Windy City Runners

Wisconsin Marathon and Half Marathon (Read 22 times)

Kalsarikännit

I got to meet Anneb this morning!  Very nice. Right now UncleCranky and I are sitting in between the stage and beer garden, in case anyone is still around.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

BuckeyeNurse

Sorry I did not stick around to meet anyone! I was feeling pretty awful afterwards and just wanted to get out of there. Roxie and Badger, I think I saw you on a few of the out and back sections! You were looking strong and definitely ahead of 4 hour pace.

How did everyone do?!

anneb

Yeah, I happened to see wrigley as we were walking up to the park this morning- she's right, she is easy to recognize. Smile Buckeye, I saw you on the course sometime in the first mile! Lime hat and Columbus shirt, but I didn't realize it until you were in front of me, and it looked like you were trying to get out of the early crowding.

I had a decent race and ran about 1 minute slower than my half PR- it felt harder today though. It got warmer than I thought it would, too. I stayed to watch the winner of the marathon come through (2:46) and left shortly after that. Hope everyone else had a good race!

Anne

Trail Dog

I wish I had thought to check the forum - Badger and I sat in the beer garden for quite some time after the race, then hobbled off. I wasn't thinking too clearly after the race. That was harder than any ultra I have ever run, and I hope to not repeat the feeling of that last 10k for quite some time. Fing sucked! But Badger kept me moving along to the finish.

I got to meet Anneb this morning!  Very nice. Right now UncleCranky and I are sitting in between the stage and beer garden, in case anyone is still around.

Trail Dog

I totally saw you! At the farthest point on the south end of the course, you were heading inbound from the turnaround and we were still outbound. I looked up and it registered in my brain just an instant too late to shout out 'Buckeyegirl!'. It was your hat and shoes that I recognized.

I looked for WrigleyGirl on course near the turnaround for the first half. No dice! Also looked for Anne at the start but did not spot her.

Indeed, Badger is a great pacer. I finished in 3:58:32. Ecstatic to break 4 hours in my very first road marathon. I was on auto pilot and feeling pretty awesome the first 16 miles (my half split was around 1:56:30), started getting tired around mile 17 but still motoring along, and by mile 20 I was VERY happy to have Badger helping me along. I slowed down considerably the last 10k and was even calculating in my head how slow I could run those final few miles and still squeak a sub-4. But he moved out in front of me just enough that I had no option but to follow or lose him. And at some point I got my senses back and decided I would not be happy with myself if I didn't get the best time possible (vs. just settling for that 3:59:59).

For the record, anybody that can race a marathon can run an ultra. Ultras are way easier. Today was hard, but very rewarding. Hard to believe that exactly one year ago this weekend, my huge road racing goal was to break 2 hours in the half marathon (which I did with 1 second to spare). Now I can break 2 hours in training runs and in a marathon. I think that is pretty awesome. Smile

Sorry I did not stick around to meet anyone! I was feeling pretty awful afterwards and just wanted to get out of there. Roxie and Badger, I think I saw you on a few of the out and back sections! You were looking strong and definitely ahead of 4 hour pace.

How did everyone do?!

anneb

Great job Amanda!

Anne

Duke of the Internet

Congrats anne!-Every race can't be a PR.  Sorry we missed you.

BuckeyeNurse-Hope did your race turnout?  You definitely beat us.

Wrigley-We were totally looking for you.  I can't believe we missed you.  We stayed around for at least an hour or more after the race talking to various running friends.  The only person I saw in the infield was a random woman dancing by herself to the music.  She was really into it.  Clearly, not a racer.  Way too much energy.

Amanda kicked butt yesterday.  I got to come along for the ride.  Fun and interesting to just focus on hitting her splits and watching the other competitors.

BuckeyeNurse

Congratulations, anne and Amanda, and job well done, pacer badger!  I think pacing would be an interesting experience.

My race went well!  My goal was 3:50 and I ran a 3:50:05.  I'm just a little annoyed about those 5 extra seconds, but I'll take it as it qualifies me for Corral C now at Chicago, and is a 7 minute PR.  I ran the second half of the first half too fast and faded some towards the end, but nothing crazy.  My downfall was that I choked on a gel at mile 17 and had a coughing fit, and from then on had nasty stomach cramps and side stitches so wasn't able to really drink anything besides a sip or two of water.  My legs felt really great the whole time though, and aren't too sore today, so I'm hopeful that a fall BQ attempt might not be a totally ridiculous idea.  I finished with a very upset stomach, completely white/numb hands, and a bleeding ankle (???), so I got out of there pretty quickly.  Well, as quickly as I could walk to my car, which was not quickly at all. Smile

What did you all think of the race itself and the course?  I loved the scenery, especially along the lake in the first half!  Gorgeous.  The first half went by so quickly for me.  I was expecting the second half to feel more lonely but it wasn't too bad.  I didn't love the gravel roads or the wind, but overall I liked it!  The absolutely perfect weather helped too.

Amanda, I thought it seemed like you had a flash of recognition at mile 18-19 when I saw you all!  That was a really rough mile for me- it felt like the wind was awful for some reason on that stretch after the turnaround.  Your bright pink shoes do stand out.  Smile  I don't think I agree with you on being able to run an ultra- at the end of a marathon I am always REALLY glad I can stop running.  Another hour plus of running does not sound easy to tack on!  I'm impressed with your ability to hang on to pace in your first road marathon!  I like badger's strategy of edging out ahead...very smart!  You're going for a fall BQ, right?  What race are you targeting for it?

Anne, sorry I missed you!  I was a little anxious at the beginning and in the first mile because I was still in the bathroom line at 6:57 and getting stressed!  I agree with you- it did get warm quickly!  Nice race.  Where did you set your PR?

Trail Dog

Anne, sorry you missed your PR. Do you have another race planned?  It did get warm quickly, and I was very happy with my clothing choice. It was amazing to see how overdressed some people were, even in the marathon.

Buckeyegirl, when I saw you, you looked very focused and were running strong. Based on your position on the course I knew you were going to be very close to your goal - you had a great race! I'm not running Chicago but out of curiosity checked the corral times -- I qualified for D based both on Cary half marathon and WI marathon. When I registered for Chicago last year (did not run due to a last minute injury) I was nowhere close to hitting any of the corral qualifying times (although it appears they have a new corral E this year, which I would have qualified for last year).

I also had some stomach/cramping issues, which led to hydration issues. I don't take many gels during training runs, and yesterday decided to take them more frequently to prevent fatigue in that final 10k. Planned to take them at 6, 10, 14, 18.5 (gel station), and 23. But after the first 3 I felt nauseous and my stomach was full and bloated. I didn't take another until I forced one down around mile 22 when I started slowing down so much. I had a substantial breakfast (but not more than normal before a race) but I think that many gels was just too much on top of the solid food. Live and learn!

My BQ time is 3:40. I would like to qualify this fall, but I'm not sure how it will fit in with the two 50-milers I will be training for this summer and fall. I'm going to talk to my coach about it tomorrow - for WI my marathon-specific training really only started in the last 4-5 weeks, so it might be possible. If I wait until Boston 2015, I get an extra 5 minutes (3:45 BQ) because I will be 40. Smile Badger has already qualified for 2014 so we will be there no matter what, even if I have to run the 5k again!

Trail Dog

What did you all think of the race itself and the course?  

The race organization was fantastic. Absolutely no complaints. I loved the packet pickup in Skokie, they had plenty of port-o-potties, race started on time, great volunteers, plenty of course marshals, race results posted within hours of the finish, and a reasonable registration fee.

I thought the course was okay. The lake views were great (when I thought to look!). I did not like the gravel roads on the full marathon course, and the paved roads were not in the greatest condition. I'm a trail runner mostly so used to uneven surfaces, but it was just not something I wanted to think about when trying to run fast while fatigued. But the tradeoff for more rural roads is that you really don't have to worry about cars. Also being so close to Chicago is a plus.

Overall I think it is a very good race, but I don't think I would run the full marathon again. Maybe the half marathon, if it fell at a good point in training for other races.

Runshortii

I haven't posted here in forever, I've been living under a rock since nursing school started but now that I'm done for the semester I have a bit more time on my hands!

I ran the half yesterday in 2:09. Nowhere near my PR (1:48), but it's been hard trying to train and balance school and work. So I guess I'll take it considering my longest long run was 8 miles and I never got much over 22 mpw. I ran it with a friend though, and it was a lot of fun. It's my hometown race and I love only having to drive 10 minutes there and 10 minutes back Smile I think I like doing races out of town more though. Since I run on these roads almost everyday it doesn't really have as much of a "race" atmosphere to me as other races have.

I'm planning on doing North Shore in 4 weeks to hopefully redeem myself! Anyone else doing North Shore? I ran it last year, and love the course. Hopefully it's not as hot as last year!

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Great job in Kenosha everybody! I wonder if the course has changed since 2011, I don't remember the gravel being any worse than the crushed limestone on the lakefront path, and I run almost exclusively on the roads (meaning Chicago sidewalks), so it seems like something I'd remember not liking. Glad that a few people got to connect and a few more hit their goals for the race, hope everyone is recovering well today.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

anneb

What did you all think of the race itself and the course?

I liked the course for the half marathon.  The only part I didn't like, was the part of the lakefront path that was really broken up. I had heard that would be the case, but honestly it was worse that I thought it would be. On the way back it was irritating because I didn't feel like paying attention to it, but I felt like if I didn't I would trip!

As we get into summer, I will run some more half's, but generally just as longer runs or long tempos or marathon pace runs. I will slow down once we get warm so it really depends on the weather. I would like to run some more 5/10k's this summer...since those pr's are soft. Along with marathon training, of course!

Anne

Duke of the Internet

Great job in Kenosha everybody! I wonder if the course has changed since 2011, I don't remember the gravel being any worse than the crushed limestone on the lakefront path, and I run almost exclusively on the roads (meaning Chicago sidewalks), so it seems like something I'd remember not liking. Glad that a few people got to connect and a few more hit their goals for the race, hope everyone is recovering well today.

Yeah no, my friend.  This was more like a country road with stones.  Not crushed limestone at all.   Definitely rocks.  I was running on the dirt shoulder of the road versus down the middle.  The bottom of my left foot is still tender from stepping on a bunch of the rocks as I was in the wrong type of shoes to be on that surface.  Still a fun event.  I wouldn't pick this race to try and PR although.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Yeah no, my friend.  This was more like a country road with stones.  Not crushed limestone at all.   Definitely rocks.  I was running on the dirt shoulder of the road versus down the middle.  The bottom of my left foot is still tender from stepping on a bunch of the rocks as I was in the wrong type of shoes to be on that surface.  Still a fun event.  I wouldn't pick this race to try and PR although.

That sucks, considering you and a few others are used to running on technical surfaces and still found it painful to navigate I'm going to have to guess they either changed the course or didn't maintain that area of it as well this year. Glad everyone had fun there though- this is actually my PR course, but my marathon PR is way soft. Maybe I'll go at it next year if they address the rocks. Great job pacing!

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.