Windy City Runners

November Mileage (Read 259 times)

Duke of the Internet

150 miles for me. 

The lowest total of the year.  All of those 5k's and traveling for thanksgiving didn't help matters out. 

frank27

No kidding. That's usually your5 day total.

63 for me, almost all of it in the first 2 weeks. I probably won't do even close to that in December. Probably closer to 40

miniSx2

The Jogger

I"ll have to check my spreadsheet tomorrow...but I think I just about passed 200 miles.

26.2 2007-4:19, 2008-4:00 2009-3:42 2010-3:36 2011-3:18 2012-3:06 2013-3:04 2017-2:59 2019: 2:56. Few thuds in between.

Trail Dog

151.1 miles for November. I'm coming off of four months of reduced mileage (150-160) due to nagging injuries, but based on the success of some recent races I think it is time to start building for some early winter and spring races.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

A mere 167 for me.  Had hoped to ~200.  Lower due to 3 races, a few sick days and travel.  

5k XC: 18:10

5k road: 17:59

HM road: 1:23:34.  (new PR)

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Only 77 for me, which, following my 87 mile October, lead to my worst half marathon ever in Philadelphia. Probably for the best, as I needed a kick in the ass and have just started training for my winter goal race, the Livestrong Half in Austin, TX this February.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Duke of the Internet

Only 77 for me, which, following my 87 mile October, lead to my worst half marathon ever in Philadelphia. Probably for the best, as I needed a kick in the ass and have just started training for my winter goal race, the Livestrong Half in Austin, TX this February.

I have a good friend who lives in Austin.  He loves the city.  Good choice. 

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

I have a good friend who lives in Austin.  He loves the city.  Good choice. 

I'm pretty stoked to check it out, nothing like visiting a cool city in conjunction with a goal race.

Duke of the Internet

I'm pretty stoked to check it out, nothing like visiting a cool city in conjunction with a goal race.

You will have to report back and let me know what you think of the city.  He has offered to let me stay at his condo but I haven't had the opportunity to take him up on it.  Are you flying into Austin directly or driving in from a different airport?  He always drives from Chicago.  I think that's nuts. 

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

You will have to report back and let me know what you think of the city.  He has offered to let me stay at his condo but I haven't had the opportunity to take him up on it.  Are you flying into Austin directly or driving in from a different airport?  He always drives from Chicago.  I think that's nuts. 

I'm actually flying into San Antonio and then driving to Austin the night before the race and staying the day after, so I'll get a little bit of two different cities while I'm down there. Will probably fly back out of SA too, but still haven't finalized the trip just yet. Most definitely will include my impressions of both cities in my RR.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

San Antonio and Austin are very different...  try out the tollway between the two with an 85 mph speed limit (and tolls to match).   I've flow to both and driven between the two.  Have also driven Chicago-Austin.  2 days.  Lots of interesting places in Arkansas to visit along the way...  Train for hills.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

San Antonio and Austin are very different...  try out the tollway between the two with an 85 mph speed limit (and tolls to match).   I've flow to both and driven between the two.  Have also driven Chicago-Austin.  2 days.  Lots of interesting places in Arkansas to visit along the way...  Train for hills.

I've been warned about those- the problem being, of course, that Chicago has none. I have a route that takes me through the two-level Brickyard Mall's open air parking lot that I'll be hitting as often as possible in order to get much 'hill' training as possible in hopes it will suffice.

Trail Dog

Harry - if you don't mind running on crushed gravel, Sag Valley is a winner. No major long hills or climbs, but it is rolling throughout with some short but steeper hills. The yellow loop is 8 miles, here is the map. I just moved here from Atlanta, and have struggled with the flat Chicago terrain - Sag Valley is the best I have found. Downside is location in the suburbs (50-60 minute drive from Evanston). I've heard others mention Morton Arboretum for hills, but I haven't run there yet (I think it is paved).

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Harry - if you don't mind running on crushed gravel, Sag Valley is a winner. No major long hills or climbs, but it is rolling throughout with some short but steeper hills. The yellow loop is 8 miles, here is the map. I just moved here from Atlanta, and have struggled with the flat Chicago terrain - Sag Valley is the best I have found. Downside is location in the suburbs (50-60 minute drive from Evanston). I've heard others mention Morton Arboretum for hills, but I haven't run there yet (I think it is paved).

Thanks Roxie! I'm in the city and haven't had a car in a while (didn't need one enough to justify the cost), so that's a bit out of my range for a training run. I did the Publix Half in Atlanta this past March, so I plan comparing the elevation chart from that race to the one in Austin to see if I'll need to adjust for more hills. If this race is hillier than Atlanta, I just might fake an injury to avoid running it!

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

You have to pay to get into Morton, unless you are a member there or the Botanic Gardens.  There are two loops (4 mile and 2.75 mile with a parking lot and facilities between).  The loops are HILLY.   The surface is black top - interior sightseeing roads with light traffic.  They put sand down in the winter so it can be a bit slippery if there's snow on the ground. 

Note that the trails at Morton are for walking - no running allowed.  If you are caught running on the trails they release the hounds.

Austin has some serious hills, being in the Texas Hill Country.