Too bad we're getting snow as the path is nice and clear.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Happy Belated Birthday Tennis Kid!

I ran the Polar Dash 10k this morning - decided to stick with my 10k instead of the half on the advice of my physical therapist.  The race seemed to go off without a hitch - nice course, beautiful weather, no hiccups in packet pickup or race day that I could see.  I missed my PR by two seconds!  I was a little irked that the last tenth of a mile or so was all uphill...

Some of these posts are making me want to try out the trails up north.  Sounds like you all have lots of good options!

Good luck with your race tomorrow RoxieRuns!

Duke of the Internet

RA-I totally saw you out there today.

Jerry-Not sure if I saw you or not.  I ran from Dempster North, around the lagoons and back to Dempster.  It was 20 miles around trip.  I started at 11:30am.  I was wearing a red jacket, black pants and a blue cotton hat.  One of these days I'm going to run into to you by accident.

Meg-Congrats on the race.  2 seconds off a PR is awesome!  Half marathon next time.

BuckeyeNurse-The entire path is 100% clear.  Unfortunately, we may get snow tonight.  Let's hope it misses us.

anneb-Are you a badger too?  AWESOME!!  I still try to go to at least one football game a year.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We're usually the only couple running together.  We might have finished at Golf about 1130.

Sharz96

10 miles, Des Plaines River Trail, heading south from about .5 miles north of Grand Ave down to Buckley Ave, then back up to the car parked in Independence Grove Forest Preserve. (Hubby dropped me off up at Grand.)  That made 25.2 miles for me, new weekly PR.

Hardest long run I have ever done. After about the first mile, mile and a half, it was a sheet of ice under a dusting of snow, and it kept getting worse and worse the farther south I got.  I had to completely change stride, length, speed, all of it and I exhausted my legs trying to control the sliding.  By about the last three miles or so, I couldn't run fast enough to keep warm. I haven't seen paces that slow or HRs that low on my HRM since I was doing walk portions of run-walk in C25K. I did drop to a walk at a few points where it was just too slippery, such as up a hill or on an over or underpass, but I was running for virtually all of it.  Just so slowly I'm ashamed to call it running!  Everything hurts and I'm wondering if I'll be able to walk tomorrow.

Hot shower and crock pot dinner later, I'm still not quite warmd.  Let me tell you, though, dinner ready and waiting for you in the crock pot is DEFINITELY the way to do winter long runs.