Windy City Runners

Beer (Read 22 times)

Kalsarikännit

I was going to respond to the last monthlies post with nothing but beer talk. I thought I might start up a separate thread for it. Ever group I belong to on RA has a beer thread (you drunks!), but I realized here there is the benefit of being able to discuss local brews and establishments.

Roxie, I've tried all the NG beers you have listed, but where I think they really shine is with the Thumbprint (previously Unplugged) series. This is their small batch, rotating stuff. It is pricier and comes in four packs, but is totally worth it. If you get up to the Ice Age Trail in Southern Kettle Moraine, stop by the LaGrange general store. They make the best sandwiches and sell solo bottles of the stuff. Plus the place has outdoor seating and is fille with other trail dorks. It is a great way to spend the day.

Harry, I tried Saugatuck Neapolitan Stout based on your swooning. It wasn't bad, but I didn't love it. HOWEVER, I do have a burning desire to make a beer float out of it.

I should be getting a bottle of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout this week. I'm a bit giddy.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Speaking of WI beer, the Lakefront Brewery tour is worth a trip to MKE.  You can sample before, during, and after the tour, but they discourage drinking from any puddles on the floor.  Any one been there?

http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

WG- great idea for a thread. I had the Neapolitan Stout again at Beerfest this weekend; I'd still rate it awesome, but I realize that it's a dessert beer more than anything. A float would be fantastic! Sidebar: I am not likely to get any KBS, so color me jealous.

Jerry- I'm a fan of Lakefront's brews, haven't done the brewery tour yet. I love going to the Milwaukee Brewing Company's Milwaukee Ale House when I'm up there. Right on the river, great food, great beer- definitely worth a stop next time you're up there.

Since this a local thread- what are some of everyone's favorite local breweries?

Answering my own question, my favorites Metropolitan (great to see a brewery focus on lagers rather than making another mediocre IPA), Revolution (close, convenient, tasty), Goose Island and Pipeworks.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Duke of the Internet

WG-I have been to the  LaGrange general store many times.  The last time was to cash in my "free" money for the KM 100K.  They do have good sandwiches!!  I will back there June 1st with bells on.

Wisconsin-I love the NG beers.  I like spotted cow and fat squirrel the best.  I'm not a fan of Naked beer.  I also like the Tyranena beers.  I not a big fan of the capital beers (Madison) or the Lakefront beers (Milwaukee).

Illinois-I love the two brothers beer.  The IPA and the Pale Ale are awesome!  I also enjoy Goose Island.  The Goose Island IPA is in my top three favorite beers ever.

Random-I actually like the new 6% alcohol Budweiser.  I'm surprised.  It's much better than expected.  I also like shiner bock from Texas.

Beer.  Drool.

Duke of the Internet

WG-I have been to the  LaGrange general store many times.  The last time was to cash in my "free" money for the KM 100K.  They do have good sandwiches!!  I will back there June 1st with bells on.

Wisconsin-I love the NG beers.  I like spotted cow and fat squirrel the best.  I'm not a fan of Naked beer.  I also like the Tyranena beers.  I not a big fan of the capital beers (Madison) or the Lakefront beers (Milwaukee).

Illinois-I love the two brothers beer.  The IPA and the Pale Ale are awesome!  I also enjoy Goose Island.  The Goose Island IPA is in my top three favorite beers ever.

Random-I actually like the new 6% alcohol content beer from Budweiser.  I'm surprised.  It's much better than expected.  I also like shiner bock from Texas.

Beer.  Drool.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Roxie, I've tried all the NG beers you have listed, but where I think they really shine is with the Thumbprint (previously Unplugged) series. This is their small batch, rotating stuff. It is pricier and comes in four packs, but is totally worth it.

Their IIPA is back out again for March/April -- I'm on a quest to go find it after work today!  I think I like it better than Hopslam.

And yeah, Badger, Capital Brewery is only okay.  My dad was telling me that they have a new IPA out -- I'll have to try it and give a review.

Running is dumb.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Two Brothers- those guys are great, I just don't consider them a 'Chicago' beer. Their 15 beers for 15 years series had some goodies packed into it.

Capital Brewery- I actually like them, a lot. They don't feel the need to throw a boatload of hops into all of their beers (I was surprised to see they were making an IPA) and their Oktoberfest is a favorite of mine. I'm hoping to hit up their brewpub (?) in downtown Madison next time I'm up there.

I saw the New Glarus IIPA when I was in Lake Geneva a couple of weekends ago, but had so many other brews already that I had to let it sit. I'm looking forward to the return of Totally Naked more than anything right now.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We are planning a trip to Three Floyds Brewery in Munster in the next month.  Supposedly their Brewpub is pretty good.

Trail Dog

I am new to the area so really digging this thread. I've had many of the IL and WI beers already named, but nothing really stands out as a favorite except Spotted Cow; a Revolution IPA I had on tap; and Goose Island Green Line. There is nothing super special about Green Line, but for some reason I always go for it when I see it on tap. It is a very local beer since it is only available on tap, and in Chicago.

I haven't been to any of the breweries in town yet. However, I *highly* recommend the Sweetwater brewery tour if you are ever in Atlanta. It's really more of a party than a tour - live band, pint glass, and 4 drink tickets (a pint each, anything they have on tap) for only $8. Plus a tour of the brewery, but many people skip it for the social scene. It's so popular you have to get there early to line up.

Trail Dog

I will be up there soon, and will definitely check it out. I don't know the area very well yet,  but I must have been real close when i was up there in Feb for the John Dick 50k.

Roxie, I've tried all the NG beers you have listed, but where I think they really shine is with the Thumbprint (previously Unplugged) series. This is their small batch, rotating stuff. It is pricier and comes in four packs, but is totally worth it. If you get up to the Ice Age Trail in Southern Kettle Moraine, stop by the LaGrange general store. They make the best sandwiches and sell solo bottles of the stuff. Plus the place has outdoor seating and is fille with other trail dorks. It is a great way to spend the day.

Duke of the Internet

Good call, I forgot about the greenline.  That is really good beer!!

Duke of the Internet

We are planning a trip to Three Floyds Brewery in Munster in the next month.  Supposedly their Brewpub is pretty good.

I never heard of them.  Interesting.  I hope it's good!!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I will be up there soon, and will definitely check it out. I don't know the area very well yet,  but I must have been real close when i was up there in Feb for the John Dick 50k.

They have a good selection of vegetarian sandwiches as well.  Perhaps that will be a good place for the crew to grab dinner in June.  Smile

Another good local beer from Wisconsin is Lake Louie.  (http://www.lakelouie.com/) I'd also recommend that if you're in the area.  I like their premium ale.

Harry, let me know the next time you're in town.  Bring up your woman!

Running is dumb.

Kalsarikännit

I'be hit a few breweries in Indiana. Based on my last visit I would have to say that Flat 12 is my favorite. It is in Indianapolis.

I also like Tyranena. I did a bike ride from the brewery for a big Oktoberfest celebration they have. Their Bitter Woman IPA is nice to keep around the house.

Badger, I love Shiner Bock, especially when I am in Texas. It is just one of those beers that makes me happy. (Numero uno happy beer?  Old Chub.)

My father is coming in town today. We are going to hit a couple of breweries this weekend. I still haven't been to Half Acre's tasting room (bad WG!).  I looked on Pipeworks website, but it severely lacks info.  Harry, do you know the deal with them?

Next on the bar list may be Bangers and Lace.  I know nothing about this place, but I see they carry a bunch of beers from The Breuery that I really want to try.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

From the daily thread- roxy, I wouldn't recommend trying SC w/a lemon even out of curiosity, but it will be interesting to see what you think after giving it a shot.

Re: Shiner - the GF is from and lives in TX and her only request when she comes up to visit is that there be a few cold Shiner Bocks in the fridge. I have no problem with this policy, as it is a favorite of mine as well.

Re: Lake Louie- I had their Radio Free Black IPA based on Mandy's recommendation and liked it, I didn't see it in stores when I went up there a few weeks ago or I would've smuggled some of that home along with the New Glarus.

Mandy- I'll definitely let you know; we're actually thinking about doing the Madison Mini this year!

WrigleyGirl- Pipeworks doesn't really have the space for a taproom or 'tours', they're completely small batch (they relied on a Kickstarter campaign to even get up and running) and to my knowledge deliver most of their beer to stores themselves in an old mini-van. I would recommend a tour of Metropolitan Brewing on Saturday, so long as you are a fan of well made lagers (they specialize in German-style beers). They're not too far from Half Acre and have some openings at 2:30 for $5 a pop that includes samples and (I believe) some swag. ETA- probably help if I included the link!