Windy City Runners

Monthlies-March (Read 25 times)

Kalsarikännit

I had some really great running going on, then I did something to my quad and kept trying to run twice a day on it and do workouts, but I managed to make it much worse (dummy).  I had to take most of last week off while I was limping around, but I still raced the Mississippi 50k on Saturday. I ran awkwardly and did something dumb to my peroneal tendon.  I had the cankle of a 400lb woman and couldn't put any weight on it this weekend. I haven't run since then. Of course I have a half marathon that I am still considering doing on Sat, and a 100k that I am definitely doing on the 23rd. I am frustrated because I really want to be putting in good mileage and workouts right now.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I had some really great running going on, then I did something to my quad and kept trying to run twice a day on it and do workouts, but I managed to make it much worse (dummy).  I had to take most of last week off while I was limping around, but I still raced the Mississippi 50k on Saturday. I ran awkwardly and did something dumb to my peroneal tendon.  I had the cankle of a 400lb woman and couldn't put any weight on it this weekend. I haven't run since then. Of course I have a half marathon that I am still considering doing on Sat, and a 100k that I am definitely doing on the 23rd. I am frustrated because I really want to be putting in good mileage and workouts right now.

Step 1:  Admit you have a problem.  Smile

That said, I feel the twinges of PTT returning to my right ankle.  Can't let that ruin another Boston marathon!

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Kalsarikännit

Step 1:  Admit you have a problem.  Smile

I didn't mention my drinking once!

I hope you feel better.  I hate big city marathons but Boston is really something special.

Duke of the Internet

I didn't mention my drinking once!

I hope you feel better.  I hate big city marathons but Boston is really something special.

I'm looking forward to Boston.  My "training" if you can call it that, has been lacking in speed and quality workouts.  However, I'm definitely going to enjoy the experience.  What 100K are you running?  Runasics and I are both doing the Cary half on Sunday the 17th.  He will beat me by 10 minutes.  He is a fast bugger.

Trail Dog

Hey everyone! Checking in quickly from Zambia. this is my last full night in Lusaka before I head back to Chicago late Saturday night. I will be back in Chicago Sunday afternoon, to what I hear are some reasonably 'warm' temperatures. I was actually in Ndola for the last week, up near the border with the Congo. I had a really awesome run there last weekend - headed north out of town and got within a mile or so of the border before turning back. The road got narrower and narrower and the people fewer and fewer until finally I started to get a bit freaked out being by myself and turned around.

Woo hoo, Cary is next weekend and I bet it won't be warm like last year!

WG, pretty sure I will be running the Lakefront 50k in two weeks. Badger too. I guess we won't see you there if it is the same weekend as your 100k.

Kalsarikännit

What 100K are you running?  

I'm a little slow on the reply. Big grin  I am running the New Jersey Ultra Festival 100k. That is my favorite distance, but I am still gimpy and my mileage has stunk for the last month. I did the half marathon on Sat and completely stunk. It was bad. But I'm not to worried. Great races don't typically happen a week after a 50k. Besides, I got to see a bunch of friends and drink enough fantastic beer to kill an elephant.

I have always wanted to do the half in Cary. I hear great things about it. Good luck to all that are doing it. I would love a race report. I have always wondered if it is truly hilly, or if it "hilly" by the Chicagoan standards that results in much crying and whining about the 17 foot hill at the end of the marathon.

I always volunteer at the Spring 50k and Fall 50k/50 mile when I am in town. I'm sad that I won't be there to watch you guys run. Good luck. I will cross my fingers for a windless day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

NBT still looks like a mess.  Need some warmer weather to get ready for my HM in 4 weeks.

Trail Dog

Thanks for the update, Jerry. I was just coming here for a status update on the NBT. FYI, the Skokie channel path is completely clear. Especially the stretch through Lincolnwood as it appears they actually plow and salt that section. Also the Lakefront path is plowed and salted, we ran there on Monday.

Which half marathon?

NBT still looks like a mess.  Need some warmer weather to get ready for my HM in 4 weeks.

Trail Dog

I moved here from Atlanta so I know what hills look like. I'd say that Cary is definitely hilly, but nothing severe. ie, they are moderately steep but short. I think the issue with Cary is that most of the hills come towards the end of the race when you are getting tired so they feel very steep. But if you were to just run those hills during a training run they wouldn't seem too bad. I ran Cary last year and totally bonked on those final hills because I went out too fast. I have a real problem pacing during mid-length races because I start 15-20 seconds per mile faster than target pace and think to myself, 'wow this feels so easy!' then I bonk after 8-10 miles at that pace. So my goal this weekend is to start off conservatively.

Good luck this weekend! I've had plenty of 'bad' races that were made 'good' by what happened after the finish line.  And it always involves great beer. Smile

I'm a little slow on the reply. Big grin  I am running the New Jersey Ultra Festival 100k. That is my favorite distance, but I am still gimpy and my mileage has stunk for the last month. I did the half marathon on Sat and completely stunk. It was bad. But I'm not to worried. Great races don't typically happen a week after a 50k. Besides, I got to see a bunch of friends and drink enough fantastic beer to kill an elephant.

I have always wanted to do the half in Cary. I hear great things about it. Good luck to all that are doing it. I would love a race report. I have always wondered if it is truly hilly, or if it "hilly" by the Chicagoan standards that results in much crying and whining about the 17 foot hill at the end of the marathon.

I always volunteer at the Spring 50k and Fall 50k/50 mile when I am in town. I'm sad that I won't be there to watch you guys run. Good luck. I will cross my fingers for a windless day.

Trail Dog

BTW I am back in Chicago. I had a really productive business trip, but four weeks is a long time to be away from home. The running was lots of fun as I had a good mix of hills and some moderate altitude (4100-5100 feet, depending on which country I was in). Plus SUNSHINE! I have quite the farmer's tan from wearing shorts for four weeks. Wink

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We have never run on the Channel path, always opting for the lakefront instead.  Do you take it south of Lincolnwood?  How far south does it go?

We are running the Knoxville  HM ion 4/7.

Thanks for the update, Jerry. I was just coming here for a status update on the NBT. FYI, the Skokie channel path is completely clear. Especially the stretch through Lincolnwood as it appears they actually plow and salt that section. Also the Lakefront path is plowed and salted, we ran there on Monday.

Which half marathon?

Trail Dog

Jerry - I have not run the entire length of the Channel Path. I just clicked through it using Gmaps Pedometer, and the stretch from Green Bay Rd. to Devon is around 4.8 miles. Then it continues south to Lawrence for a total of 7.3 miles or so. However, in many areas there are paths on both sides of the channel and I only included one side in my estimate. It is scenic through the sculpture park, however you do have to deal with crossing busy roads. But the path is less than one-quarter mile from my house, so it is very convenient for a mid-day mid-week run. To deal with traffic I will often run on the west side north to Green Bay, then loop around the east side (Evanston) paths. The east road crossings are not at major intersection, and north of Golf the road crossings even on the west side are minor. Not sure if this makes any sense without looking at a map, but by looping like this I am able to do some faster running. Note that north of Golf the path is gravel/dirt, and it is extremely muddy in the rain or snow. I haven't been on that section in months. A shame because it is the nicest section (through the Evanston Arboretum).

I'm sure you and your wife will do great at Knoxville! I've only driven through, but I've heard it is a nice place to visit. Do you have family or friends there?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks for the info on the Channel Path, Amanda.  We will give it a try soon.  Yes, we do have family in Knoxville and my wife's nephew and his wife are coming out for their first HM too.  The course is hilly, so we might have to do some walking.  Should be fun.  We have been very delinquent on our long runs because of NBT snow, so we finally  got a 10 miler in today via Beckwith, Harlem, Lehigh to Park Center.  That's a good street route with light traffic and The GV library and Park Center are good for pit stops.  Hopefully, NBT will be dry soon for our 11 miler next week.  Maybe we will see you and Roxie somewhere.

Jerry - I have not run the entire length of the Channel Path. I just clicked through it using Gmaps Pedometer, and the stretch from Green Bay Rd. to Devon is around 4.8 miles. Then it continues south to Lawrence for a total of 7.3 miles or so. However, in many areas there are paths on both sides of the channel and I only included one side in my estimate. It is scenic through the sculpture park, however you do have to deal with crossing busy roads. But the path is less than one-quarter mile from my house, so it is very convenient for a mid-day mid-week run. To deal with traffic I will often run on the west side north to Green Bay, then loop around the east side (Evanston) paths. The east road crossings are not at major intersection, and north of Golf the road crossings even on the west side are minor. Not sure if this makes any sense without looking at a map, but by looping like this I am able to do some faster running. Note that north of Golf the path is gravel/dirt, and it is extremely muddy in the rain or snow. I haven't been on that section in months. A shame because it is the nicest section (through the Evanston Arboretum).

I'm sure you and your wife will do great at Knoxville! I've only driven through, but I've heard it is a nice place to visit. Do you have family or friends there?

BuckeyeNurse

Welcome back, Amanda!  Did you miss our gray skies and 30 degrees? Big grin  Sounds like you had an amazing time- hope it was productive work-wise as well.

I'm really looking forward to trying out some new paths/trails this spring once they're all clear.  The channel path is definitely on my list, although it sounds pretty confusing with how it links to different trails, etc.  Probably easier once you're there and can follow other people!  I'm also excited to get back on the DPRT, and to try out some of the forest preserves you guys have talked about.  Things will definitely be easier once the NBT is clear for daily runs!  Anyone know how it's looking now?  My neighborhood is pretty much 100% melted, but I imagine the NBT is still holding on to some snow and ice.

Stupid question- I know you guys have talked about running the "Barrington Hills".  Is there a specific forest preserve or trail you run out there, or just the general area?  I was out in Barrington yesterday and it seemed like such a beautiful area; I'd love to run out there but don't know where to go.  The hills would definitely be a shock after 8 months of flat Chicago running!

Sharz96

I ran 2.4 miles this morning for the first time since last Thurs.  I've had a cold and with the bitter overnight temps, it just didn't seem like a good idea to run even the past couple days once I was feeling a little better.  I am much better today, and it 20F, and I felt great.

I have a 5k next Sat and now I'm debating how to best prepare for that since my running took a sharp decline the past six weeks.  After 103 miles in Jan, Feb dropped to 69, and between sickness and snow/ice/sleet, I'm only at 21 miles for March.  Yikes.  I'm thinking of 5 miles tomorrow, another 5+ Sun--not sure how far. I'll stop before it's "pushing too hard" but I have no idea where that will be since I haven't run more than 5 in a month.  Rest Monday, 5 Tues, easy 3 Wed.  Then Sat race.