Windy City Runners

Weeklies Dec 31 - Jan 6 (Read 190 times)

Sharz96

Anneb, I was looking at those Brooks Utopia thermal tights a litte bit ago, and while the comments were all positive, none of them indicated for single digit temps and below.  So it's good to see they work for you.  They are definitely under consideration now.

Roxie, those Silver Bullet ones look interesting, too.  That wind protection looks good, because that was what killed me this morning.  I know the combo I was wearing was fine in these temps last year, but apparently not with wind, too.  That Silver Bullet appears to be the best combo pant t I've seen for highly insulated, wicking AND very wind resistent, all in one layer.  You're right, though, they are ugly as heck.

I'm also considering the Mizuno Breath thermo, but I've only seen one reviews and it was not glowing.  I've seen and held the demo fabrics at a running store, and it makes perfect sense that they'd make fantastic shirts.  But I don't know if my legs sweat enough for the saline necessary to trigger the chemical reaction.   http://shop.run.mizunousa.com/p/mizuno-womens-breath-thermo-layered-tight/womens-apparel?pp=1000&pp=1000

Columbia is the one with the silver reflective dots, Omni-Heat Reflective, they call it.   They make one base layer pant, but they say it's for low to mid aerobic activity -- skiing probably.  http://www.columbia.com/Women%27s-Extreme-Fleece-Tight/AL8001,default,pd.html

And none of the running store sites carry it, so ... hmmm ... If it was great for snowshoeing, it would be worth getting just for that.

I can always just add my super thick UA pant over the UA Frosty tights. They are warm enough over almost any other layer; I wore them maybe twice last year, when temps were 5 and 0. But I really didn't care for such bulk.  That pant is from 2008 and it's badly outdated in terms of weight/bulk vs warmth payoff.

Trail Dog

This is exactly why I was gravitating towards the Silver Bullet - the wind protection. Unfortunately Running Warehouse did not have my size, and I had gift certificates to use so went with the CWX Insulated (I love their other tights). I hope I don't regret it!

FYI Dick's Sporting Goods in Lincolnwood has the Columbia base layers in stock. Upstairs, on the wall behind the rows of gloves (who knew there were so many types of gloves out there? LOL). I almost bought a pair of the heat reflective gloves, but I looked up some reviews on my iPhone and I wasn't convinced it would be any better than wearing regular gloves or mittens with a thinner glove underneath.

Roxie, those Silver Bullet ones look interesting, too.  That wind protection looks good, because that was what killed me this morning.  I know the combo I was wearing was fine in these temps last year, but apparently not with wind, too.  That Silver Bullet appears to be the best combo pant t I've seen for highly insulated, wicking AND very wind resistent, all in one layer.  You're right, though, they are ugly as heck.
      JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Intervals at Golfview (Niles).  Warm up coming, so hoping to get outside for long run next week.  That would be 10 miles for me and DW.  3 months to go !!!!

Sharz96

...(who knew there were so many types of gloves out there? LOL). I almost bought a pair of the heat reflective gloves, but I looked up some reviews on my iPhone and I wasn't convinced it would be any better than wearing regular gloves or mittens with a thinner glove underneath.

Yeah, the variety of gloves are just mind-boggling.  And the prices!!  I saw $65 on some at REI and Ehrwon.  The ones that tempt me are the gloves that have the windbreaker mitten that pulls out of a little pocket on the back of the glove.

Trail Dog

I ran 6 miles recovery today. Tomorrow is the Windburn 6 hour race, but I'm only running 3 hours (max) because I have Frozen Gnome next weekend.

Sharz96

I stopped at Sports Authority in the Gurnee mall tonight just to see if they had any of the tights I was looking at.  They had the Columbia Onmi-heat base layer pant, so I bought it.  I shall see how it works this weekend.

TennisKid1192

Kevin

Ran 4 miles.

This was my longest run since I last ran 4 on August 19, 2012 haha. I tried out the virtual pacer on my FR 10, but still ran ahead of the pace I wanted. My pace was actually a little faster than the 3 miles that I ran a couple days ago =P. Also it was only 10 seconds slower than my last 4 mile time which is strange because today I was running in the snow... and in the dark.

Oh well =]. Have a great weekend everyone!

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

Duke of the Internet

Ran 4 miles.

This was my longest run since I last ran 4 on August 19, 2012 haha. I tried out the virtual pacer on my FR 10, but still ran ahead of the pace I wanted. My pace was actually a little faster than the 3 miles that I ran a couple days ago =P. Also it was only 10 seconds slower than my last 4 mile time which is strange because today I was running in the snow... and in the dark.

Oh well =]. Have a great weekend everyone!

I just picked up the FR 10 a month ago.  I didn't even know it had a vitual pacer.  How cool!

TennisKid1192

Kevin

Yup! I think it would be pretty handy... if I listened to it and it somehow found a way to force me to slow down =P. It kept telling me I was ahead of the pace I set, and I think what happened was I would slow down just a little then speed up again haha.

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

Sharz96

10 miles in my husband's home town.

I wore the Columbia Omni-Heat base layer under my UA Frosties.  The silver dots are more than hype.  At the start of the run, it was 4F with wind chill--same as Friday's run.  I was warm enough, and by an hour later, the sun was well up and the wind dropped and I was actually a little over-warm.  When I got back, the skin of my butt and outer thighs was cold to the touch, but they didn't feel cold at all on the run. The muscle areas of quads and hamstrings didn't feel cold to the touch, and they usually do, too, in these temps.  So the silver dots really did reflect enough heat back to keep the muscular areas warm, and the fatty areas not as warm, but enough that they didn't from feel cold during the run.  It didn't do anything to block wind, of course, and if the wind had stayed the same the whole run, maybe it would have defeated the dots.  I don't know. I still want a wind pant, but I may go for a light one to put over the Columbia silver dot base layer, since the Columbia is more than enough for insulation.