Windy City Runners

Weeklies Dec 24-30th (Read 202 times)

TennisKid1192

Kevin

Heavy snow in Evanston? What?! I'm barely 15 minutes from there and there isn't a sign of snow here. [Guess I should be thankful though]

8 mile progression run on our new treadmill. Thanks Santa.  Smile It is snowing quite heavily here in Evanston, I'm guessing 3 inches or so in the last few hours.

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

Trail Dog

Kevin - I just measured and we have at least 4 inches since 1/1:30 this afternoon. And that was measured in a somewhat sheltered location between two houses.

Jerry - I am a member of Weber Park, but will be canceling my membership now that I have the treadmill. I'd like to go to yoga and pilates, and still may try a few of those classes before canceling. I've run on the indoor track a few times, it is nice! Good to know I can still use the indoor track even if I cancel my fitness membership.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Amanda: Since my wife started running a year ago, I haven't been on the TM. She won't use them.  So we either run outside or the track, usually Weber, but sometimes Niles or Glenview.  Maybe we'll see you at Weber.  We are the oldest runners there (but not the slowest).

Sharz96

2.6 easy ... but not as much as it should have been.  Dead legs from doing lunges I'm not accustomed to.  Clearly, I need to GET accustomed to them.

Trail Dog

Has anybody run on the North Branch Trail since the snow hit Skokie/Evanston/Wilmette areas yesterday? Either the bridle path or the paved bike trail, just wondering what the conditions are. Smile

anneb

I haven't been on it since weds. but even then there were some icy patches but not much snow. I'll probably be out sorta early so I'll post an update Smile

Anne

Sharz96

Great morning.  3.71 miles at my favorite forest preserve.  Cold enough to make a warm house feel SO nice, and doubly enjoy some lovely 100% Kona coffee (holiday treat!) as I contemplate my stats and plan for next year.  Dec is now officially my longest mileage month ever at 71.7 miles and I'll run once more.  Maybe enough to take it to 80.

anneb

Ran about 10 this morning, from Dempster to Happ Rd and back, I would say it was challenging! South of Golf was more runnable (seemed like a truck had driven through) with crunchy ice and snow that was more packed. The rest was hard - especially the Lake Street overpass. I thought about wearing trail shoes but didn't - that probably would have been a good idea.

Anne

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

After the 1st snow or 2 of significance, for me, the North Branch bike path is not usable.  The surface becomes very uneven and slippery and even with YakTraks and such it's a royal pain.  In the past I've slogged through with a sense of adventure but it's just not worth the risk of injury.  Been there, done that.

Anyway, got in 10km on the indoor track today.  8 or so around my neighborhood yesterday.  The neighborhood route is doable up to 10 miles.  Beyond that my head explodes.  Time to reacquaint myself with the treadmill (tear rolls down cheek).

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Trail Dog

I ran 16 on the southern section of the DPRT today, from Dam #4 south to the very end at North Avenue (and back) . Very light coating of snow that was very well trampled down. Trail shoes were perfect. I don't mind the snow for long runs or recovery runs, but noway I would try to run for speed/pace runs.

I need to run another 10 tomorrow, on trails. However next week's scheduled progression and tempo runs will be on the treadmill. That Christmas gift came just at the right time... Smile

Trail Dog

Sharz - congrats on the monthly mileage PR! Do you have any races planned? And I love coffee. Love it.

Anne - I'm impressed you made it that far on the NBT. We drove by it on our way home from the DPRT, and the section that crosses Golf was completely unrecognizable. Which is fine if you dont mind trailblazing and treating it like a trail run. But wow... I guess I figured I had a few more weeks of good outdoor running before the snow stuck around. In Atlanta, this would have melted by now. Smile

RA - we just bought ourselves a treadmill. I see myself spending a lot of time on it this winter (but not until I get through the Frozen Gnome 50k in a few weeks, since I need to keep myself acclimated to the cold weather. What was I thinking signing up for a winter ultra? Yikes).

TennisKid1192

Kevin

3.15 today on my usual course. Went a lot slower cuz I had to shorten up my stride a lot when I got to this long stretch of snow/ice. Also, I tend to run in my shorts [and probably a hoodie] until it gets under like 20... or just depending on how I feel. I honestly felt like I got the craziest looks today haha. =]

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

Duke of the Internet

Congrats to everyone running outside.  I can't believe how fast the temperatures have dropped.  I'm waiting for a nice 40 degree day.  It will feel like 70 after the weather this weekend.

Sharz96

7.55 miles at the other nearby Forest Preserve.

Probably my favorite run in the last month.  About 22F but bright, sunny, almost no wind, and this Preserve is so well wooded that it breaks most of it. Makes for very pleasant runs with enough hills to be a bit challenging.   I put my Garmin on heart-rate, and just went with how I felt, and didn't worry about pace at all, except to be sure that when my HR went higher on hills, I took it easy enough afterwards long enough to really get it back down again.  The first 6.5 miles felt so good ... and then I hit the last mile all uphill.  Wiped me out but good.  Too much to continue on another .4 up that that blasted hill before I could turn around and come back down to my car.  Mondays are usually a rest day, but I'll run one mile tomorrow to get to 80 for the month.

Roxie: thanks, it's nice to finally get that monthly mileage PR.   I, too, love coffee.  Weekends we drink the good stuff--Gevalia, and just for Christmass, we got a package of the 100% Kona.

My next race will be the 3/30 Eggshell Shuffle in Busse Woods in Elk Grove Village.  I used to live there, did it last year, and liked it, so I'll do it again.  I'm looking for another about the 4th of July, for another fitness test to tweak training paces for HM training, but haven't settled on anything.

Anneb: what trail shoes do you use? Generally, do you have an opinion about going with trail versions of running shoe brands, or running shoe versions of hiking/trail brands (Merrell, for example)?   I'm thinking of getting some trail shoes, but not sure what I want.  Didn't need it last year, because we didn't get enough snow, but I doubt this year will be a repeat.

anneb

Sharz-- I don't run on trails too often so I have a pair of old Cascadias that I picked up for cheap. They are ok...just a little extra protection from wet stuff and they take the uneven surfaces a bit better.

So for all of you in the near N/near NW suburbs, where do you head for long runs when it gets snowy? My neighborhood is ok for 6-ish but gets a little... I have a feeling my treadmill arrived just in time! I see some long runs on that this winter, especially if I end up committing to a spring marathon. With the occasional snowy run, of course.

42 miles for the week...not too bad.

Anne