Windy City Runners

Beer (Read 22 times)

Jeff F

Free Beer

Speaking of WI beer, the Lakefront Brewery tour is worth a trip to MKE.  You can sample before, during, and after the tour, but they discourage drinking from any puddles on the floor.  Any one been there?

http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/

I have been to Lakefront twice.  Both times went to MKE with several couples and drank lots of beer.  All I remember from Lakefront was it was a very low-key and fun tour followed by many good beers.  I would do it again...

I have been to Revelution a couple of times, my son lives around the corner.  I liked their Eugene Porter and they had a stout that was pretty tasty.

I do like a couple of the Two Brothers beers...

Someone at work was telling me about a new tap room out in the burbs, maybe Naperville.  Can't remember the name...anyone know this one?

Duke of the Internet

Speaking of Shiner.  If you haven't had their pale ale, try it.  It's really good.  I found it at the Binny's off of Lake cook road.  The binny's by my house doesn't carry it.

Very good

Very good

Not good

Trail Dog

It's not a local beer, but does anybody know when the new Lagunitas brewery is opening in Chicago? I also heard there are two new breweries opening in Evanston -- Temperance Beer, and Smylie Brothers.

Shiner had (maybe still has?) a prickly pear beer in their mixed 12 packs. I really liked it on a hot day. I like their Bock, but I like the Wild Hare Pale Ale even more.

Duke of the Internet

It's not a local beer, but does anybody know when the new Lagunitas brewery is opening in Chicago? I also heard there are two new breweries opening in Evanston -- Temperance Beer, and Smylie Brothers.

Shiner had (maybe still has?) a prickly pear beer in their mixed 12 packs. I really liked it on a hot day. I like their Bock, but I like the Wild Hare Pale Ale even more.

The blonde and Hefeweizen are also "good" but not as good as the other two.  Not a fan of Black Lager but I also don't like dark beers much.

Duke of the Internet

Come over to the dark side

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Jeff- I know Solemn Oath is out in Naperville; they're not 'new' new, but have only been open since last July, so maybe that's it? My local bottle shop actually has something from them on tap right now, but I've never tried any of their beer yet.

badger- I had the Shiner Wild Hare and Farmhouse at the Chicago Beer Fest this weekend, actually liked them both just fine.

roxie- funny, the only beer that I haven't really liked from Shiner is the Prickly Pear. Of course, I had it in the dead of winter at the beginning of February, so maybe it'd work better for me in the summer heat. The Lagunitas taproom/brewery is supposed to open in June, to my knowledge, I think they were originally scheduled for April but may have had to push that back a bit due to their owner already wanting to expand the scope of their Chicago operations.

Any of you fans of Schlafly down in St. Louis? They are to STL what NG is to Wisconsin in my opinion- a reason to visit in and of themselves. Their Pumpkin Ale is one of my favorite fall seasonals and they make a great beer for any of the traditional (and some non-traditional) style you can think of. I don't get to have their beer quite as often now that most of my friends in STL have moved, but a friend dropped off a sampler 12er last night, so I get to have some top notch brew with dinner tonight. Definitely worth going to their tap room if you're ever in St. Louis, and they do distribute to IL but nowhere north of Champaign.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We were in the area, so we went to 3 Floyds Brewpub yesterday in Munster.  No tour on weekdays.  Had the beer flight and pulled pork.  Both really good.  Heavy metal atmosphere, just like college last century.  Somehow, lunch crowd didn't fit the atmosphere (including us).

Jeff F

Free Beer

Actually sitting at home praying it doesn't rain this afternoon, so I can finally get in a round of golf.

Right now while eating some leftover steak and asparagus, I am drinking a Lakefront Brewery Anniversary Series Limited Edition Imperial Stout.  I may have to have two before I head for the golf course.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

If you haven't gone already, take the Lakefront tour.  Very funny and it includes beer.

Warning,  they discourage drinking any spillage on the floor.

Actually sitting at home praying it doesn't rain this afternoon, so I can finally get in a round of golf.

Right now while eating some leftover steak and asparagus, I am drinking a Lakefront Brewery Anniversary Series Limited Edition Imperial Stout.  I may have to have two before I head for the golf course.

Jeff F

Free Beer

If you haven't gone already, take the Lakefront tour.  Very funny and it includes beer.

Warning,  they discourage drinking any spillage on the floor.

We've done the tour twice...I think. Things were a little foggy at the end...