Windy City Runners

November Mileage (Read 259 times)

mdawg87

Around 100 for me...give or take 5 miles.  I didn't really keep track as I was cautiously building back up.

Harry:  Nice to see you.  I wonder if Lance will be around for that HM given all that went down this summer?

Roxie:  You're surely not missing all the hills down here!!  Although I get needing hill training and having nowhere to get it!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Duke of the Internet

Around 100 for me...give or take 5 miles.  I didn't really keep track as I was cautiously building back up.

Harry:  Nice to see you.  I wonder if Lance will be around for that HM given all that went down this summer?

Roxie:  You're surely not missing all the hills down here!!  Although I get needing hill training and having nowhere to get it!

I like the profile picture you picked!

mdawg87

I like the profile picture you picked!

DH took it at this year's expo.  You win the prize for noticing/commenting first!

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

mdawg- good to see you again too! If there's anywhere Lance could get away with making an appearance and not getting reamed, it'd probably be Austin, but I doubt he'll show and hope he doesn't (one less person finishing in front of me!).

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Trail Dog

Thanks Roxie! I'm in the city and haven't had a car in a while (didn't need one enough to justify the cost), so that's a bit out of my range for a training run. I did the Publix Half in Atlanta this past March, so I plan comparing the elevation chart from that race to the one in Austin to see if I'll need to adjust for more hills. If this race is hillier than Atlanta, I just might fake an injury to avoid running it!

I lived in Atlanta for 8 years, and never ran any of the half marathons or the marathon. I think they scared me a bit with all the hills. I don't mind hills for trail running, but they scare me a bit in road races. I hear you on the Chicago suburbs being a bit far to travel for training runs - this is the primary reason I end up running so many miles on the Northshore Channel bike path or the North Branch Trail (both very close to where I live).

Runnerman Dan

Purveyor of peace & love

I ran the Atlanta Marathon last year and I'm pretty sure there wasn't more than 100 yards of flat in the entire race.  We were always going either up or down.

Duke of the Internet

I ran the Atlanta Marathon last year and I'm pretty sure there wasn't more than 100 yards of flat in the entire race.  We were always going either up or down.

I ran the half marathon on Thanksgiving in Atlanta.  I believe it was 2008.  It was the only year the weather channel sponsored the race.  The last five miles were all uphill.  I couldn't do steps in my house for a week.  Plus the medal was crappy.  Outside of that, I loved it.   I would do it again for sure.

mdawg87

I ran the half marathon on Thanksgiving in Atlanta.  I believe it was 2008.  It was the only year the weather channel sponsored the race.  The last five miles were all uphill.  I couldn't do steps in my house for a week.  Plus the medal was crappy.  Outside of that, I loved it.   I would do it again for sure.

I think the course has changed since 2008 (I also ran it that year).  I believe it now starts at centennial Olympic park and ends at Atlantic station...which doesn't make it any less hilly.

Dan:  That sounds like the Atlanta Publix half marathon I ran in March.  I don't remember any flat section except maybe the last 1/2 mile before turning left toward the finishing line.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

The North Shore Channel Trail is one of my favorite places to run, especially in the summer when the lakefront path is crowded. 

Dan, I don't know that there's 100 yards of flat in the entire city of Atlanta! The course for the Publix half was pretty fun though, I'd definitely do it again if the opportunity presents itself.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Duke of the Internet

I think the course has changed since 2008 (I also ran it that year).  I believe it now starts at centennial Olympic park and ends at Atlantic station...which doesn't make it any less hilly.

Dan:  That sounds like the Atlanta Publix half marathon I ran in March.  I don't remember any flat section except maybe the last 1/2 mile before turning left toward the finishing line.

I heard they changed the course.  I'm disappointed I didn't try and run the full marathon when I had the chance.  It was so cool that it was the same route as the olympic marathon course.  Now it's too late.  My loss .....

anneb

I lived in Atlanta for 8 years, and never ran any of the half marathons or the marathon. I think they scared me a bit with all the hills. I don't mind hills for trail running, but they scare me a bit in road races. I hear you on the Chicago suburbs being a bit far to travel for training runs - this is the primary reason I end up running so many miles on the Northshore Channel bike path or the North Branch Trail (both very close to where I live).

My runs from home are on the North Branch Trail! I've not made it over to the Northshore Channel path, though I meant to this summer. The NBT is about a half mile from home, so can't get much closer than that.

(Side note, when I first started running it all the time, I thought it was hilly. Well, it is if you're only comparison is the grid of West Town and the lakefront path! Smile But I have run in Atlanta, and that is real hills.)

Anne

Duke of the Internet

My runs from home are on the North Branch Trail! I've not made it over to the Northshore Channel path, though I meant to this summer. The NBT is about a half mile from home, so can't get much closer than that.

(Side note, when I first started running it all the time, I thought it was hilly. Well, it is if you're only comparison is the grid of West Town and the lakefront path! Smile But I have run in Atlanta, and that is real hills.)

Wow, you are really lucky.  I run on the North Branch Trail at least twice a week.  I usually do the dirt/gravel section from Tower down to Dempster.  It really is a nice run.  I especially like the loop that is just south of Beckworth.  I used to live a mile from the Des Plaines River Trail.  I must have run 3K miles on that trail over the years. 

Trail Dog

Harry, the channel trail is two blocks from my house. I prefer to run in the woods, but it is hard to beat the convenience! I'll probably be out there for a long run this weekend. Do you know if it is open after sunset? I'm finding it more and more difficult to squeeze in my runs before the sun goes down. I've only run the sections north of Lincoln and they appear to be heavily used by bike commuters.

Anne, I wish I was that close to the NBT! Less than 10 minute drive and I am at Harms Woods. I've run as far south as Devon, and north through the Lagoons. That is my favorite area.

Mapruns

It pays to be a member of the Morton Arboretum or to know a member who has guest passes. It is jammed packed on winter Saturdays, but less crowded during the week.

RA: is correct. It can get slippery. The overhang of the trees melts during the day and then refreezes. the Morton people who made their fortune on salt, don't salt to protect the trees. 

Roxie: Nice to see you here. I will be renewing mine in the next week or so so will probably have some guest passes in the new year.

Duke of the Internet

It pays to be a member of the Morton Arboretum or to know a member who has guest passes. It is jammed packed on winter Saturdays, but less crowded during the week.

RA: is correct. It can get slippery. The overhang of the trees melts during the day and then refreezes. the Morton people who made their fortune on salt, don't salt to protect the trees. 

Roxie: Nice to see you here. I will be renewing mine in the next week or so so will probably have some guest passes in the new year.

I never made the connection that Morton Arboretum is from the same people as Morton salt.  How funny.  I haven't been there yet.  Definitely this winter!!